Dogomania

Does your dog like to be cuddled

Malamum

There is a section in a book I was reading (the other end of the leash) about hugging or cuddling being a human thing and dogs not really liking it.

This is pretty much true for Indy. He loves to be patted but is not that fussed about being enclosed in a hug or having you put your arms around him.

Kira is a totally different story and goes against everything that was said in the book. She just loves to be cuddled. If you put your arm around her she actually nuzzles into your body and tries to get closer and closer. She leans into you so much that if you move away suddenly she falls over :roll:

So which category does your dog fall into?

Blitz is a sook but likes being a sook on his terms. For example, he's lying on his bed and he'll thump his tail like mad to get you to come over to him, but he doesn't deign to get up and actually have to come to you. If you give him a hug he'll nuzzle into the crook of your arm. He likes to sit in people's laps and being so leggy and not lap-sized, he looks so silly and uncomfortable doing it, but he still does it. He likes having some part of his body touching yours, eg if we're sitting on the couch he'll have a paw on my lap, or even outside he'll put a paw on my foot to stop me from running off without him. He absolutely loves having his ears rubbed and starts groaning with pleasure to the point of embarrassment.

Guest Anonymous

Bentley really loves to have his chest rubbed. When he wants to be petted he will lay his head in your lap and push on you. Doesn't really care to have arms wrapped around him though. He loves to lay his head in your lap though. That's the only part that will fit! :lol:

Roxie and Luke on the other hand love to be cuddled. Put your arms around Roxie's neck and she lays her head on your shoulder and nuzzles up closer. Luke just wants to be close all the time, to either human or other dog. He has to laying against someone to lay down at all. :D

Jackie loves to give kisses and loves to be petted, and likes to sit or lie down next to me, but she's not real comfortable getting hugs. She doesn't hug back.

Maya, on the other hand, is a VERY touchy-feely kind of gal. If you sit down next to her, she'll be in your lap. If she sees you sitting down, she'll get over there as fast as she can to get in your lap. If you hug her, she leans into you. She's a real leaner. And if you stop petting her, she'll put paw on your arm.

Pooh Bear is a real cuddler too. He likes to sleep with me, and he snuggles right up into me. He likes to put his head on me. He likes kisses and hugs, and he's a leaner too, but not as much of a leaner as Maya is.

Toby is not a cuddler. He will take a nice belly rub or a quick pat on the head, but no hugging.

McKenzie was my love bug. When I was down, she would lay her head on my shoulder and let me wrap my arms around her neck and cry. Which I did often because I had a miscarriage a few months before we got her. Then when she had her puppies she paid me back. She laid in my lap and whined. I held her and hugged and kissed her on the head. She was my love bug, but not that way with anyone else.

Kira- Not a chance. She will let me and Christine cuddle with her, but only for a short time. I think she gets really hot easily with that undercoat and doesnt like to be smothered. She def. will not cuddle with strangers.
Dex is a total love bug. He LOVES cuddling with people, pillows, and Kira. People especially, cause they are warm.

If K knows you don't like her, she will cuddle with you. Honestly, I think she does it to Kevin's mother just to aggravate her. :lol:

She also likes to cuddle with people who do like her. LOL She would cuddle with anyone, anywhere, anyhow. But it seems that Steph and I are her favorites to share the couch with.

Rory, on the other hand, is not very affection. She gives lots of kisses but the moment you get too close, she wants you away from her. This is what gives me the sneaking suspicion that she was abused by those jerks.

Jerry loves hugs, head and ear rubs, belly rubs, pats, and any other attention. He enjoys flopping down on the "couch" or bed with us and rolling his head around to look at us with the soppiest expression I've ever seen. :roll:

Ben is a little more dignified. No hugs allowed, but everything else is okay. He also loves a good ear rub. The grunts, wheezes, and rumbles that he produces are unbelievable... :lol:

Both our boys are "leaners"... :roll:

I'm not sure if cuddling comes naturally to dogs.

Cosmic LOVES being cuddle and carried like a baby. He'll close his eyes, breathe deep and wriggle until we reach the [i]perfect[/i] spot where he wants to be stroked. :lol: But we had to get him used to cuddling as a puppy. Could be because he didn't trust us at first. :-?

Twyce, my foster girl, FROZE the first time bf carried her. She looked completely petrified. :( But then again, she had a tough life and a possibly abusive past. The day she started to relax in our arms was such a breakthrough for us! :D Happily, she now seems to enjoy being cuddled. 8)

Floppy (bf's family dog) doesn't like being picked up, but will do anything for strokes, pats and rubs.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='Jessashelony'][quote name='DivineOblivion19'][color=indigo]Jessa sandwich!!!!![/color] :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

You would expect it to be a lot more fun. :evilbat:[/quote]

[color=indigo]LOL Yeah I do have something better in mind.... but it's a different situation... no dogs![/color] :lol:[/quote]

It doesn't look like there's too much more room on that couch! Too bad you have those mean old pit bulls that don't like people! :roflt:

Smokie loves it when i kiss him and hugg him. When I say give me a hug he puts his head down in my chest are arm.. He loves it from me, and my family, but if somebody else tried to kiss him and love up with him, he'd probably be like wtf are you doing, and get away from me lol

Mandy like to cuddle, Shadow can do without it he will tolerate you giving him a big hug but then he wants to go lie down in peace. But the biggest softie was my cairn terrier Toto. My god all he wanted to do was cuddle. At night he was right up next to my body and all day long he would sit right there in between his patrols of the house. He would even cry to have me hold and rock him. Boy was he spoiled.