Dogomania

Agressive behaviour towards Boyfriends dog.

DobieGirl

I have a year and a half old male doberman. I also have an Am-Staff female, and an Am-staff puppy Normally my Doberman (Sirius) is fine around the other dogs, he gets Jealous if I pet them but he never gets agressive. My boyfriend has a 5 year old black lab, at first they got along great but as time went on they started getting into fights, I've stopped patting the lab completly as Sirius gets way too jealous. It's become really bad, Sirius will go looking for him and when he finds him (usually sleeping) he'll chase him out of his bed and pin him in a corner where he'll growl or just chase him around the house, and if thats not bad enough, while the lab is here (who does not show the slightest agression towards Sirius) Sirius gets really agressive towards the puppy, and snaps at it and pins it in corners... normally they are best friends, he just becomes a ball of nerves and runs around growling at everyone and everything, about an hour after the lab leaves he finally calms down and goes back to his loving self. I don't understand this behaviour, the lab is the most docile dog I've met and never challanges him, he usually just sleeps. Any help on why he may be acting this way?

• 1 month later...

It is not uncommon for dogs not to get along, especially same sex situations. Why do you want so bad for your Dobe to be with other dogs? Why not just keep him separate if there is a problem? IMO the biggest mistake people make is forcing dogs to get along. Some dogs just don't like other dogs! By forcing them to get along you not only risk injury to the dogs but you also risk injury to the people involved who get in the middle of it. Also, once a dog gets into one fight there is usually no turning back and dog aggression will escalale and become a problem for the life of the dog.

I also read and responded to your other post regarding your dobe's nervous behaviour. This "may" be related to the dog aggression. Sometimes (but not always) dog aggression can be a fear based reaction. Often times a confident dog won't initiate any fights becasue they won't feel the need to unless they are actually being challenged. On the other hand, a weak dog is always feeling threatened and sometimes will start things to try and "scare that threat away". I am guessing this is the situation in your case.

My advice is to keep your Dobe separated from other dogs, especially other males. By putting him in these types of situations you may actually be lessening his confidence which is the last thing you need. YOU become the dogs fun, don't worry about the other dogs. IMO dog to dog socialization is over rated and not necessary in most cases.

Good luck.

question -- what happens if you are not there and boyfriend pets lab? same response? if so . .

this sounds like classic resource guarding -- humans being the resource. when the lab is present sirius is on edge. lisa made a good point which is that not all dogs like all other dogs. just like you don't like everyone you meet. even still he can learn to tolerate them and not go snarly face when the lab visits. you will need to work with him and you will need an accomplice. for now the only time good things (treats, praise, attention, etc) happen are in the presence of the lab. in other words the lab makes good things happen. for now you have to think about management. if you want to pet the lab put sirius in a crate or in the yard if you have that luxury. to train reward lavishly if sirius stays calm when the lab is near--make sure he understands that the lab is the treat predictor. you're gonna have to gradually get closer and closer to the lab until (may take a month or many) you can speak to the lab, and ultimately pet the lab while your accomplice stuffs food into dobe's mouth. he does not have to like the lab and he certainly doesn't have to interact but he does have to be tolerant and not overtly rude. i would never leave them alone together.

i feel like i say this to everyone but work on a watch me command so that when he sees the lab he automatically looks at you for treats. if you need more help with watch me -- shoot me a pm.

also for general resource guarding and ways to modify this behavior check out 'Mine!' by jean donaldson it is fairly small and cheap but full of helpful info.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm pretty sure my boy just hates the lab, in the past few months Sirius has been introduced to many new male dogs and he loves them. I'll have to wait until the lab comes home to try the new approach. The b/f is gone away to school for the next year and the lab is with him. Hopefully when they finally come home Sirius will have calmed down a little.