Dogomania

Decisions, decisions....

izzy

Well if you don't remember... my wife wants a dachshund and i was looking for one, i've been sending emails to breeders and i'm on the waiting list of one also i'm looking in the shelter but until now i haven't found one.

So yesterday i got a call from the shelter, they told me they found a female dachshund who was abandoned because [b]she's pregnant![/b] :evil: the vet says she's about 4 weeks pregnancy.

I went to see her and she's so pretty and well behaved, the history they told me is: she was a family dog but her owners never fixed her and they let her roam loose, so she got pregnant the first time last year and the father told his daughter that if Tina (that's her name) got pregnant again she had to go! (what a jerk). Well it happened that idiot took the dog and kicked her out! :bad-words: and now she's looking for a home.

Honestly i can took her and i'm starting to think i will, but the responsibility of take care of the puppies will be hard work (i'm gonna need some help!) especially because nobody knows who's the father, so i just hope it wasn't a big dog. Later i'm gonna take my wife to met Tina, and we'll make the decision.

I'll keep you updated.

get her x-rayed Iz..that can tell how big the pups are for her size...I hate to say it, but if the puppies are too big for her to handle, a spay/abortion may be best. I dont agree with this on many levels, but to save the mama and prevent further pregnancies, this may be best. only an x-ray can determine that...

I am SOOOO sorry...

:cry:

Yesterday we went to see Tina and got back home with her :roll: i'm gonna take her to my vet today and i'll ask for the x rays.

She reacted well with the other dogs and had a good night sleeping in crate, no accidents in the house.

The bad news... my camera is broken i need one urgently or you'll never forgive me for have a new dog and no pics! :oops:

Later i'll post the results of the x rays and what my vet said about it, thanks for your thoughts.

This case is tragic, but way too popular. It seems this has become a "trend".

Bless you, Izzy, for taking Tina under your wing. Taking in one dog alone is amazing, let alone one that probably has many on the way. You rock! I'm so happy that you decided to take her to your vet and let her stay with your crew.

I must say, if we don't have photos, I demand some questions answered. What size doxie is she? What kind of coat does she have? What colour is she?

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you all :)

The vet says she can have the puppies :D , the x rays showed 4 pups well sized, so here i am... a whole new backyard breeder :-?

We're switching to puppy diamond food and the vet gave Tina some vitamins and calcium tablets.

[quote]I must say, if we don't have photos, I demand some questions answered. What size doxie is she? What kind of coat does she have? What colour is she? [/quote]

Tina is a standard smooth hair dachshund, she's red, or brown.... she looks like Annie (Goo's dachsie) I need a camera! :roll: wife wanted a black and tan, but Tina got first.

If you have some advices for breeding they're welcome, i think i'm gonna spent lots of time in that thread. :)

if Tina is able to care for them its not a big issue. but you wont know that til they're born...so stock up on puppy milk substitutes (most can be gotten at pet stores) small ounce baby bottles, towels, and if she wont care for them at all (sometimes happens) then a heat lamp to keep them warm.

they will be born blind. they will need to be fed by bottle every few hours.
they will need warmth,a secure spot, and quiet.

they will huddle with each other if mom wont help, but fed seperatley while being cuddled. if mom wont help them, you have to become mama dog to them.

in most cases mama will do this all. just a warning in case she wont.

YOU'RE A DADDY!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Izzy good for you for taking in Tina! You and your wife have such huge hearts.

It is likely that Tina will look after her babies and feed and care for them if they are all a decent size. If they are on the big size you can supplement their feeding with some whelping milk to help Tina, in case she isn't producing enough milk.

Its all quiet for the first few weeks but once those little weiner puppies start to open their eyes and explore then the fun begins :lol: You will cope just fine, I know you will and we are all here to support you if you need anything at all :wink:

go get a little disposable camera with flash. when you get the pictures developed have them put on a CD. then you can load the CD in yourPC and upload pictures....

those of us too poor to buy a digital camera do this all the time....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks again... i just left Tina at the vet, she was acting strange and i though she was about to have the puppies, she will be there today for observation just in case she need help with the delivery... i'll post news later.

Well, i guess i need to get a camera asap before you reject me from the board. :)

No Izzy! Take pics of her while she's pregnant, then pics of the newly born pups, then an updated pic of each pup each hour, everyday for the next two months.. :lol:

I guess we can forgive you for not taking a pic of Tina while pregnant, but if we don't get pics of four new born puppies we will be very, very upset. :evilbat:

:lol: :P :lol:

I promise you'll have pics very soon.

Tina is still at vet's, maybe she will be in surgery this afternoon (that's now!) because the vet told me she was starting to smell bad :( maybe she is having problems with the puppies and need to be operated. This is the opportunity for Tina to get spayed, i'm gonna call the vet now. Keep this little girl in your thoughts, doesn't matter if you don't have ai image of her yet :P

I'll update you later.