Dogomania

There going to get her killed!!!

This afternoon has been one from hell. I was outside mowing the yard.. And my grandpa comes out of the house, and as he does, Sassy shoots past him, and takes off for the woods. I was pissed!! It's like didn't you see her sitting there??? We searched to woods, and saw her heading out to the street. Her recall was gone. She took off down the middle of the street with trafic slowing down to aviod hitting her. Took me a good 2hrs to finally catch her.. I don't know weather to be mad at her for not comeing when called our being pissed at my grandpa for just standing there and watching her run down the road, not even offering to help. Gah, I was scared shitless! She stood in the bloody middle of the road watching the cars comeing on her.. I thank god everyone slowed down, and stopped, but I don't want this to happen again.. How can I get my family to buckle down on her & not treat her as a child. And how can I make sure she'll never get out again??

It is a bit pricey but I am really interested in this new radio collar. There are no buried wires and it is supposedly escape-proof as they get the correction constantly until they return in range. Plus it is portable so you can take it camping, when you move, etc. If I find the link I'll post it.

Please don't yell at Grandpa. Grandparents are incredibly precious and he obviously didn't do it on purpose. If you get too mad at a grandparent you'll regret it soon enough (speaking sadly from a bit of experience).

[quote name='StarFox']Since she didn't respond to you calling her you probabaly need to start from square one with recall training, it really is the most important thing a dog should know and it isn't to hard for dogs to learn.[/quote]

Please help, what is the best resource for recall training? Buddy needs it too because he is only at about 95% ... with a tasty distraction such as a rabbit or prairie dog field ("whack-a-mole") he will just ignore me.

Desertlady- I've always trained on a 30+ft. leash. I put my dog in a sit stay and walk all the way to the end of the leash and yell in a happy voice "Zebra come!". If he dosn't come right away I give a little pull on the leah and that will bring him running towards me, I treat and paise and do it all over again. After he has mastered the sit-stay-come I will randomly walk around with him on the long leash and yell "Zebra come!", so he dosn't think that he only has to come when put in a sit-stay. Then you can try this with out the leash at an empty dog park or something and see how he does, gradually adding more distractions to your training. This will work 99% of the time, for the other 1% that it dosn't work I yell "car ride" and that will always get him to come. :lol:

Also they have leashes in 50 and 100Ft I think so you could always try a real long leash and see how that works. Hope this helps. :D

[quote name='StarFox']Since she didn't respond to you calling her you probabaly need to start from square one with recall training, it really is the most important thing a dog should know and it isn't to hard for dogs to learn.[/quote]

Starfox, I agree with you wholeheartedly in theory, however it’s often easier said than done.

My dogs have a great recall in a controlled environment.

We put their dinner at one end of the yard and put the dog between the food and who ever it is giving it to them. They then have to do a recall and come all the way to the person before being released to go and get their dinner.

When we went away camping, we let them run around in the bush off lead and they always came back when called.

However……. When a dog escapes out a door it seems to be a whole different kettle of fish for some reason. They seem to know the difference and take advantage of their new found freedom.

Although my dogs have a pretty good recall I know that if they accidentally get out, they won’t come straight back – they’ll do so when they are good and ready. Again I know they won’t go far but I’m paranoid about them being hit by a car so I’m just extra vigilant and make sure they don’t get the chance to escape.

Sharpeigirl – extra recall training can never go astray so I would work on that. I would also work on sitting and waiting. My dogs are so used to being told to sit and wait before going through any door that they don’t seem to get the urge to bolt through as much.

I would also have a talk to your grandparents and ask them to be more careful. If they really don’t understand or don’t care then I think it’s time to move out.

She see the slightest chance of getting out she's gone! I thought I had her broke of bolting. If we wanted to go out, she would jump up on the couch as she was told. But I guess since I wasn't there to tell her "Up" she took the advantage. She's good at times & other times she's deaf as hell & she ignores me. I think it's the conflicting messages she getts here.. I tell her no, and they say, oh don't be so hard on her. Do you want to live to an old age? Or do you want her to be killed on the road!!! I kept my tounge with them tonight when I got her home.

[quote name='StarFox']Desertlady- I've always trained on a 30+ft. leash. I put my dog in a sit stay and walk all the way to the end of the leash and yell in a happy voice "Zebra come!". If he dosn't come right away I give a little pull on the leah and that will bring him running towards me, I treat and paise and do it all over again. After he has mastered the sit-stay-come I will randomly walk around with him on the long leash and yell "Zebra come!", so he dosn't think that he only has to come when put in a sit-stay. Then you can try this with out the leash at an empty dog park or something and see how he does, gradually adding more distractions to your training. This will work 99% of the time, for the other 1% that it dosn't work I yell "car ride" and that will always get him to come. :lol:

Also they have leashes in 50 and 100Ft I think so you could always try a real long leash and see how that works. Hope this helps. :D[/quote]

Thanks Starfox. I have been doing this only with a 10 foot leash so I will increase that at least 3-fold and get to work! :P

[quote name='Malamum']Starfox, I agree with you wholeheartedly in theory, however it’s often easier said than done.

My dogs have a great recall in a controlled environment.
[/quote]

I totally agree Mel, I don't think a dog will every be 100% at reacal all the time. I think all any dog owner can do it train, train, train and hope that when you call your dog they will come.

Good advice on training the dog to sit before she can go out the door, didn't think of that. :)