Dogomania

should I get a dog?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hello all. have been following ( and enjoying) this board for some time now and I hope to draw on your collective wisdom
Well, I really, really, really want a dog 9 for the longest time), but I am concerned about few things:
- I am at work at least 10 hours a day, and often more.
- I live in an apartment, high-rise building
- I am single, so no one else at home during the day
- I have no interest in small or toy breeds
- I have enver owned a dog before ( but have been extensively exposed through my ex-girlfriend who owned two, assuming their care for few days stretches)
The idea is to go to the local sheltter and get a young animal, but not a puppy , or find an breed that will likely fit my lifestyle.
I am worried that these conditions would not be fair to my would-be canine companion.
So..should I give up this idea? or start my search?
and please, please, don't say...get a cat
all other (even harsh) criticisms, suggestions, would be helpful
thanks,
M-
:wink:

Hi there,

To be honest your work schedule sounds a bit hectic, but I admire your honesty in giving full details.

Would you even be able to come home during the day to walk/ interact with a dog? That would break up the c. 10 hours. Nobody can be with a dog all day and I think now rescues are getting very picky about that expecting people to be a stay at home parent for their animal but in the real world it can't work like that. If you can perhaps get home during your lunch break then I would suggest an older dog. A puppy or a young dog will demand a lot of attention and need trained whereas an older stable dog will be quite content usually and will have settled away from the curious puppy stage.

For some breeds, apartment living is fine. Dogs don't need a huge garden to run around as long as they are given frequent and adequate walks/runs in parks. I would think that a little cross breed of a medium size would be your best bet. Something around 5 years old ?

Also you may want to consider a retired greyhound. They make lovely very sweet natured pets and contrary to speculation they don't require loads of space to run. They are actually very placid sedate dogs and adequate walks every day is good enough to suffice their energy requirements.

I had a look on Petfinder but you didn't mention your state so I didn't list any of the dogs I found.

p.s. welcome to Dogo :wink:

[quote]Also you may want to consider a retired greyhound. They make lovely very sweet natured pets and contrary to speculation they don't require loads of space to run. They are actually very placid sedate dogs and adequate walks every day is good enough to suffice their energy requirements. [/quote]

Thats what I was going to suggest. Greyhounds are great dogs, not very active inside and as long as they get a chance to run regularily are probably fine. Though since they should never be let off leash and you don't have a yard it might be difficult finding a fenced area to let it run free.

A puppy is probably not for you, but an older dog thats housetrained and past the puppy destroying stage and could probably be left to roam the house might be fine. Believe it or not many large dogs are not all that active. I think the dog would be okay with a couple short walks every day on the days when you're not home, and on days off you can the dog can go for some good walks, maybe at a local park or nature trail or something.

Good for you for adopting, and doing your research too. :D

I have left my dogs for 10 hours before and they seemed fine but it does bother me. I think that a retired racing greyhound may work nicely for you but you may want to hire a proffesional walker or hire a trusted neighbour to let the dog out for a quick pee in the middle of your work day.

Smaller dogs can use doggy litter boxes - they make them and special litter but I don't know if they make a doggy litter box big enough for a larger breed and an adult might not take to using it anyway.

Oh man, I seriously thought a bulldog might be good, but you said 'small'. I have a black lab, and I wouldn't recommend labs for sure for your lifestyle. Mine is lazy and prefers being inside but he loves his outside play time catching the frisbee, and likes to go spend some time outside during the summer days. In the winter he won't go outside to go the bathroom unless you go outside shut the door behind you, and wait for him :lol: Anyways...What's wrong with small breeds? I want to get a King Charles Cavalier myself, and they are small dog and I've only had large dogs my whole life. I'm surely not gonna tell you to get a c@t, I hate when people tell me that. Greyhounds seem like fun companions. My friend has a husky mix dog and let me tell you the sweetest thing ever. I'd go for around 2-3 years while the puppy stage is fading or gone. Your young you should get a younger dog.

I think as long as you're willing to spend time with the dog when you are not at work, you'll be fine.

A retired greyhound is a good idea. You could also check some rescues and look for older dogs. Perhaps a dog over the age of 7. The rescue would have a good idea of the dog's exercise requirements. Older dogs are usually harder to adopt out and deserve loving homes as well. :-)

Good luck!

a retired foxhound will work too...yes, I have one. they are smaller than greyhounds, but have the same basic make up. after having been run/hunted for many years, they are usually MORE then ready to be a couch potato...

my foxhound is as laid back as they come. hounds are very affectionate animals, and gentle creatures to boot. they do good in apt's once they have matured.

they are NOT good in apt's as puppies...

