Dogomania

ear croppings for dobermans?

dobedo

the breeder i bought my dobe said not to get her ears cropped until she was at least 12 weeks, but now she is 4 months. is it to late to crop her ears. and how much should it typically cost. im around a millitary base so i believe the pricees are a bit over priced over here. the prices range any where from 230 to 480. how much does it normally cost from youre personal experience :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :drinking:

Sizzle Dog posted these pictures of natural-eared Dobes on her thread about stacking.

This is how the Dobes look in new Zealand:
[img]http://www.kobra-dobermanns.com/photos/ChickenStacked_250x212.jpg[/img]

This is the sire of one of her dogs (in America):
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/ForLeah/TylerBOWmajor1crop.jpg[/img]

I had my first Dobermans ears cropped at 16 weeks and they stood up fine, it cost me $500. My second Dobermans ears were cropped at 11 weeks and they never stood up, (now when he perks them, they stand out to the side like an airplane:) They cost $500 as well.

Guest Anonymous

Oh please don't crop them! There are three reasons why I quit working as a vet tech...My stance on Docking, Ear Cropping and declawing!

I love natural ears on all dogs! I would never have any of those done on any animal (with 7 cats here...all but 2 have their claws and they came that way) non of my dogs are of breeds you would crop their ears.

[quote name='DobieGirl']I had my first Dobermans ears cropped at 16 weeks and they stood up fine, it cost me $500. My second Dobermans ears were cropped at 11 weeks and they never stood up, (now when he perks them, they stand out to the side like an airplane:) They cost $500 as well.[/quote]

I know of a few pups who were cropped so late. (At 16 weeks.) Pups that are imported to the USA from Australia are ususally cropped late, there's just no choice.

Breeders in the US crop Dobe pups between 7 to 12 weeks of age. The majority seem to do it at about 8 weeks old. Waiting for 16 weeks is a gamble, it's pretty late to crop a Dobe and know that the ears will stand. The type of ear leather a particular dog has will no doubt influence a late cropping decision.

Both of my Dobermans are cropped and docked. I do like the way they look but, that said, I have recently decided that I'd like to own natural eared Dobes in the future. No more cropped ears. I'm not going to knock folks who crop, it has just turned out to be my personal preference not to support it in the future.

A preference for natural ears is going to cause me all kinds of trouble when I do decide to get another Dobe. (Hopefully that won't be for years since I'm strictly a 2 dog family!) Almost all responsible breeders crop their entire litters prior to placing for two reasons. #1 is that Dobe rescue has in general been able to place cropped/docked Dobes much more quickly than uncropped ones. (Not saying the natural eared ones don't find homes. Just as a rule it seems to take longer and the longer Dobes sit in rescue using up a "space", the fewer Dobes rescue is able to help. Responsible breeders do everything that they possibly can to see to it that their dogs do not wind up in rescue but, in case all goes wrong, they think a cropped Dobe would find a home more easily than an uncropped.) #2 is that the final grading for show potential pups is usually done after the age that a Dobe would be cropped. Breeders want to be sure that if they produce a spectacular pup that it has cropped ears ergo, they generally crop the entire litter.

Since I will undoubtedly be looking for another performance Dobe in the future, I'll probably buy from a show dog breeder. Dogs that do agility take a "pounding" particularly large dogs like Dobes. I'll want a very good shoulder set and good rear angulation.....an all around structurally well built dog and the only place I can see getting one is to go to the show breeders.

Mason will finsih the DPCA's agility top 20 year as #5 in the USA. (Info isn't published yet but all scores are available on the AKC website so, I know this.) He's just 48 points short of his MACH (master agility championship) and I expect him to finish that this month. I'm hoping that when I do look for a breeder and ask for natural ears that they'll be willing to look at my "record" in the breed and be willing to "bend". I hope.

I was told that most clubs liek AKC and such are really getting away from the cropping and docking of the breeds that this is done to. Dobies can be showing in confrimation with natural ears just saw it on crufts so as strict as the UK is on confrimations shows I would say not to.

One Owner of a dobe told me that her dogs temperment changed after it when you touched the ears while petting her head some two years after, has has since got 2 more that she refused to crop the ears for that rason alone.

Its a personal choice really. I like a natural looking dog

Rana and Connor at present

[quote name='Ranas Crew']I was told that most clubs liek AKC and such are really getting away from the cropping and docking of the breeds that this is done to. Dobies can be showing in confrimation with natural ears just saw it on crufts so as strict as the UK is on confrimations shows I would say not to.

One Owner of a dobe told me that her dogs temperment changed after it when you touched the ears while petting her head some two years after, has has since got 2 more that she refused to crop the ears for that rason alone.

Its a personal choice really. I like a natural looking dog

Rana and Connor at present[/quote]

I believe it is not legal to crop dogs in the UK anymore so of course Crufts will have natural eared Dobermans. In the USA I believe there has only been a grand total of ONE Doberman with natural ears to finish a conformation championship. There is another one doing quite well and I do expect that one to finsh too but still......two dogs out of hundreds? If you're gonna show, not good odds.

Per the USA AKC standards, uncropped ears are a fault and a dog will be penalized for that fault. Sure, if you have an absolutely spectacular uncropped dog go ahead and show it.

While my choice in the future will be uncropped Dobes, I can't believe that cropping has any effect on their temperament at all.

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I honestly think its stupid to fault non cropped dogs. Its all for looks anyway, whats the big deal in letting uncropped dogs show?[/quote]

I agree with you although I know the Doberman community will fight that tooth and nail.

Ears don't make a Doberman and, heck, all Dobes are born with natural ears. Why should lack of cosmetic surgery be a fault?