Dogomania

Update On Clea(Screw Worm)

Ok for those of you who didn't read my earlier post the day I discovered the wounds on Clea here's what happened:
I woke up early to give Clea a bath and went out to notice actual flies swarming around her, I found that really weird, since I've never let her get THAT dirty, and also noticed a FOUL smell, but thought she's dirtied herself in some manure, not until i started to bathe her did i notice a large lump, under her ear area with a deep hole in the center. I was so shocked at first, I had no clue what it could be and just started jumping to conclusions.. After I was done showering her I took her for a walk and waited for my mom to get up, then we took her to the vet, who informed us that A screw worm fly had made a lovely little home in her and layed eggs, which had hatched into larvae. That's when I broke down, I didn't know how I had let this happen, I just felt so bad that I had caused all that. I now know that it was not fully my fault as I am not Clea's sole caretaker, I don't even feed her,but i find it ridiculous that out of 2 adults and 2 children, no one noticed. The vet said that it develops rapidly though so..but I still feel responsible, and incredibly guilty. I learned the hard way, unfortunately at her expense, but at least it will NEVER happen again.

To help educate others I've researched about it and here is some vital info.:
[quote]
[b]Screw Worm Fly[/b]
Nature of the disease
Larvae of screw-worm flies (SWF) are obligatory parasites of mammals, including humans. The disease is due to the larvae of the flies which causes lesions known as myasis that can be fatal and causes serious production losses.
There are two screw-worm flies (SWF), the Old World screw-worm (Chrysomia bezziana) and the New World screw-worm (Cochliomyia hominivorax).

Classification
OIE List B disease
Susceptible species
All domestic livestock and companion animal species are susceptible. The greatest economic losses are in cattle, sheep and goats.
SWF strikes also occur in various wildlife species and in humans.

Distribution
The Old World SWF occurs throughout much of Africa, the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, south east Asia and Papua New Guinea.
The New World SWF is endemic in parts of Central and South America. It has been eliminated from the United States, Mexico and several Central American countries. An outbreak in Libya in 1988 was eradicated after an international effort sponsored by FAO.

Clinical signs (see pictures)
Adult female are attracted by skin wounds or navel of newborns where they lay hundreds of eggs. The myiasis occurs when the eggs hatch and the larvae burrow into body tissue.
Strikes may occur at any site on the body and range from insidious to large gaping wounds. In a heavily infested herd 10-15% of animals may be struck at any one time. Signs include:

Ragged, foul-smelling lesion containing SWF larvae (maggots)
Constant licking of the lesion by the animal
Secondary infections and strikes are common
Fever
Lethargy and loss of appetite
Debilitation
Decreased growth rate
Mortality rate in newborn calves from navel strike may be as high as 30-50%

Post-mortem findings
Skin lesions will be seen:
Ulcerative lesion with liquefactive necrosis of muscle and skin
Serous exudate
Mass of seething larvae
Extension of lesions into body cavities and associated pleuritis, peritonitis or sinusitis is not uncommon
Lesions emit a characteristic pungent sickly odour [/quote]
For more info, and pics go to [url]http://www.spc.int/rahs/Manual/Multiple_Species/SWFE.HTM[/url]

OH! Silly me forgot to actually update :oops: , the first visit he took out a lot of the larvae, put in medicine, gave her an antibiotic and then some iodine for us to apply the next day. the day after that we went back and he taught me how to do the wound dressing properly, and also gave us some pills that she'll start taking tommorow. She's already on a speedy road to recovery and with time she'll be all better. Were taking her back to the vet on sunday.. wish me luck! :wink:

the proverbial poo happens. not your fault Nad....flystrike is not uncommon at all, I got my Golden Lab with it, but his wounds were on the outside, so you could see it. underside of ear is harder to notice. you caught it and got help, thats all that matters.

8)

More recent update! :D
Clea's now off the pills, and the wounds are healing nicely, we took her to the vet yesterday and he said to continue the daily treatment(also gave us some "green oil" its called, to add) and she should be fine.
Sooo as a reward for how good she's been, I took her to the park and she went NUTS! Chased a ball for literally half an hour! :lol: