Dogomania

There's something wrong with Jackie!

This morning, Jackie has been whimpering occasionally. I palpated her entire body, and she isn't tender anywhere. Her nose is moist and her gums are pink. She's kind of moving in slow motion today, although she did eat her lunch. Jackie IS a pain woosie, so maybe she just slept wrong or something. I'm going to keep an eye on her this afternoon and if it continues, I'll take her to the vet. But what sucks is that I have NO idea what it is that's bothering her! I just wish she would tell me! Hopefully it's nothing.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='Kerislc']Poor Jackie.

[quote]
Take a urine sample to the vet! Hope she feels better soon!
[/quote]

Just curious. How would you go about doing this :-?[/quote]

[color=indigo]How do you get one from yourself?? When she urinates, you stick a cup underneath her to catch the unrine.[/color] :wink:[/quote]

When they have to collect urine samples from horses, they have a cup on the end of a long pole, and as soon as the horse starts to pee, you stick the cup underneath. But some horses stop peeing immediately as soon as they hear the pee hit the cup! One of mine did.

She peed and pooped like normal and even ran out to the trees once with the other kids. But she's still doing the occasional whimper (which she never does).

I just got back from riding Jerry, and poor Jackie was whimpering when I came in the door. I went in the back yard with the kids, and Jackie peed (but I wasn't quick enough to get over there to get a urine sample), and then she laid down back by the trees. I could hear her whimper a few times. Then I went over there and was petting her, and her tail was wagging but she wouldn't move. I was afraid maybe she was paralyzed or something. But I finally coaxed her up and she trotted over to Maya and Pooh Bear, and then a few more whimpers.

When we came downstairs, she would whimper and look back toward her tail. So I do think it's something in the buttal-peepee area (do you like my scientific terms?). If she's not better by tomorrow morning, I'll take her in to my vet.

[quote name='StarGaze']Aww, hope she's ok. She isn't straining to poo is she?[/quote]

No, she looked normal when she pooped, and it was normal poop. And she didn't whimper when she peed or pooped, so it must not hurt to do that. But there has to be something not right back there.

Good news on Jackie! I took her in to the vet this morning, and it looks like she just needed her anal glands expressed! They were all full. Maya takes care of her own anal glands but obviously Jackie doesn't (it's not something a pricess would do). Everything else was normal on Jackie. And more good news is she lost 4 pounds since her last visit to the vet (which is a good thing). She was 90 pounds and now she's 86 pounds. I would like to see her get to 80 pounds. We've all been dieting and exercising, so we're all going to get in shape! I filled up the pools for the kids when we got home, and Jackie was the only one who went in, and she was playing afterward, so she's definitely back to normal!

After the vet, Jackie and I went to Petsmart, which Jackie LOVES to do. And she hasn't whimpered once since we left the vet! YIPPEE!

I can always tell when Maya has taken care of hers because of the distinct aroma. But getting all of them done at once in a small examining room -- Wowzer! What a smell! The vet sprayed some doggie deodorant on her butt and then she was fresh as a daisy.

As far as my dogs go, Maya takes care of hers, Jackie doesn't, and I don't know yet about Pooh Bear. I'll have to keep an eye on him and see if he takes care of it himself. I think the majority of dogs do it themselves either by licking, pooping or dragging their butt. UNLESS they're a princess. Princesses don't do that sort of thing!

aha the lovely topic of anal glands. Alright heres the deal. Wild dogs use these glands to help lubricate and pass a large bowel movement. They would be eating large prey items like rabbits and therefore need the glands. Our dogs are fed commercial diets and their bowel movements are usually not as firm or as large as wild dogs, therefore they don't use the glands and they fill up.

Some dogs do naturally express them when passing a motion and others don't. Toy breeds are the worst for it!

The easiest way to do it is get 1 person to hold the dogs head, while the other person lifts the tail enough to expose the glands and then using your finger and thumb at 10 and 2 o'clock position you milk the glands as if milking a cow. It isn't the easiest thing to do just like milking but when I worked at the practice I was always getting called to do anal glands because unfortunately I'm rather good at the technique :lol: