Dogomania

Posturing or trying to Bite?

DogPaddle

We had company last night. Company had liquor. This one guy was "dancing" which seemed to involve hopping and flailing to the beat. Kavik went nuts. He charged barking and lunged, nipped bounced back and relunged an nipped and again before I grabbed him. Everytime he went for the poor guys crotch too. No injury was done, whether because the guy dodged well or because Kavik was doing some very convincing posturing I don't know.

I suppose he could have mistaken the guys actions as aggressive - he was doing something that looked sort of kicky, however, he wasn't near anyone.

My concern is that it looked very convincing and he might actually have been trying to bite the guy. Kavik has in the past thrown little hissy fits - once at a moose, once at an aggressive dog approaching him, once at a building that a demo company brought down with charges - 2 blocks from where we were walking. Generally he barks and bounes forward a bit but is moving backward for the most part - away from the threat. That was not the case this time.

So any idea on if he was posturing or serious or how to find out or what to do. It might be tricky to get people to "dance" around my living room like idiots to desensitize him but I could give it a go.

Geez, it sounds like the guy had "white man's disease" - can't dance. I dated a guy once who looked like he was having seizures on the dance floor. LOL

But back to the topic at hand, it actually might not be a bad idea to have someone dance like a white man in front of Kavic and see if he does it again, or if it was a one-time behavior. And watch Kavic from right before the guy starts dancing and see if you notice his behavior changing (Kavic, not the bad dancer).

Good luck.

if he was 'spaz-dancing' his movements may have seemed threatening.
does he normally react normally around this person? its never a good idea to go spazzy around a dog, they dont understand the affects of alcohol, and it puts the dogs more on their guard when someone who usually doesnt act that way suddenly starts to....

Indy gets over excited when dancing is involved. He's really not sure what is going on and jumps around woo wooing.

If I'm having a bit of a dance in the living room on my own ( :oops: :oops: yeah come on admit it - we all do that sometimes) then I think it's funny and woo woo back at him.

However if we are having a party and there is lots of dancing and singing happening I keep Indy away from the action as I know he gets over excited.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='DogPaddle']"dancing" which seemed to involve hopping and flailing to the beat. [/quote]

Sorry, I have nothing to add that no one else hasn't already said, but this made me laugh out loud. Flailing to the beat... *snicker*[/quote]

I did. I called it "white man's disease"! LOL :B-fly:

:lol:
We all thought he was quite amusing until Kavik had his little spaz.

Normally he has no problem with this guy. I guess if he is coming over and is going to be drinking I'll just put Kavik in the kitchen or in my room.

I have experimented with moving eratically myself and he barks and bounces but nothing else - of course he is my dog and I can't possibly hope to move as goofily as drunk guy could. Still I will persist a bit and see if I can't get him used to people moving oddly. After all who knows what might happen in my house - we get lots of guests and sometimes our guests bring guests. :roll: It's concievable that someone with a walker or cerebral palsy or something might come through the house.

Alan may be dead-on about the alcohol. the test would be to hold Kavik and have that same guy try to recreate his actions while he was not drinking, and see what Kavik does. They can smell alcoholmuch sronger than we can, obviously, and the smell added to the strange-seeming actions may have been what set him off.

8)

Kavik is generally very quiet when he goes into herding mode. He was barking a lot when the guy was dancing so I don't think it was herding - good thought though.

I will see if drunk guy/dancing guy or someone else will help me out and we will try the undrunk experiment and let you know.