Dogomania

Vegetables

imported_Kat

fruits with pits(stones) obviously seed them before you feed. i think i read that avocado the pit and the meat were dangerous, but am not positive. i stay away from onions and garlic oh and grapes/raisins are a no no too. i guess anything in a great amount to start could upset tummy but you already know that. there are very few veggies/fruits that aspen won't eat -- he doesn't care for cherry tomatoes i think because they "pop" in his mouth and he doesn't care for red bell peppers. now gaia much like me has a consistency problem she doens't like mushy stuff. she won't eat strawberries or blueberries and i have to freeze watermelon before she will eat it.

grapes/raisins and onions are the only things you really want to stay away from.

there are veggies you don't want to overfeed (e.g. uncooked spinach and other "dark leafy greens" contain high amounts of oxalates) but fed in moderation they are not a problem as long as the dog doesn't have specific existing health problems.

don't try too many at a time, so you can keep track of whatever doesn't work for your particular dog, e.g. many get bad gas from raw cabbage-type veggies, so it's better to cook/steam them instead.

• 1 month later...

I can post to this thread now because my puppers like eating veggies! Jackie and Maya would never eat any veggies until they saw Pooh Bear gobbling down any veggies I would give him: carrots, cauliflower, broccoli. So now they like them too!

So I'm cutting back a little on their dry dog food and adding more veggies. And I give them baby carrots as treats (besides the regular dog food lite treats that they get).