Dogomania

For the Boxer lovers - Look what Merlins breeder got!!!

Aroura

I knew she was getting another dog, I knew it was going to be a bobtail, I just knew it! But she denied - wanted to keep it a secret, now she's let the c@t out of the bag and I was right! But lo and behold, she's not getting one, she's getting TWO!!!

Can't wait to meet these little angels :angel:

[url]http://www.dogs.net.au/boxberry/page4.asp[/url]

I guess maybe because it is the canine councils duty to keep these dogs as natural looking (natural meaning what they are [i]meant[/i] to look like, in a Boxers case meaning no tail) as possible, when governments bring in stupid laws banning docking (it's not cruel, it prevents injury, it should be the breeders decision whether or not to dock) the canine council makes an exception to keep this breed looking like it's supposed to. They are Boxers through and through. It is a problem when so many of the experienced breeders who have been in the breed for decades, stop breeding because a Boxer no longer looks like a Boxer, these people need other options to keep the breed what it is - at a recent Boxer specialty the overseas judge commented "The Boxers here (in Australia) are outstanding, and are far better quality than from my own country", lets keep it that way huh? :wink:

[quote]I guess maybe because it is the canine councils duty to keep these dogs as natural looking (natural meaning what they are meant to look like, in a Boxers case meaning no tail) as possible, when governments bring in stupid laws banning docking (it's not cruel, it prevents injury, it should be the breeders decision whether or not to dock)[/quote]

if they were MEANT to be tail-less then they would be born without tails

what you mean is what MAN WANTS them to look like...not what they are naturally.... :roll:

there is NOTHING naturaly about cutting a dogs tails or ears off.

yea yea nothing natural about spay/neuter either but it prevents health problems and more overpopulation.

[quote name='ESSlover']I kinda feel the same way AAP, but I guess I'm a hipocrite cuz I like the way alot of it looks. [/quote]

Same here! I love cropped ears on pits but as I have said so many times I would never have it done myself.

And the whole thing about docking being a health concern has been discussed many times.

Like Ravyn said, the idea of having a natural bobtail instead of docking is great BUT I find it ridiculous that they made it into a project where the dogs are nothing more than an experiment. :roll: Who knows what happened to most of the dogs in that project... PTS maybe? :(

speaking of the whole cropping for safety thing..ESS did ya ever notice how it's the SHOW breeders who crop but the majority of FIELD breeders do NOT crop :-? isnt that funny? they say cropping is for the safety..yet the dogs who work all day still have their tails but the dogs who just get pranced around the ring are docked?

i've spent a good deal of time checking out ESS breeders...there are a couple of field breeders that dock some of their dogs..but most of the ones i found do not dock their dogs tails....yet every single show breeder docks because "its' the standard" :roll:

and honestly how many boxers do you know that work???

tail injuries can happen in any breed, maybe we should dock all of them? :roll:

CC - The guy who originally breed these has devoted his life to it, it is not just "an experiment", he has used nothing but his best dogs in this breeding program. I don't know what he did with the ones that didn't turn out, you'd have to email and ask him I guess, but he is not a backyard breeder breeding designer mutts, he is a genetisist using his knowledge to preserve the "look" of the breed.

Anyway, Rowie, you wanted to see some more Merlin so here he is :angel:

First up, a group shot:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1138.jpg[/img]

What the heck, another :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1142.jpg[/img]

And a couple showing off his head and conformation, which I took for his breeder - she's very happy about how he's coming along!!!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1144.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1145.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1164.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1146.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1166.jpg[/img]

Oh, and I just can't help myself, here's Monty in his little jacket I bought him for his birthday :fadein:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Aroura/PhotoLibrary-1171.jpg[/img]

He's not quite as big as Diego yet, but he's 5kg heavier - he's a little beef cake! :)

OMG hes gotten so big! Hes so cute! :angel:

Well to me that guy wasnt being responsible. He bred hundreds of dogs, and they were mutts, although now they are considered purebred. All for a bobtail.... which isnt very important to a dog that isnt going to be working, only showing. Thats just my opinion but I stand firm in not agreeing with his breeding of all those dogs.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']speaking of the whole cropping for safety thing..ESS did ya ever notice how it's the SHOW breeders who crop but the majority of FIELD breeders do NOT crop :-? isnt that funny? they say cropping is for the safety..yet the dogs who work all day still have their tails but the dogs who just get pranced around the ring are docked?

i've spent a good deal of time checking out ESS breeders...there are a couple of field breeders that dock some of their dogs..but most of the ones i found do not dock their dogs tails....yet every single show breeder docks because "its' the standard" :roll:
[/quote]

Yup. All feild springers that I've seen have full tails, so that the hunter person can see where they are. But, purebred full tailed springers look funny to me. One on MAESSR, his tail was so fat. It looked really funny to me. I think the person adopting the puppy should get to pick whether the dog to be cropped or not, it shouldnt be the breeders choice to do all of them..

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']Well to me that guy wasnt being responsible. He bred hundreds of dogs, and they were mutts, although now they are considered purebred. All for a bobtail.... which isnt very important to a dog that isnt going to be working, only showing. Thats just my opinion but I stand firm in not agreeing with his breeding of all those dogs.[/quote]

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can say with 100% certinty that my next Boxer (which wont be for many years) will be a bobtail. Part of the reason why I got a Boxer in the first place was because of it's lack of a tail, now I have one with a tail and it's cute, but I prefer not to be beaten up by a big strong tail, now that there are bobtails in Australia I will be able to do that. The incidence of tail injury's in Boxers is tremendous, every day I worry about Merlin. It's just good to have the option of getting a Boxer without a tail, without the breeder having to break the law to make it that way :wink:

Yes he will be, I'm sure. He's turning out so nicely, it's hard to tell what he will be like at the moment, he is going through so many stages, the only thing he MIGHT have going against him is that he may turn out to be long in the body, but seeing as Boxers are a head breed it is not a huge worry. The other Boxers in my area are pretty medeocre, well, until this girl moved over from Scotland with this stunning dog, now Merlin has some tougher competition :wink:

Nice pics Jeanne :D

Taking the bottom line that as animal experimentation will never stop, not in my lifetime and not in anyone else's on this board, I'd rather see dogs be experimented on for something that will eventually benefit themselves than be experimented on for perfume or shampoo.

Wow, great post! :D

I understand your point of view, but I still have mine: I dont think he shouldve bred those dogs. I dont agree with the reason behind the breeding. Period! I have my reasons as you have yours. And BTW I didnt call the bobtails of today mutts, I meant the ones generations back. Sorry if I didnt make that clear.

Merlin is only going to get bigger! :wink:

Good point BK. It is hard for some to see that it [i]will[/i] benefit the breed as a whole, but living in a country where docking has been banned, and being in touch with many of the Boxer breeders in this country, I can assure all of you that in many ways it is benefitting the breed.

Ravyn, excellent post! Sound's like you are well educated on the matter :D

Ummm, okay, Im sorry to bring this up again, but how the h*ll is it helping the breed to get rid of its tail? I know you keep saying its for health reasons but like was said before, then why not do this for every breed then? You rarely see labs and pits that have thick, wagging 24/7 tails being docked or bobtailed!