Dogomania

Stopping them from digging...

Aroura

How do you stop a dog from digging in the yard? I've heard all the tricks, eg planting water balloons - but my guys dig holes in the actual grass, not the garden (which makes sense because I don't have a garden!), so I can never predict where they are going to dig. So, what do I do???

do you have any idea what they're digging for?are they burying things, or trying to dig something up? I would think, if they're not burying things, like toys or food, there may be something under your lawn that they are trying to dig up. moles or voles come to mind......the live underground and dig tunnels.....gophers too. check your yard and see if there are any small holes already there. be careful, people have broken their ankles stepping in gopher holes by accident. If you see small, 3 to 6 inch holes,
in your lawn, you may have gophers or moles. my next step would be to buy regular ground black pepper, and pour it in the holes, then fill them in with a light layer of dirt, then pour more black pepper on top. same with the ones already dug. when the dogs go to sniff the holes, they will be caught up in a sneezing fit. one or two of those usually stops them.
this wont hurt the dog at all, just make them sneeze alot.

8)

Ah, their own digging pit... silly me I didn't even think of that! I'm usually the first to recommend it to other people though... DUH! :roll: :lol:

Actually, I think the problem here with a digging pit would be that the only place I could have one would be on the outskirts of the yard, or in their run, and once they start digging there they just dig straight out! I've actually filled some holes around the outskirts of the yard with poo, but thankfully (I guess??) they don't do enough poos to fill all their holes! LOL.

Great idea with the pepper court, I may try that. I don't think we have moles, voles or gofers here but I'm sure there's something they're digging for, the way they smell the ground, snort it all up, then dig. Oh I love giving the dogs annoying consiquences to their naughty actions :evilbat: :lol:

I use chicken wire I had some problems with Mandy digging under the fence and then Toto following her :roll: when we first moved here so I put chicken wire a couple of inches under the dirt, covered it back over. Mandy only tried once I was the dirt over the chicken wire misplaced she never did it again. They absolutely hate the feeling of their nails on the chicken wire as you could imagine.

[quote name='Cairn6']I use chicken wire I had some problems with Mandy digging under the fence and then Toto following her :roll: when we first moved here so I put chicken wire a couple of inches under the dirt, covered it back over. Mandy only tried once I was the dirt over the chicken wire misplaced she never did it again. They absolutely hate the feeling of their nails on the chicken wire as you could imagine.[/quote]
I was going to reccomend that for the digging pit so that they wouldn't dig too deep and manage to dig out. Unless they don't like chicken wire, that's what you can do to make sure they don't leave the yard/kennel, Aroura. :wink:

My yard is far too big to chicken wire the whole ground. As for chicken wire in the holes, I'll give it a go but I have a feeling they'll do the same as Free did - Merlin in particular loves to run around with anything he can pick up, he's been running around with a broom for the past few days... if only I could teach him to use it to sweep the house... oh, that would be the day :lol:

Another prob with the digging pit is that they would probably still dig at other peoples houses, seeing as they spend a lot of time visiting other people (and digging up their yard) I'd rather teach them not to dig at all - another reason I like the pepper idea :wink: