Dogomania

I think my friend is going to adopt this little guy!

My very good friend had to put her 18 year-old Lhasa/Shitzu mix boy named Gizmo down last month, and I think I found her a new pupper! His name is Ricky, and he's from the same shelter I adopted Jackie, Maya and Pooh Bear from. He's a 5 year-old rough coat Jack Russell, and he sounds like the perfect dog for her! She's going to call on him tomorrow.

Isn't he just adorable?
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.4629250-1-pn.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.4629250-3-pn.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/MN09/MN09.4629250-2-pn.jpg[/img]

and this is what they say about Ricky:
[quote]Notes: Ricky is a 5 yr old neutered male Jack Russell terrier. He is tan & white rough coated, and weighs 20#. He was originally surrendered to a shelter, but because of medical issues, was not going to be put up for adoption. Thankfully, they called Second Chance to see if Ricky could come into our program. The little dog has luxating patellas ( loose knee joints) in both back legs. This condition is not uncommon in small dogs. Ricky has had this condition for so long, that he has learned what he can, and can’t do, and has limited his activities accordingly. This condition is not a problem for him , but if either leg would become a problem in the future, the adopter should contact Second Chance. We will have the dog evaluated AT OUR VET at no cost to you, and if surgery is indicated, we will cover that cost ONLY IF IT IS DONE AT OUR VET. Ricky is fine with some dogs, but not all. He was adopted out, but returned after 4 months because he and the resident dog weren't getting along. Yet in his first foster home, he got along well with the 3 residnet dogs. If you want to try to pair him with another dog, it must be submissive and mature – even if you bring your small dog along to meet Ricky, and things go well, things could change when the dogs actually live together. Ricky might be best as an only dog. No experience with cats. He will not be adopted out to a family with young children, that could engage Ricky in play that is too strenuous for his legs – will need a mature child 10-12 yr and up. He should be kept to a moderate activity level. Ricky just wants to be loved – and he enjoys cuddling . Sleeping in bed with his person is something he’d like to be able to do. Housebroken – good for 8-9 hrs – runs to the door when he needs to go out. Kennel trained, but is so well behaved that he has free run of the house when left alone. Knows “NO”. Usually – but not always – comes when called. Ricky has a lot of energy when outside– a fenced yard would be ideal. Inside, he is mellow and very well behaved. Doesn’t chew. Quiet - seldom barks. Good on leash, and loves to ride in the car. Smart , loving little dog. Not interested in toys – just his people. His foster mom calls him a “perfect little gentleman”. He adapts well to new situations. Would make a great companion for someone that has the time to really enjoy him. Ricky is current on his distemper and rabies vaccinations, and his heartworm test is negative. [/quote]

This is my friend who went with me when I went to pick up Pooh Bear from the foster home. And she is also the one who is going to Iowa with me in September! We went to school together from grade school through high school, so we've been friends a LONG time.

I haven't heard from her yet tonight, but I know she's been REAL busy at work this week. She said she would call me tonight.

Yeah, when you see a dog you're interested in adopting, you have to move on it or you'll lose out. I'm sure Ricky got a good home (I sure hope so).

Jackie and Maya were each at their foster homes only 2 days before I took them home. I called on them as soon as I saw their pictures. And then Pooh Bear was in their program since he was 7 weeks old! I did wait a long time on Pooh Bear, but when he showed up on their site for like the 3rd or 4th time, I decided it was fate and he was meant to be mine!