Dogomania

Determining age?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I tried to do a search to see if this was already asked, but didn't really turn up anything. Sorry if it has and I missed it.

I recently got a puppy - I had a customer on my delivery route (work for the post office) and I saw Pit Bull pups in their back yard. The person who was there at the time didn't know too much about them, just that the people renting their guest home would be moving soon and the pups needed homes. I'd been looking for a Pit pup for a while, and even though I didn't know much about them I picked one out after I was done working.

Now, it's been ages and ages since I had a puppy - my GSD had to be put down about 4 years ago due to pancreatic cancer. Is there any way to determine how old the pup might be? He does not have any of his adult teeth in, and I'd guess he weighs over 20 pounds already.

Any insight would be most appreciated. :)

Guest Anonymous

:o First off... I am not trying to be rude....

[quote]I'd been looking for a Pit pup for a while, and even though I didn't know much about them I picked one out after I was done working. [/quote]
Does this mean these particular pups or pit bulls in general?

If you had been planning on buying a pit bull you should have looked into a reputable breeder instead of buying from a byb. In my opinion the thing most hurting pit bulls are the bybs and anyone buying from them is contributing to the problem.

Teeth are usually the best way to determine age.

Guest Anonymous

I've had several pit bulls in the past - and most of them have come from back yard breeders. Not all are bad, and I have to say that yes, I am pretty offended by the statement.

*shrugs*

crazy, thanks for your guess - it's about what I had estimated.

Guest Anonymous

I didnt mean to be rude but if you are offended, oh well. So am I. I am offended you can claim to enjoy a breed you are helping destroy. Take a look around you. Why not buy from a reputable breeder or adopt one from a shelter? Instead you are encouraging those filling the shelters to continue to do so.
What you just did was let everyone on this board know you support BYBs. Not a good thing.
You obviously either dont know what is going on with them or are just turning your back on it. No, wait... you are supporting it.

Guest Anonymous

We usually age animals by their teeth. I work as a vet tech and we are always ask how old do we think the animal is?? Most pups under 4 months wil have their tiny puppy teeth. They start to fall out around this time and sometimes a ton at once. You can see the big teeth moving right in. If the adult teeth are in and super bright white chances are a geustiment of is they must be around 6 mos to 2 years. Usually a two year old dog has tarter building on the teeth. After 2 it is a crap shoot on aging since certain breed are more prone to dental decay and problems then others. Also you never know if the prevous owners had any dentals done on the dog.

Since it's a pitbull and weights 20 pounds already I bet it is between 4 or so months. My pitbull male is just 45 pounds now and he is 1 year. My female is 5 years and is 60 pounds of muscle on your lap lol.....

Hope this helps!

Guest Anonymous

I wasnt doing any bashing, simply letting her know what the deal is. She got offended because I was informing her. Im not going to tiptoe around and try to icing everything over. Everything I said is true.
My breed gets hurt everyday by BYBs and I will let anyone and everyone buying from one know how wrong it is. You cant claim to love the breed and then help continue to destroy it.
Forgiven for my mistakes? By who? I for one can say for a fact I am doing nothing to hurt the breed. It is quite the opposite.