Dogomania

does any one know anything about...........

american eskimoes, chihuahuas, maltese, rat terriers, pekeingse, dachshunds, or chinese cresteds? those are the dogs on my list now. me and my boyfriend sat down and made a list of what we wanted in a dog. smart, easily trained, under 20 lbs, and great with kids. probably a non shedder as well since he complained alot after I had our son, and my hair started comeing out lol. thanks guys :D

well my list has changed again lol. its now chinese crested, larger chihuahua, maltese, miniature pinscher, and carin terrier. me and my boyfriend sat down last night and made a list of what we were looking for. we would like a smart easily trained dog under 20 lbs, and is good with kids.

I must say the opposite on min-pins. We had two when I lived at home. They were great dogs. One died. The other is still living and he is great little dog. He plays with my kids. My son prefers him because he is small. Toby is to big for my son he scares him silly. Just in my expierence though.

one that isnt so barky would be best. we get enuf noise with my cockatiel screeming :roll: barking at intruders and strange noises is ok though. I would love to have a dog that is watchfull. I will be home from 3pm to 11pm by my self with my young son. I am a bit of a fraidy cat :oops:

Schnauzers and just about any terrier are going to be barky. Any terriers other than the bull and terrier varieties tend to be pretty vocal. As do MinPins. Personally, I wouldn't reccomend any of the dog breeds that you have picked for a household with small children. The breeds you have picked are either small and fragile or somewhat tenacious and feisty. I would reccommend a Pug, French Bulldog or Boston Terrier if you are looking for smaller dogs. Pugs and Bostons are bit more sturdy and not as typically" terrier feisty" as the breeds you are looking at.

Personally, I have always loved the look and temperment of Giant Schnauzers, but they are too barky for my tastes.

[quote name='Michele']I have a chihuahua and mine is great with kids...not all chihuahuas like kids....also, mine is not yappy and is really friendly to everyone. Mine weighs around 9 pounds. You have to be careful with chihuahuas because they can tend to not like kids and they can be nippy....[/quote]
My bro's teacup chi does not like kids at all. He has tried to socialize her around kids w/ no luck (obviously no kid was in danger of being bitten.) Other that kids, she is the sweetest thing ever. Here's a pic of her after she broke a leg from jumping off the bed. I have noticed some chi's have knee problems. I could be wrong, but I do believe the breed as a whole is rather susceptible to knee injuries.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d933b3127cce9bc3e25bea4b00000016108Absm7Vo4cNI[/img]

I have heard of accidents where chinese cresteds have broken bones by jumping off a couch... im sure they are great with kids, but thats always a factor of how delicate they are, esp when there is kids involved....

Just a heads up... :)

I think the breed you pick should fit your personality, lifestyle, and your living conditond i.e apartment or House. Read up know what heath problems the breed in known to have see if you can handle these things. Most any breed if properly socialized from puppyhood will enjoy children of any age. Its those that never knew children that fear them and their ways. I have had both large and small breeds aroun dmy children never a problem as long as they were introduced and the children taught how to handle and play with the dog. As far as barking best to know how your neighbors will handle such. LOL My dachsie is not a big barker yet, I say yet he is only 10 and half weeks old. But when he gets going you would think he is a great dane. LOL little dog large bark.

To me its about educating yourself about the breed that interest you and find one that suits your lifestyle and personality. If you are not an acitve persona you dont want a jack russle or if your are very acitve you dont want a bassit. Those thype of issues. Many dog end up in the shelters cause people get a dog witout fully understanding how the breed tends to be.

Just my thoughts