Dogomania

Do Stereotypes of breed owners exist?

Bare in mind that I hardly know anyone here so dont take offence to this. This is just a question, not meant to be personal.
We often see dog owners sterotyped acordig to the type of breed they own. For example, Pit Bull owers are thugs and Poodle owners are prissy rich people. Do you think there is any truth to any of the stereo types? Are there any similarities at all to owners of different breeds?

[quote name='Alan']Bare in mind that I hardly know anyone here so dont take offence to this. This is just a question, not meant to be personal.
We often see dog owners sterotyped acordig to the type of breed they own. For example, Pit Bull owers are thugs and Poodle owners are prissy rich people. Do you think there is any truth to any of the stereo types? Are there any similarities at all to owners of different breeds?[/quote]
Welcome to the forum Alan. And dont worry, no offense taken.
As much as I dont want to admit this, where I live the stereotype certainly exists. Most of the people I see walking pits are young punks with sagging pants who think they are the toughest gangsta-thugs on the planet.
I have yet to see a gangsta-thug walking a poodle or a border collie.

Yo bro. I live in da ghettos so dat is why I have em' here Rockweilers...... Can I get a holla?????? East side......

Sorry I'm just acting goofey. I think that people still are sterotyping owners which is wrong to do. My boyfriend is sterotyed all the time. He is black and wears the baggy clothing so people do tend to cross the street when he is walking the dogs. When I walk the dogs people come up to me and pet them. Maybe it is also a race issue. I don't know. :roll:

I think this is probably the biggest owner stereotype breaker I've ever seen. :lol:

[img]http://proxy.guardster.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/010100A/687474702f696d672e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f763632332f427562626174686573746166667962756c6c2f636869686d616e2e6a7067[/img]

HEE HEE! i am just thinking that i have an elkhound and a pyr and i am neither norwegian nor a shepherd... :D
at any rate. i don't know about stereotypes so much, although i am sure they exist for a reason, whether or not that reason has its basis in fact remains to be seen (good lord i have been working for lawyers too long-what a sentence! :o )
but i know that sometimes you are attracted unconsciously to a type or breed of dog that reflects how you feel inside, or how you think others see you. both taz and sasha are pretty impressive to look at and i guess i like to project that confidence too. sasha also is bigger than everyone else and i have always felt awkward about being tall.
of course, i also have a pomeranian so god knows where that came from!

[quote name='xavierandrea']Yo bro. I live in da ghettos so dat is why I have em' here Rockweilers...... Can I get a holla?????? East side......

Sorry I'm just acting goofey. I think that people still are sterotyping owners which is wrong to do. My boyfriend is sterotyed all the time. He is black and wears the baggy clothing so people do tend to cross the street when he is walking the dogs. When I walk the dogs people come up to me and pet them. Maybe it is also a race issue. I don't know. :roll:[/quote]
Hollllllla! Westside till I die.
Seriously though, no doubt people stereotype owners. Unfortunately for your bf, most people do automatically assume baggy streewear+big dogs=gangsta thug.
I judge these "gangsta-thugs" on their actions as opposed to solely their choice in fashion. Example: dude with sagging pants walking down the street with a pit who's neck is covered in a chain and padlock. Let's say this person is walking around like they own the block, staring you down, etc. My stereotype would be gangsta-thug. Now, take someone in baggy clothes walking their pit down the street and give me a nod, smile or hello. Well then, they are just someone with exquisite taste in dogs. :P I dunno how to explain it,but I think its pretty easy to distinguish people merely down with tha street as opposed to punks who walk around with their chest stuck out all macho thinking that they own the world.

I think sterotypes are true to some extent as there are for example, Pit BUll owners who are thugs. However, there are people like me, who are not. All of the boards I have been on before have been Pit Bull boards. This is the first all breed board. Since you guys are all friends and associate with each other and have different breeds, can you read a post and make a guess at the breed the person owns? Are there any true similarities at all of how certain breed owners act?

Jeff- I here ya'. You can distinguish people, I know what your trying to say and it is hard to explain. Ro is not that gangsta-thug. If people just stayed on the same side of the street they would have received " How are you today? I'm fine thank you." and a smile.....

ggod frief that chain lead on that chi is pulling the poor wee things neck down; its that heavy! :o Border collie people are supposed to be high energy like their dogs . Haha they would need to be to keep up with their collie! I do have loads of energy and love being out and about and doing something. When I get bored, I get silly and start being more hyper and saying silly stuff to wind people up or I go for a run if I have pent up energy, so my friends say thats my "Bored Border collie mood". :lol:

[quote name='Kat']:o Border collie people are supposed to be high energy like their dogs . Haha they would need to be to keep up with their collie! I do have loads of energy and love being out and about and doing something. :[/quote]
A little off topic, but I recently convinced a buddy of mine to not get a BC. He works like a dog, and is not the most energetic person when he is home. He did some research after talking with me and decided that a BC would not be the right fit for him.

Speaking of being stereotypical. . .sort, of. . .

We were at the park on Sunday and there was this young guy there with his pittie puppy. He looked like a really disrespectful punk, and I guess on this thread what we are referring to as a "thug." Well, despite the toughness radiating from him :lol: , I had to see the puppy.

I walked over and started asking him questions about his dog. She was only 6 weeks old and she had been given to him by a friend. He said that he was training her to be his body gaurd and something about using rabbits blood. I then asked him if she had had her shots (seeing as how we were at a public park with lots of other dogs and he told me no.

I sort of lost it by this time and told him that he is the reason that pits get such a bad repuatation and he should be ashamed of himself. I told him that the dog should not be at the park, especially without shots and a leash. My husband finally cut in before this guy beat me up. I guess you can't change the world can you?

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I think this is probably the biggest owner stereotype breaker I've ever seen. :lol:

[img]http://proxy.guardster.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi/010100A/687474702f696d672e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f763632332f427562626174686573746166667962756c6c2f636869686d616e2e6a7067[/img][/quote]

:lol: :lol: Looks like his girlfriend just made him hold her purse. Seriously, the stereotypes exist of course .. sometimes they are reflected in reality and sometimes not at all.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos'][quote name='xavierandrea']WHOOT WHOOT!!! Lucky who is that??????[/quote]

Someone my friend was with took that pic. He was at an ADBA show, surrounded by tons of pit bulls with this little chihuahua in a pink collar. :lol:[/quote]

He was very nice and gladly posed for the shot. His Chi was absolutely awesome, she was sooo friendly and happy to be petted.

As for the stereotypes, I live in the middle of the city and I see it every day. I doubt there are very many responsible owners around here, all I hear is pit fighting this and biggest, baddest pit that. You wouldn't believe how much dog fighting crap I hear sitting in class at school! I've been asked if I want to fight and/or breed my dog numerous times and he's neutered. I want to move out to the middle of nowhere and keep my APBT's all to myself. :wink:

[quote name='Jessashelony']I own two pit bulls and I am as nice as could be...

Horsefeathers on the other hand... She has poodles.. and she is MEAN!!!!! :o[/quote]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WwADA4Id731oHoBfBnPu2bemsnSuT60*xZYySbzh5NBWyYJNa51g*fud4Ywv8rssZrRsacCr8VUO2MnF599vKP8N96uPpPdttX!VgItXAA8wPoHiR1UyhphlAal2oii4MjrSkNwBtW4/go2room.gif?dc=4675520580487090037[/img]

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to know how would you sterotype someone who is walking with any combination of the following (I never take one dog at a time)

Pom (Black)
Aussie/Lab mix (Solid black of course)
Beagle (Tri color)
Beagle (Tri Color--No I'm not repeating myself...just see my sig)
ACD
Pit
MUTT
Great Pyr

Personally I talk to each and every dog owner I can. If they are open to listening GREAT...if not Oh well only thing I'm wasting is time.

Blue heelers (aka australian cattle dogs) are very intelligent with loads of energy but dangerous when bored, are as tough as nails, are hard-headed and stubborn but extremely loyal, will challenge everything you ask of them, are suspicious of authority, like to win, will take everyone on, and always think they are right.

Nup. Doesn't sound like me at all. 8)

I really don't notice any stereotypes other than the cool arty-farty people will often have a typical Aussie mutt like a heeler x or kelpie x and yuppie wankers who drive quasi Toorak Tractor 4WDs- like my aunty- will often have a designer breed like a Labradoodle or similar. Of course, these aren't always true, but there are people I know who fall easily into these stereotypes.