Dogomania

a 3rd/4th/5th dog

steve

if, or you may be at this time, considering getting another dog in addition to the ones you already have, what breed would it be ?

As for myself weve already got a short legged jrt and a ridgeback x , recently i have the urge to welcome into our family another dog, just gotta break the news slowly to the wife :D i fancy a rottie bitch,cus my other two are bitches, i have the space for all 3 dogs and time, the only thing in short supply at the mo is cash lol,.

so lets hear some of your dreams/hopes for the future..........

Well, I have four now. Two GSDs and two Chinese Cresteds. Both of which I always said I would own.

I know that I will ALWAYS have Cresteds. But I know my husband loves labs. And I just adore Irish Wolfhounds.

But he and I agree on one thing. We will NEVER get a puppy again. He really, really enjoyed rescuing Tater (who is 8ish years old) and just kept saying how good it felt. So he said that when we are ready to get a lab (which will be YEARS) that we will go to a breed rescue and adopt an older one.

[quote]if, or you may be at this time, considering getting another dog in addition to the ones you already have, what breed would it be ?[/quote]

A border collie or a border collie mix. (Preferably mixed to mellow out some of that energy, since some days I just don't have the time to take really long walks.) I currently have a border collie mix and her energy level is just right for me. We did try to adopt another BC but my dog didn't get along with him. If we find the right one though I'd still really like to have another. :D

We'll be adding another dog in a year or two, when our little girl is old enough to understand how to help out with some of the care.

Normally I'd just adopt some mutt, but I'll be wanting a guardian dog, so I'm definbately looking at specific breeds. Probably an American Bulldog or maybe a Corso.

No more for now! Kes has the energy of 10 dogs! :o When she matures (probably when shes about 10 years old :roll: ) then I'll consider another one which will of course most likely be another Border collie....i'm a glutton for punishment!. :P Other breeds I would consider would be a hungarian vizsla or an alaskan klee kai.

Yeah Vizslas are beautiful dogs! :o :D

The top of my list is always going to be mutts I think
but otherwise:
(note: I wouldnt get any from a breeder)
[list]
Wolfdog
German Shepherd
Akita
French Mastiff
Great Dane
Newfoundland
Great Pyrenees
Saint Bernard
Bullmastiff
Mastiff
Neapolitan Mastiff
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Boston Terrier
[/list]

as a quick side point,, I find i have more of a bond to dogs then humans.....this must just be me .....the wife is convinced i need help of the mental type :D ..........but i will say this ive never been let down etc etc from a canine....anyone else feel the same way ?

i would like a newfie, newfiemom! :wink: anything big and fluffy, a st. benard, berner, tibetan mastiff...
If I could ever discipline myself and only have one pet I would get a Caucasian Ovtcharka, which is a large Russian flock guardian. Apparently they are a lot of work and not really good with other animals, but I would take on that challenge. They are gorgeous, too, like Pyrs but with a brown/black coat.

seems im gonna have to hold off for another 'child' my ridgeback is developing a certain measure of aggression ..shes hit the 12 month mark...but with carefull care etc, she'll soon conform [for want of a better descriptive word]

Hee hee! You mean, like a Pyr? :roll:
I actually went to ThunderHawk's website yesterday (was this who you talked to?) after I posted this, and they do have a lot of temperament similarities to a pyr, but the pyr is softer and more tractable.
They are soooo gorgeous though!!!!!!! :iloveyou:

I know, I like how detailed they are about their breedings and their guarantee and how they make it perfectly clear that this is not the dog for everyone.
Flock guardians are similar in temperament, but the Pyr actually has the reputation of being the friendliest. (and keep in mind, compared to a labrador, the pyr is stone cold! :D ) And Pyr owners are in denial, we don't think of it as "lack of obedience", rather "Selective deafness".... 8)
The main difference, and it is a big one, is a Pyr will not attack a human threat. They are a lot more likely to just "get in the way".
But like they said on the site, if the dog is socialized and trained and knows "good people" from "bad people" you won't have a problem.

I remembered that I also love the look of the English Cocker Spaniels. They come in the most beautiful colours and I just can't resist! I'm a sucker for a pretty dog. :)

I also adore Rough Collies! I just think they are the cutest, prettiest dogs and they also seem very mellow & laid-back. I had a friend who had three and she said that they love to just laze around on the couch. Then, when she wanted to take them herding, it was like they were Border Collies. Guess their herding instinct kicked in!

However, by the time I get to Aussies and Border Collies, I don't think I'll be owning anything but them. I'll want every colour Aussie and many BCs. I looove these two breeds. Kat's new BC baby is [i]killin'[/i] me! I want her so bad!!

• 2 months later...