Dogomania

Giardia?

Well, my family and I just got back from our vacation to our cabin in the mountains. There is a lake about ten minutes away that we would go to quite a bit with the dogs, and while we brought their water dish they still drank from the lake. Is it possible for them to get giardia (sp?) from drinking the water and if so, what would be some warning signs that they contracted it? I know that humans can get it from drinking from that lake because I know someone who has before and I was just wondering if dogs are able to get it as well.

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']Ummm.....you don't get a warning.

The dog gets BLOW OUT diahrea. There's your warning!

We went through this with the GSDs. It was pretty bad. Our white one lost 10 pounds in a week.[/quote]

:o :o :o Oh my. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Girardia is passed through beaver poop, among other things, so any lake can have it. It is just far more likely to be picked up in still water as DO suggested. When we canoe we take our water from moving streams or from the middle of the lake - improves our odds. I've been hit by it once. Everyone has different tolerences for it - I found it inconvenient mostly. My boys drink straight out of the lake, right at the shore or not far off the shore for our entire trip, no problems yet.

So glad no one seems to have gotten it!

Now, I have been meaning to bring this up. Years ago when I lived in Estes Park a giardia vaccine was offered and recommended by the vet. Now in Grand Junction, I have asked for it but have been told two different things by two diff. vets. One: we don't offer it here because the cance of getting it is so low. Two: (from current vet I trust more) it is no longer being used because the risk of side effect is high compared to the limited protection it may offer.

Anyone else had a similar story?

• 2 weeks later...

My #2 daughter got Giardia as a kid......she went on vacation with some friends to their lake.....
The poor kid was crapping water(that's what it looked like) !!!!!!! Took her to her Ped. and she tested positive for Giardia !!! It wasn't a pleasant experience !!! :lol:
At least she made it to the toilet, imagine a poor doggie that can't control it......... :o