Dogomania

For the Boxer lovers - Look what Merlins breeder got!!!

Aroura

so this guy bred these boxer to have bob tails because of the risk and the look....

so why not have gone the opposite direction and just bred them to have thicker tails???

oh wait wait.... it wouldnt look right :roll:

there's a boxer a couple blocks from here, he has his tail and he certainly looks like a boxer.

there's also a rotti here in town and he certainly looks like a rotti

I'm going to throw myself out to the wolves now by saying that I find little wrong with tail docking. Is it really that much more painful/inhumane than clipping off dewclaws? One can think up as many reasons as they like as to why one should crop a dog's tail, I think that's kind of grasping for straws of rationality. It pretty much all boils down to tail cropping being a traditional vestige left over from tax reasons, hunting reasons, using the tail as a handle, etc., etc... Reasons that in most cases no longer has any relevancy in modern times. So if the only reason to dock tails is tradition, is that reason enough to keep doing it? In my opinion, tradition is enough to have preserved so many breeds that no longer have their origional functional role to play in society, so tradition is good enough for me.

On another note (you can call me a hypocrite now if you like), but I don't really condone ear cropping as a whole. The exception being in some mastiff breeds that traditionally have cropped ears in order to make them look more fierce or intimidating than they really are to indruders, a part of their guard dog ancestry that they still fulfill today (though even on this point I'm not sure how I really feel about cropping). Other than that I view ear cropping as unneccessary surgery, primarily due to the dog's older age plus the use of anestesia etc. Going back to the tails, there's the obvious risk of infection but that is not a problem with proper attention. I personally compare tail docking/dew claws with circumscission. Seems like something of a double standard to think it's OK to do that to babies (even though they are evil and probably deserve it :D ), but it's not OK to do a comparable procedure on puppies.

Well, that went on longer than I intended as I'm sure there's already been several threads covering the topic quite thouroughly. With regards to Bob Tail Boxers I think it's an OK idea. That is of course taking Aroura's word that it was done responsibly. Selective breeding for different types of the same breed has been going on for a long time (either for good or ill), and I don't find Bob Tails to be any different. Dogs are after all, in the image that we design them to be, even if that means generating a new line of dogs in order to keep the traditional look of a breed where tail docking has been illegalized. I think the only point of contension I would have is if there is a temperment difference from the origional breed.

Agreed with everything Ravyn has said, you keep taking the words out of my mouth! But possibly one of the biggest reasons I say it is helping the breed (people can debate the tail injury thing as much as they want - I've seen what it can do and it ain't pretty!) but is because of the breeders who are no longer breeding due to the legislation. These are long time breeders who have strived for the health of the breed, if they stop breeding people who know nothing about the breed will take their place and god knows what the future has in store for Boxers.

[quote]I'm going to throw myself out to the wolves now by saying that I find little wrong with tail docking.[/quote]

[quote]On another note (you can call me a hypocrite now if you like), but I don't really condone ear cropping as a whole. [/quote]

Agreed and agreed! 110% :D

if breeders stopped breeding because they cant mutilate their puppies then too fricken bad.

tail injury seems to be your only "reason" for cropping, but like it's said before, every single dog and breed can get "happy tail", pit bulls and danes get it alot but you dont see breeders chopping their tails off(except the idiot byb's who think it looks cool)

I for one dont agree with docking, cropping, dew claw removal, declawing, de-barking, etc.

unless there is a real reason to do so, like if the dog is going to be used in the field, that's a valid reason.

but just a house pet or a show dog...nope

[quote name='Ravyn']And its not that breeders will stop breeding. Its that GOOD breeders will stop breeding, leaving the field wide open for every BYB wanting to make a buck to even FURTHER mutilate the breed, not by tail docking, but by creating boxers with horrible heart problems, hip problems, eye problems or cancers, too large or too leggy or too long in the muzzle (or too short!) and with awful temperments. Boxer lovers do not want the boxer as they know it to go extinct. Same as any other lover of any other dog breed. Preservation of the breed as it is and as it is meant to be is key. Bobtails allow that without compromising the look of the dog, or putting it through any possible pain by docking surgically.[/quote]

Yes, and that is what is beginning to happen here, some of the best breeders aren't breeding anymore, that is, until now, now they can use bob tails instead. Most people here are all for responsible breeding, now if you know anything about breeding you will know that responsible breeders are few and far between, it is in dogs best interest if we keep these breeders so that dog buyers have an option to buy a well bred dog over a puppy mill dog.

[quote name='Kiwi'](which has reared it's ugly head here and led by a MP who doesn't even own a dog :roll: ) [/quote]

I think it's the same most places - it's all about politics, not the welfare of the dog, the people who pass these laws don't know a thing about dogs :evil:

As for only docking the ones that are going to working homes, aside from what you said - there is no reason for it, why not dock all the pups? There is substantial evidence that the pups don't feel a thing, unless the owner to be doesn't like the look (like one weim owner I know who has a weim born before the laws came in, with a tail) then there is no reason why a whole litter of pups should not be docked.

My Papillons dew claws were left on. I was going to get them removed when he was desexed but the vet said they should be fine and to remove them as an adult can cause a lot of trauma (have to cut into the bone etc). He has torn them numberous times, and hates having them clipped - the rest of his nails stay worn down by running around.

Believe me, I know about the damage a Boxer bum can do :o

Here is an updated picture of Elmo

[img]http://www.dogzonline.com.au/images/profiles/53/10167_172.jpg[/img]

Meg will be arriving to Australia today and remain in quaruntine (I think) for a little while longer, I'm looking forwards to updated pics of her :wink:

That's what I was looking for too Ravyn! But now that I have one that isn't so dark I am happy with that :wink:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1146.jpg[/img]
How's that for making your girls tail look non existant? :lol: