Dogomania

I'm thinking of putting up a privacy fence!

I'm seriously considering tearing down my chain link fence (which is only 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall) and putting up a 6 foot wood privacy fence. Then all the dogs could be loose in the yard, and they wouldn't be able to see the critters and people in the other yards, and that would take care of 90% of the barking!

I got the idea from the ad for Home Depot. They have a good deal on 6' by 8' wood fence panels. They also do the installation. I'm going to get some estimates from some other companies too. Last year I got a $3,800 estimate from one fencing company to raise my existing chain link fence to 6 feet! I think I can get a wood privacy fence put up for about half that price.

I was just thinking... (scary, I know)... the people three houses down from me put up a 6 foot wood privacy fence last year when they moved in. It looks real nice. I think I might bop over there and see who did it for them.

Then I'll have a wood privacy fence and a wood deck! Kewl! :ylsuper: I could be naked out in the yard! :B-fly:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][color=indigo]Jeez... I don't have a fence in the yard and I walk around naked! :o Is this a problem??? It can't be too bad, our neighbor is some kind of preacher (not sure of his actual title...) and the church is next door, nobody has complained yet!

J![/color][/quote]

LMAO

You will love privacy fencing. It turns your yard into your own little retreat. :D When I lived in town I had a six foot wood fence and I loved it! We had a very snoopy back yard neighbor and it was such a relief to know he wouldn't come out and pull weeds in his garden everytime we wanted to sit out on our porch or work on the flower beds that lined the perimeter of the yard.

Out here in the sticks we can't see our neighbors. Yay! We just have a chain link fence to contain the boys so they can hang out on the deck and wander about freely in their area of the yard when the weather is nice. But if I lived in town with neighbors, I'd have a wood fence!

Good luck on getting a good deal. :D

holey moley $3800 that's a steal. how much yard are you fencing? we fenced our back yard (about 2/3 acre -- i don't remember linear feet) but it cost us about 4X that amount. only the portion directly next to our redneck neighbors is privacy. sheesh i would hate to have seen the price for the whole thing privacy!!!!

don't know if i posted these but here are a couple pics ....

this is our double gate

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/rotten_two/doublegate.jpg[/img]

and this is the privacy portion
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/rotten_two/privacy.jpg[/img]

i am sure the dogs would love a new fence! remember tho they can still hear so it won't cut all the barking!

DO -- what did i tell you bout trying to scare the preacher? you have to go up and ring the bell then streak!

I love having a totally private back yard. I would never own a house without at least a six foot wood fence. Any money you spend will be well worth it. I do have to remind my husband that even though the neighbors can't see you, they can still hear you. Sounds like DO needs to invent a true "privacy" fence :lol: .

[quote name='pwrpufgirlz'][quote name='JackieMaya']I've seen ads for vinyl privacy fences too. Do any of you know anyone with a vinyl privacy fence? They're a WHOLE lot more expensive, but they would probably last forever.[/quote]

Obedience girl has a vinyl fence, I remember her mentioning that one time.[/quote]

Good memory!!

I love my vinyl fence. But it is not a privacy fence. We put up a four rail split. But we knew we wanted vinyl anyway. Yes, it is more expensive, but you do not have to stain it yearly or keep up maintence on it at all. In Ohio, it gets so wet and humid that wood just warps to all heck here. So we knew wood was out of the question.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='rotten_two']DO -- what did i tell you bout trying to scare the preacher? you have to go up and ring the bell then streak![/quote]

:lol:

[color=indigo]I guess streaking isn't that bad. ONe time I was in my room having *ahem* sexual relations and my bedroom window was open. I had an intense orgasm and was screaming louder than ever. Oh, did I mention it was on a Sunday morning right as church was getting out??? I'm sure they all liked that![/color] :lol:[/quote]

*screaming in laughter*

and wishing I could do that..no significant other..bummer...