8)

My dogs are left alone for 14 hours a day but they are in a kennel run complete with dog houses toys and water. I am thinking of giving them a TV. My concerne with your situation is the potty thing, and boredom. My dogs can't last that long without having to go potty and they would rip to shreds anything that can't run from them. :wink:

I don’t think your work schedule is a problem. Believe me there is nothing better after a long hard day at work than coming home to an animal that is sooo happy to see you.

We are away from home for about 12 hours each week day and our dogs are left alone that whole time. However I have two dogs so they have each other and we live in a house so they are able to run around and play in the back yard while we are gone.

I think living in an apartment would require that extra bit of dedication on your part to make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise and plenty of time outside. As long as you are prepared for that then I say go for it.

If you are able to come home to tend to your puppy during say, lunch break, work is not a problem.

However, if you live in an apartment, its not fair to get a large dog. You said you weren't intrested in small dogs.

May I ask why not?

I'd also like to add that I am a beginner dog owner myself, so don't take my advice TOO seriously.

Something to consider while living in a high rise apartment and having dogs...

Will you be willing to get up several times a night and take the dog out if it gets sick or has upset tummy? That's a lot more effort than just opening the door and letting it into a secured yard. A bigger dog is going to mean bigger messes when that dog isn't able to make it to the elevator/stairs, down, and then outside to the designated area (and potentially dribbling on the elevator/stairs and hall on the way out, which will all need to be cleaned).

Certainly not trying to change your mind. It's just something to think about because, eventually, all dogs get that dreaded case of midnight trots. It would take a lot of commitment to be willing to clean up after them constantly if you couldn't get them out in time, or get up several times a night and go out. I just wanted you to think about whether you're up for it.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Something to consider while living in a high rise apartment and having dogs...

Will you be willing to get up several times a night and take the dog out if it gets sick or has upset tummy? That's a lot more effort than just opening the door and letting it into a secured yard. A bigger dog is going to mean bigger messes when that dog isn't able to make it to the elevator/stairs, down, and then outside to the designated area (and potentially dribbling on the elevator/stairs and hall on the way out, which will all need to be cleaned).

Certainly not trying to change your mind. It's just something to think about because, eventually, all dogs get that dreaded case of midnight trots. It would take a lot of commitment to be willing to clean up after them constantly if you couldn't get them out in time, or get up several times a night and go out. I just wanted you to think about whether you're up for it.[/quote]

Good thinking 99, I never thought of that.

[quote name='kittygirl109']If you are able to come home to tend to your puppy during say, lunch break, work is not a problem.

However, if you live in an apartment, its not fair to get a large dog. You said you weren't intrested in small dogs.

May I ask why not?

I'd also like to add that I am a beginner dog owner myself, so don't take my advice TOO seriously.[/quote]

I think the person said they didn't want a puppy...

But why isn't it fair to get a large dog in an apartment? Most dogs sleep while their owners are away anyway, so there's not much of a difference as long as the dog gets lots of regular excercise.

We lived in an apartment for about three years with Lucky. Yes, it was more of a hassle to go down the elevator 4 times a day but it can be done. And I don't think he was unhappy because he wasn't in a house, and he's a big dog. He did get about a two hour walk every day though.

But if you're dedicated of course it can be done without a problem.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos'][quote name='kittygirl109']If you are able to come home to tend to your puppy during say, lunch break, work is not a problem.

May I ask why not?

I'd also like to add that I am a beginner dog owner myself, so don't take my advice TOO seriously.[/quote]

I think the person said they didn't want a puppy...

But why isn't it fair to get a large dog in an apartment? Most dogs sleep while their owners are away anyway, so there's not much of a difference as long as the dog gets lots of regular excercise.

We lived in an apartment for about three years with Lucky. Yes, it was more of a hassle to go down the elevator 4 times a day but it can be done. And I don't think he was unhappy because he wasn't in a house, and he's a big dog. He did get about a two hour walk every day though.

But if you're dedicated of course it can be done without a problem.[/quote]

I think it depends on how deticated. I just think the dog wouldn't have enough space. Again, I don't have much experience with this, its just my opinion from what I know.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that you could make it work. It's going to be long and difficult, but if you want a dog as much as you say, then I think that you can do it. Is there a particular reason you really want this dog?

To add what has been said: I would own a big dog in an apartment. It [i]can[/i] work. Any dog can be suitable for apartment living as long as the owner makes an effort. Kevin and I have family friends who own a Border Collie and they live in an itty, bitty loft.

Are you talking big dog, like a Great Dane or a medium-sized dog?

However, some dogs have much lazier sides than others. Border Collies are usually go, go, go. A Lab, for example, will just chill out on the couch and watch you have a beer. Or, if it's my fianc