Dogomania

My Mother-The Moron

Takona and Max go across the street all the time. Done it for years, theyre fine. I personaly have seen them over there on several occasions, but it wasn't that big of a problem up until a little while ago. Alaska is growing, my area especially. More homes are being built all over, which means more cars. The problem there is kind of self explanatory.

So today I head out to the road, and sure enough, there they are. Max came running the second he heard footsteps, he always knows when hes in trouble. Well I get out to the road, and theres Takona. So I tell her to stay, wait for the cars to pass, as usual. But no, this time she doesn't listen. She comes walking (very, very slowly, too might I add :roll:) over to me, while theres a car coming. Of course all I'm thinking now is Ohhh shit. So while shes taking her sweet time, the car comes right up to her, maybe a couple feet away. Luckily they slowed down, and gave her time to cross, but not everyone is that way.

When she finally came up to me, I did something I probably shouldn't have...I hit her butt real hard. I was just so scared...I didn't know if I should punish her or not...But I did, its over with now.

OK, heres the part that just ticks me off... My mom comes driving out to go to the store and I tell her what happened. That Takona came close to getting hit and all that. She just kind of goes, "Uhuh", and that makes me mad enough right there. I go, "She could have been killed, mom". And heres the great part, my moms reply is, "Well if she gets killed, she gets killed". I just couldn't believe it, coming out of the mouth of the person who claims her "baby" means so much to her, that she wouldn't trade her for a million dollars. Yet she has the nerve to say such a thing?!?!?!! :evil:

I mentioned chaining to her again, but as always she gives the famous, "she'd hate it" line.

I'm just so pissed right now. My mom bugs me every single day about chaining Conner, she says that its mean because "he doesn't like to poop in the yard". Tuff if he doesn't like it. If thats the only way I can prevent him from getting run-over, I'm doing it.

Does anyone have any sort of advice what-so-ever on how I can get my mom to become a more responsible dog owner? A site, a book, a show, anything? I just get so frustrated, she never listens to me... :x

tough one and i sympathize. i don't really have any advice regarding how to make your mom a better dog parent. keep talking to her and maybe if she sees how passionate you are she will consider things you say.

yes the dog may "hate" being tied up but don't you think the dog would "hate" it more if she were injured by a car?

as for punishing her when she came to you -- i will offer you an alternative. if you hit your dog when she comes to you she will associate coming to you with getting hit. so next time she may not come at all. anytime she comes when called there should be lots of praise -- coming when called is always a good thing. she did not associate the punishment with being in the road or out of her yard.

next time (hopefully there isn't one but in case) -- get used to carrying treats in your pockets and a leash. if you have her stay on the other side of the road -- check traffic and cross the road and leash her. then the 2 of you can safely cross the road when there are no cars.

just suggestions i hope they help :)

First off, NEVER hit a dog after it has just come to you. In the dog's mind, it has just been punished for coming to you, not for being in the street.

Chaining is not a good way to contain a dog, it is dangerous for both the dog and the people around it. Letting the dog run lose is also a very bad idea, as you obviously have discovered :wink: What kind of dogs are they? If no one in your family wants to build a fence, you could try an electric fence. They are not that expensive and could keep your dog in the yard if it's not one of the more stubborn breeds. Although many people may disagree with an electric fence, they are more humane than chaining or letting the dog run lose. There are also training techniques out there that could help, although I am not an expert in that area. Just know that regardless of how much training you do, if you let the dogs outside unattended without any sort of containment, there will always be a risk of them running off.

My neighbors used to let their puppy run lose by a road (they euthanized the pup a few months later) but when my mom voiced her concerns to them about it, they said basically the same thing your mom did: "Well, what happens, happens."
This coming from self professed animal lovers :roll:

~Seij

Yes, electric fences are the ones that shock them (usually though, it only takes one or two hits before a dog stays away from the perimeter for good). The fence is underground.

Some dogs it works for, others not. A husky mix probably would not be a good candidate since huskies are very stubborn and can ignore the shock if they want through bad enough. I am not sure, but I also think chows might be a breed that fits into that catagory too.
I think it is up to you though, to determine if your dogs would do well under the superviion of the electric fence. If the dog's responds well and faithfully to commands, and will quickly opt to avoid anything that causes pain, then yes, this fence might work well for them. On the other hand, if these dogs are very independant, frequently dissobey commands, and will suffer a bit of pain in order to get something they want, then this fence would probably NOT work well for them.

Also, just to add, if the one with the husky in the mix acts a LOT like the typical husky, then solid, physical containment, such as a tall, secure fence or a kennel, are probably going to be the only effective and suitable containment options you have. Huskies love to roam and the only way to stop them it to have them physically contained (in general of course--there are always exceptions).

~Seij

Yes, Takona does act a lot like a pure husky. She loves to run, and is definetly stubborn. Has the coat, as well.

I see no chances of my mom getting a fence built anytime soon, sadly. Its thousands of dollars, (correct me if I'm wrong, and they are much cheaper), and we are just plain broke right now. She bought a brand new table, and a couch and chairs, which I'm sure added up to thousands, instead of getting a fence built first, though. And she says the "money situation" is the only reason she didn't build one. :roll:

Thanks for all the advice, though, Seijun. Next time we have enough money, (hopefully we will, someday) I'll tell her about getting a fence. Then she'll have no way out... :evilbat:

[quote name='Seijun']Chaining is not a good way to contain a dog, it is dangerous for both the dog and the people around it.[/quote]

I think everyone has given good advance, including Seijun, but I have a question not to bug or change the topic.....but I understand how chaing can be dangerous (if you don't have the proper chain set up) but how are my dogs dangerous to me (or anyone else) if they are on a chain or not? I've also thought my dogs safe because they were tied and couldn't start trouble so I believed they were safe from harm and them from harming other peoples dogs or wild animals.

Yes, that is what I meant, K. A dog, even if not chained for life, can become more territorial in the area where it is chained if it is left chained there frequently. This can be a dangerous situation for a child or other animal that happens to wander into the area.

~Seij