Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

What are the top 10 ways, you can ruin a dogs behavior?

Guest Anonymous
I would have to agree that people who let the dogs get away with anything. What I've seen most often firsthand is people with little dogs who think that the dog acting aggressively is cute. Most people would not consider that cute in a 150 pound St. Bernard (insert your own breed here) why do they think it's cute and alright in a 5 pound dog? :x

Well treating dogs like humans like everyone said can be the a good cause but also abandoned them in the backyard for long periods of time with no attention and excluding them of socialize can be the other way to have a bad behaved dog.

Agreed. You can work with an aloof, even fearful dog. A dog that thinks it is entitled to your bed and your dinner is a lot easier to "demote", and also a lot more likely to get in trouble with his teeth.

I agree with you guys somewhat. But do you earn treat's, just because??? No. They are given to you because you are loved.

I treat Smokie like he's my pet, but also like he's a smart loving creature, and a part of the family. But sometimes I do just give him treats because he's loved. It's my privledge to have him. He didn't pick me or us, and I can reward him once in a while just for being special to us.

But I do think it's important for them to know they are dogs. I just have a some-what different way about thinking about it.

Ash, I agree with what you are saying, too. But you have a healthy and normal regard for your dog which still means he is a dog to you, not a baby or something. Nothing wrong with a little spoiling!

[quote name='Ash']I agree with you guys somewhat. But do you earn treat's, just because??? No. They are given to you because you are loved.

I treat Smokie like he's my pet, but also like he's a smart loving creature, and a part of the family. But sometimes I do just give him treats because he's loved. It's my privledge to have him. He didn't pick me or us, and I can reward him once in a while just for being special to us.

But I do think it's important for them to know they are dogs. I just have a some-what different way about thinking about it.[/quote]

and thats fine if your dog respects your place in your pack and doesnt try to usurp your authority. some dogs do. Laurel is a wimp, if I look at her the wrong way she will lay down under my desk. Free is different and needs tobe "managed" by NILIF and MY pack rules. she knows this. I honestly have to say that Free would be a problem child for a first time or unknowing dog owner, cuz she'd take over in a heartbeat and be running the whole show. the dogs personality has a lot to do with it. so does its breed.

Xavierandrea had issues with her rotties, a dominant and guarding breed and she has 3 of them. they were fighting. and her son got bitten for trying to intervene. This is when pack rules, demotion, NILIF and nothing without earning it is VITAL to both the dog and the safety and welfare of the people in the house.

you have to take every situation as individual. no one proclamation of "this works" will work for every dog. it depends on the dog, the human and the circumstances. I personally have never seen NILIF fail, but its also not always necessary, depending on the above.

8)

I would say the best ways to encourage bad behavior is (in no particular order):

1. Treating your dog like a human
2. Letting the dog be the boss
3. Don't do any training
4. Don't spend much time with the dog