Dogomania

Panda Shepherd

tessalicious9

I just found omething pretty interesting. I came across a "new breed" of dog being called a Panda Shepherd??? I guess there was a random mutation within a GSD breeding, and one of the pups "Franka" came out as a tri colored GSD, almost with Panda Bear markings. Apparently, these dogs are causing much termoil within the GSD community... Im not sure if its a photoshop job, of if its really true- Any input? See for yourself-

[b]Here is the main website:[/b]

[url]http://www.pandashepherds.com/[/url]

[b]Franka, the foundation bitch:[/b]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/franka/11.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/franka/7.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/franka/woods-2003a-001.jpg[/url]

[b]Franka's Offspring:[/b]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/frankas_pups/puppies_20small.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/frankas_pups/puppies_12small.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/dogs/frankas_pups/puppies_20.jpg[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Personally I see these "breeders" as nothing more than BYB's looking for money. Yes she is beautiful but she does NOT conform to standard. She should not have been bred.

I would never buy one.

The photos look authentic enough, but something still smells kinda fishy to me. Something about the morphology doesn't look quite right to me, I can't quite put a finger on it but maybe the chest seems too broad or the head too large. I dunno but definately something...

In snakes and other reptiles there is a recessive piebald gene that makes large patches of the skin devoid of any pigment. This looks somewhat similar and I know that a similar gene can be found in some mammals, but the coloration on these dogs looks far too uniform to be a true piebald, that and I also don't think they would have black noses.

What I think is that some certain dogs owners weren't paying attention when another dog snuck in and tied with a female. If you take note of the blue eyes I would guess there's some Border Collie or Aust Shep blood in those dogs.

[quote name='Canis erectus']

What I think is that some certain dogs owners weren't paying attention when another dog snuck in and tied with a female. If you take note of the blue eyes I would guess there's some Border Collie or Aust Shep blood in those dogs.[/quote]

Thank you....that was my thought.

Looks cattle dog-ish.

Nice.....real nice.....

From the main website
[quote]ALL PUPPIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR APPROVED NON BREEDING PET OR PERFORMANCE HOMES FOR $900.00 U.S.[/quote]

:evil: They are in it for money. Panda Shepherds, HA, People will do anything for money. Poor dogs I wonder if the even end up in good homes. I love it when there is a "new breed" to look at, NOT. :roll:

[quote name='Pumpkin the musher']If the dogs parentage is true, their pedigrees are fairly impressive- I was thinking that 900$ was a good price- I was thinking they were going to do the 2500 to 3000$ deal![/quote]

Actually pumpkins right. I was taking another look at the site, they don't really seem like BYB's. They have nice ped's, hips are done, not overbreeding, the only thing I can find fault in is they're not breeding a colour thats in the standard. If they were "normal" colour shepherds they would go from $900-3000 with pedigree's like those.

[quote name='Crystal']From the main website
[quote]ALL PUPPIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR APPROVED NON BREEDING PET OR PERFORMANCE HOMES FOR $900.00 U.S.[/quote]

:evil: They are in it for money. Panda Shepherds, HA, People will do anything for money. Poor dogs I wonder if the even end up in good homes. I love it when there is a "new breed" to look at, NOT. :roll:[/quote]

And I don't see anything wrong with listing the amount the puppies are. They say approved non breeding home, now I can't say what they'll approve and won't but at least they do say it. Also, non breeding, meaning they don't want the dogs to go to home where they'll be bred over and over.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']I just spoke with the breeder where we got our GSDs from.

She says she knows of these dogs and the lineage is great. She says they are very nice people.

I will eat my words and stand corrected. And....I will also email them and ask a few questions as now my interest is peaked![/quote]

hmm.. interesting.... i an't wait to get some feed back. i really think it looks like there is Kelpie or ACD in there somwhere..

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']Oddly enough, they are about 40 minutes away from me.

So Jer and I were invited to stop on by anytime we wanted to. She seems very nice. She told us to come on over and play with everyone since we lived so close to her.

Might just do that!![/quote]

Take pics! I still would never buy one, but those are beautiful dogs. Like giant border collies.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']Oddly enough, they are about 40 minutes away from me.

So Jer and I were invited to stop on by anytime we wanted to. She seems very nice. She told us to come on over and play with everyone since we lived so close to her.

Might just do that!![/quote]

wow!!! that's cool.. let us knwo if you go visit... and i agree with LC.. take a camera,.

Hey guys
I have known this breeder for a while now. She is very kind and very responsible. The dogs come from good, show quality lines. The "Panda shepherds" are a result of a random genetic mutation, and yes this has been genetically tested as the breeder says. She is not in it for money, but is hoping to develop the "breed" slowly for the sake of the dogs themselves, NOT money (personally, I think she is selling the dogs a little cheap--if she wanted to make money off of them, it would be easy for her to have bred every panda she has produced and sell the pups for a fortune. So far, she has done limited breeding, and to my knowledge, almost no advertising). Again, she is very responsible in her breeding practices, although she is risking her very name as a breeder to produce these dogs; it was not at all a snap-decision for her to breed Franka. I honor her for taking that chance. Genetic mutations don't come along everyday, especially ones like this. It appears to be a dominant piebald gene creating the dogs, which is unique since in all other dogs, piebalding is recessive. Even if Panda shepherds can contribute nothing to the shepherd breed itself, they can at least be given the chance to contribute to genetic science. Like I said, a mutation like this is not a daily event, and for the sake of knowledge, it should not be locked away just because it is “different.” (This world would never have gotten anywhere if standards were placed on everything, and nothing outside of those standards was ever allowed to grow and develop—we would still be in the Stone Age!)

In Iceland, the saying is, “a good horse has no color.” IMO, the same should apply to dogs.

~Seij

i just read all the information on that site. She really knows what she is doing.
Who knew such a thing could happen?Everything happens for a reason, and maybe Franka was born to her bitch because she was the right person to intoduce the breed. :wink:

they are very striking dogs. and the breeder does look like a very responsible one.

i too agree that color should not determine the quality of a dog.
as long as the color doesnt contribute health problems(like merle danes and such) i see no reason why a certain color should be looked down upon in any breed.

i'd buy one if we lived in a dream world of no overpopulation