Dogomania

Pit Bull Q&A

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

K's post "I am a Pit Bull" brought out a lot of good statements about Pit Bulls BUT also raised a question in my wee little head.

K's post says [b]"Thanks to you, I am also a fighter. Even if I don't always start fights..I WILL finish them. I will not back down.

Thanks to your breeding, only death will stop me or severe injury. I will not let go. You have bred me that way. I do not give up. Sometimes I simply want to fight other dogs. You made this part of me.

I am not safe with other dogs. I might enjoy their company but some day I might kill them. "[/b]

Now I have always heard that at Sexual Maturity typically around age two you are able to determine if they will show dog aggression.

I've had Prissy since she was a 6 (give or take a couple) month old pup. She is now about 2 1/2 to 3 years old (I say Three...vet says 2 1/2 he splits hairs sometimes). There has only been two times in the years I have had her that she showed anything other than a wiggly giggly let's play with another dog.

Both dogs were German Shepherds (Funny because my Ariel looked like a small black GSD and they had no problems). Once was at a Petsmart, she did a lot of barking but once I gave the heel command she was fine. The other was a friends GSD and we put them is seperate rooms and they were fine.

So I know when I take her out and see a GSD we turn around and start doing obedience exercises until the dog has moved on.

I have seen here in my own home where Beaux started grabbing her by the shoulders and it earned him nothing more than a dirty look and she came running to me. Believe me they never met again after that day because I didn't want to chance a second meeting leading to more.

At almost 3 years old should I still be on hyper guard when she is out playing with the other dogs here? Her and Gretchen arrived her at the same time and they are the best of friends. She plays well with Mac and Bobbie but honestly doesn't want anything to do with the others.

I am of course ready for the day that she can't play with the others and we are always super careful in introduction of new dogs even though she really is the one who so far has not shown me any reason to be overly cautious.

So folks of greater wisdom---do I ever quit watching them play with clenched teeth waiting to grab the break stick? Is there an age at which they are determined to be non aggressive? Are they ever safe? Even at 10 years or older?

Oh please don't fret she is crated when we can't give 100% to a mixed group of dog and does get plenty of play time with dad (she would rather have him over me any day) usually while I'm working another dog outside. I also tell those who see me walking her with Gretchen or Mac that I have a highly unusual girl and that if they are interested in a Pit they need to be ready to have their dogs kept apart 24/7 or have it as an only dog.

2-4 years is the normal age for dogs to "turn on'. Although I'm sure it can spring up at any time from puppyhood to 10 years. All it takes is the right dog to trigger those instincts. Of course many pits never turn on. If she hasn't shown any sign of dog aggression by now, chances are she won't but of course (not that I think you will) never ever leave her unsupervised.

Guest Anonymous

That's what I was wondering. I have two breaksticks. One outside that is in my hand when we are out there and one inside kept at my desk. I'm paranoid. Love my girl but majorly PARANOID.

I'd always wondered about the age thing. Some people act as if two is the cut off and if they aren't reactive by then they never will be. I didn't think that was to honest.

I dont think there's a cutoff, because no one really knows what triggers a Pit to play wholeheartedly with some dogs and turn on others. thats a study I think should be well invested in. why some dogs and not others? why suddenly a dog they've played with their whole life, with never an incident before?

there must be a trigger, something that starts the "turn"...but no one is really sure what it is. Just continue to be careful...

Just so everyone is aware, this is not only a pitbull/bully breed issue. Sasha was eight months when she "turned on". She decided that she hated our female Pom and attacked her over a food/space issue. Dog-dog aggression is very common in a large, guardian type breed (Pyr, Kuvasz, Mastiff, Dane), and these dogs were not originally bred to fight, but their power, jaw strength and territorial instincts rival that of any of the bully breeds. Because of Sasha's size and power I keep her away from all female dogs at all times, including our pom.
I guess it's just a cautionary tale ie, know what you are getting into! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Alan!

Signs are, a stiff body, with what I refer to as "The Deat Stare". It's just that emotionless look that is totaly focused on a target. Another thing is the tail. If it stands straight up and rapidly rocks back and forth in short strokes, watch out! In these types of scenerious, refocus the dog on you asap and seperate it from it's target. Also, they are in tune to our emotions. An owner can spark his dog to fight by being nervous that the dog will fight. They pick up on this nervousness and may see the other dog as a threat because of your nervousness.

I will have to say I have NEVER seen Prissy do that. I now have an idea of what to look for!

Pyrless..you are right! I foster Anatolians and honestly I hear that at times just due to their huge size they are harder to break up than Pit Bulls.

I'm lucky enough that up until now I have never fostered a female ASD and the girl I have now is not female aggressive. In fact her favorite buddy is my Beagle Girl Belle.

Guest Anonymous

You always have to keep your eye on them, which is one reason they arent meant for everyone.
They were and some still are, after all, meant for fighting, not pointing (as one seems to think :roll: sorry, had to throw it in...).

Guest Anonymous

I think the bitches are always meaner towards other animals. I find it a lot harder to find a bitch that will put up with a male other than a male that will put up with a bitch.

Prior to Taurus being neutered, he got along with ALL dogs. He never had a problem with any other dog, and in fact if another dog didnt like him, he would just walk away. My parents dog growled and snapped at him and he just ran away like...hmmm..dont want to play..your loss!

Then, he was neutered later on in life, 4 1/2 yrs old and after that time he couldn't be with other dogs anymore. There are 4 dogs he still plays with, but thats it. He will not accept any other dogs.

I thought we'd gotten off lucky...at 4 yrs old I was pretty sure he wouldn't "tunr on"... no such luck.

[quote]So folks of greater wisdom---do I ever quit watching them play with clenched teeth waiting to grab the break stick? Is there an age at which they are determined to be non aggressive? Are they ever safe? Even at 10 years or older?
[/quote]

I haven't read this whole thread so but the answers to the above are No, No, No, Yes.

They may NEVER show aggression to another dog but there si ALWAYS the possibility. Many times there are signs but that isn't always the case. When Munkee went after Justice he was a little over 3. He had never shown any aggression, a little "antsyness" around other dogs but no aggression. he walked in, sniffed her & chomp.....she was in his mouth. Just that fast. from that day on he has hated ALL other dogs except little Ollie.

Ruby died at 12 & never even gave the stink eye to another dog.

Booger was stolen at 8 & wasn't fond of yappy dogs but not aggressive with them either. He would snap towards them as to say "shut up" but that was it.

Debby