8)

[quote name='courtnek'][quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='rotten_two']DO -- what did i tell you bout trying to scare the preacher? you have to go up and ring the bell then streak![/quote]

:lol:

[color=indigo]I guess streaking isn't that bad. ONe time I was in my room having *ahem* sexual relations and my bedroom window was open. I had an intense orgasm and was screaming louder than ever. Oh, did I mention it was on a Sunday morning right as church was getting out??? I'm sure they all liked that![/color] :lol:[/quote]

*screaming in laughter*

and wishing I could do that..no significant other..bummer...

8)[/quote]

Who says there was a significant other? :banan:

[quote name='bk_blue']Privacy fences, as you call them, are the norm here. And they are all at least 6ft tall, too. I'd find it really strange to have a see-through fence, a short fence, or no fence at all, in the backyard! :)[/quote]
In my area too. I can't imagine walking out in your backyard and the neighbors are sitting there staring at you. :lol: Especially my neighbors with the pool. There is no way I want to see that guy in a bathing suit. :o

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl'][quote name='pwrpufgirlz'][quote name='JackieMaya']I've seen ads for vinyl privacy fences too. Do any of you know anyone with a vinyl privacy fence? They're a WHOLE lot more expensive, but they would probably last forever.[/quote]

Obedience girl has a vinyl fence, I remember her mentioning that one time.[/quote]

Good memory!!

I love my vinyl fence. But it is not a privacy fence. We put up a four rail split. But we knew we wanted vinyl anyway. Yes, it is more expensive, but you do not have to stain it yearly or keep up maintence on it at all. In Ohio, it gets so wet and humid that wood just warps to all heck here. So we knew wood was out of the question.[/quote]
You can stain it and everything. That sounds great. Do you have a picture of the fence?

[quote name='Cairn6'][quote name='bk_blue']Privacy fences, as you call them, are the norm here. And they are all at least 6ft tall, too. I'd find it really strange to have a see-through fence, a short fence, or no fence at all, in the backyard! :)[/quote]
In my area too. I can't imagine walking out in your backyard and the neighbors are sitting there staring at you. :lol: Especially my neighbors with the pool. There is no way I want to see that guy in a bathing suit. :o[/quote]

around here it's the law that if you have a pool you must have a privacy fence...but other than that a chain link fence is pretty much the norm here..of course there are a few people who have privacy fences..

We have a four foot livestock fence. Any of my smaller dogs could walk right through it if they wanted to. Fortunately, the electric wire just inside the perimeter keeps them from wanting to.

I wish so much that we had a privacy fence for several reasons. For one thing, the neighborhood kids love to taunt my dogs through the fence, causing them to bark. Another thing is that I have a swimming pool and the neighborhood kids like lining up at the fence and just gawking over when I'm trying to swim :o . Shoo! Go away!

We considered installing a privacy fence, but since we are planning to eventually move, couldn't justify the expense. Hopefully, before too long, we'll be out of here and on some acreage where there will be no close neighbors and we won't need privacy fencing.

My best friend has privacy fencing and the neighborhood kids still beat on her fence and holler over and taunt her dogs. :-?

Luckily I live in a very nice neighborhood, with no bratty kids, and all the neighbors are great (well, ALMOST all). I would definitely get the thicker boards on a privacy fence. And two sides of my back yard are all wooded, so it's fairly private already. I've been driving around my neighborhood looking at some of the privacy fences and getting an idea of what I want and don't want. The more I think about the idea of a privacy fence, the more I like it!

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Cairn6'][quote name='bk_blue']Privacy fences, as you call them, are the norm here. And they are all at least 6ft tall, too. I'd find it really strange to have a see-through fence, a short fence, or no fence at all, in the backyard! :)[/quote]
In my area too. I can't imagine walking out in your backyard and the neighbors are sitting there staring at you. :lol: Especially my neighbors with the pool. There is no way I want to see that guy in a bathing suit. :o[/quote]

around here it's the law that if you have a pool you must have a privacy fence...[/quote]

It's the law here that even if you have a "privacy fence" (as everyone does anyway), if you have a pool in your backyard, you must have an additional safety fence around it.

But anyway back on topic- I'm with JM- who needs men when you have... :oops: :wink: