Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

What dog magazines or books do you recommend?

Do you subscribe to any dog magazines? If so, which ones and what do you like and dislike about them? What dog books would you recommend?

i dont subsribe to any..

i would recommend the magazine Bully breeds to any NEW bully owner or anyone who is thinking of getting one..though i dont recommend it to anyone who is knowledgable about the breed..it'd be a waste of your $10 :lol: ...if you know about bully breeds then this magazine will just tell you everything you already know..

for a book..i recommend [u]The Man Who Talks To Dogs[/u] "the story of randy grim and his fight to save america's abandoned dogs" REALLY great book, it also has alot of information about overpopulation and stuff like that..

Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash
The Dog who Would be King by John Wright and Judith Lashnits
I havent read these in quite some time, but they were good reading.
I dont subscribe to any dog mags, but there is a great Akita one out there called Akita World.

The Other End of the Leash, definitely. I subscribe to Dog Fancy as well and I like it, I find it very informative on health stuff and they profile a lot of breeds that are lesser-known, not just the AKC ones,

I often buy Dogs In Canada Annual magazine. It is good enough for me. :D It has all the breeds, great pictures, some great tips, etc. A fun read. ML gives it two thumbs up! :lol:

How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coran. I love that book, reccomended reading for everyone who wants a glimpse into dog behavior.

Oh how could I forget...
Puppies for Dumbies
Rottweilers for Dumbies
All about Rottweilers

And about 3-5 training books that I can't remember because I'm at work and their at home.

[quote name='xavierandrea']Oh how could I forget...
Puppies for Dumbies
Rottweilers for Dumbies
All about Rottweilers

And about 3-5 training books that I can't remember because I'm at work and their at home.[/quote]

that's a lot of dummy books! LOL
:stupid:

[quote name='xavierandrea']Oh how could I forget...
Puppies for Dumbies
Rottweilers for Dumbies
All about Rottweilers

And about 3-5 training books that I can't remember because I'm at work and their at home.[/quote]

I have Pit Bulls for Dummies, its good too.

I would, and have, recommended John Fishers "Why Does My Dog...."

he was a behaviorist in England, and one of the first to espouse that hurting dogs while training is the bad thing to do...

he explains dog behavior according to pack rules, which I strongly believe in. these are rules they know by instinct, no teaching is required.
he explains how to modify them to work with dogs, who are no longer wolves and see things differently....

and the book is funny. he does personal shots of cases he has worked with, and how he corrected the problems. its as great read.

8)

Forgot to add the most comprehensive book about Akitas. Akitas:Treasure of Japan by Barbara Bouyet. This book is oop, was reprinted once. I am trying to find one of the first prints eds. in perfect condition, but its not cheap. Another great Akita book is The World of the Akita written by Barb Andrews (famous O'BJ kennel.) Kira's great-great-great Granddaddy is on the back cover, lol.

I subscribe to WDJ and purchase issues of BARK regularly.

My absolute favourite dog book would be "Bones would Rain from the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier.