Dogomania

Do your dogs like the rain?

My girls are so goofy. Sometimes they'll stay out in the rain for an hour before they decide to come in. Same thing with the snow. They have such thick coats that it probably takes that long for the rain to hit their skin.

Pooh Bear, on the other hand, goes out to do his thing (poop or bark at squirrels), and then he wants to come right back in.

They all LOVE being toweled off.

It's been raining all day, so it smells like wet dogs downstairs now.

Kavik doesn't seem to notice.

Zaphod hates the rain. I will remind you all that he has a nice lab-like outercoat AND a soft downy undercoat - ah the joys of mixed breeds. He will insist on peeing right outside the door so he doesn't leave the overhang and stays dry. Of course he also hates to get his feet wet and since he has just peed right outside the door he whines and fusses trying to come in, usually making this big hop over the wet spot and in throught the door.

Oh a few nights ago I decided I had a munchie attack and walked Kes down to the garage. We left the house and it was perfectly clear and dry and half way down the heavens opened and we both got drenched. Wee Kes kept on looking up at me wagging her tail and taking the rain like a wee trooper :roll: Talk about those eyes to make me feel like a horrible mean Mum! :o

Jada loves being outside in ALL weather...snow storms, rain, doesnt matter.
Taurus on the other hand... well he will ask to go out, and if I open the door to let him out, he'll take a few steps closer to the door, look out and see its raining/snowing, and turn right back around.

This is a normal occurance at our house...especially in the winter:

Jada trying to coax Taurus outside:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/kararij/prettyplease.jpg[/img]

And Taurus after 2 mins of being outside:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/kararij/letmeindamit.jpg[/img]

Sydney goes nuts in the rain! The other week, when we had downpours non-stop, I took her out on leash to go for a quick walk, and she was jumpking and hoping to run, so I took her to the tennis courts to let her run off leash, and she bolted around the courts! :lol: I couldn't catch her! I spent 10 minutes in the pouring rain chasing her, sure it was fun for her, but not me! :lol:

I think a lot of it depends on the humans reactions..we have severe thunderstorms here every summer. I am used to them, we had one today. (severe to the point of hail, possible tornado's, etc)

I put my car in the garage. that was my only response.
they do not frighten me, so possibly thats why they dont frighten my dogs...I have a basement, and tornado evacution supplies down there.
so for me, if it gets bad. take the cell and go to the basement. stay calm. and staying calm is a big part of the issue IMO. they can feel these things..

neither of mine have taken to water. rain is one quick way to have them 'get busy' and come straight back inside. if it is raining really hard aspen will give you that hang dog face. we also have a pool and they won't go near it when it is open. german engineering for ya :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Bentley and Roxie don't mind going out in the rain. I think it may be because they don't really feel it. But Luke can't stand it. I practically have to drag him out into the yard when it's raining. He does his business and he's back at the door waiting for the two slowpokes. :lol:

China hates rain, if there's water falling out of the sky she goes out, pees, and comes right back in. If she has to take a dump, she'll just hold it and hope it's not raining later.

This is really stupid because she got the super dense Husky coat, and on top of that her fur is naturally rather greasy (takes forever and a day to give her a bath). So she's water proof, and hates the rain. :roll:

Ben is indifferent to the weather - he will go out in anything except a true downpour.

Jerry peers out the door. If there is a snowflake or raindrop falling from the sky he is very reluctant to go outside. :roll: I'm quite sure he must have been an "outside only" dog before we adopted him judging from the filthy condition he was in when we brought him home. I think he really enjoys his "inside life" and thinks, "I've had enough of this bad weather stuff. Not going outside in it. No thank you. Nuh-huh!"

He also has a cast-iron bladder and is willing to hold it far longer than Ben can. :-? It can't be good for him.

Well, I don't think Pooh Bear is going to be much of a water dog! I put up two pools for the kids today because the temp was about 75 degrees. Jackie and Maya were splashing around like crazy. Pooh Bear wouldn't go in. I picked him up and set him in the smaller one (the water is probably up to his knees in that one) and he just jumped out.

I had a big Jolly Ball with no handle on it (guess who chewed it off?) in the bigger pool (about the same depth as the little pool), and he kept trying to get it from outside of the pool, putting his foot out and trying to catch it like a cat will reach out to try to get a ball. He would just touch his foot to the water and take it back out again. LOL

So I don't know if I'll be doing swimming therapy with him or not! It rained yesterday, and I'm hearing thunder now, so I won't be going to the lake today. But one of these days I'll take Pooh Bear down to the lake and walk in with him and see if he'll go in willingly. If not, I guess hydrotherapy is out for the little guy!

Cosmic doesn't seem to mind either way. But he seems to get extra excited once we're home - OUT of the rain. :roll: That bad boy loves to rub himself all along the sides of our couch & bed. :evil: And then he'll run around with a toy in his mouth, bark the house down and make us chase him with his towel. :roll: :lol:

Zebra hates any form of water. Hates baths, the beach, rain, puddles. He won't go out when it rains and dog forbid there is a puddle on the gound and he has to walk over it, he will attempt to jump over it and if he can't then he "tippy toes" through it like a prissy little girl. :roll:

Jackie..hit 3 times and still around to talk about it? Are you sure your not a cat!! Wow, amazing and so scary. Did you feel your hair stand on end like they say happens before your are struck? My yellow lab hates the rain thunder and lightning, will have no part of it, the chocolate lab loves the rain and is not bothered in the least by thunder or lightning.

Sass and Maisy are both under 20lb. and they love the rain and snow...
Gretchen (Lab/Rott) loves the rain/snow too....
I on the other hand do not like to stand out in the rain for long and try and hurry them up !!! :oops:
Everyone gets toweled down on the back porch before they're allowed back into the house !!!
Gretchen loves the towel down !!! :wink:

...stella hates it...if i take her out in the rain, she will shot me looks to kill...she seriously wont go out unless its sunny and happy out...shes a party pooper =(...astro loves everything, any kind of weather he is up for...he's been out in almost blizzards with me before...the big goof...