Dogomania

dog limping

dobedo

:( :( i have a 4 month old dobe who has been limping for a week. she jumped out of my truck when i opened the door a week ago and has since been limping. im hoping that its just a sprain, but im really concerned that it may be signs of hip displayshia. ive read that its very common in dobermans. is it common for dobermans to show signs and symptoms at 4 months old. the limp is in her right front leg :( :( :( :(

Guest Anonymous

I'm not too sure about dobes because I don't have one. People on this board do have them though and I'm sure they'll be able to let you know about the hips. My suggestion is to get you puppy to the vet ASAP. If she's been limping for a week she should be checked out to make sure nothing is broken. I hope everything turns out okay. :)

[quote name='[email protected]']:( :( i have a 4 month old dobe who has been limping for a week. she jumped out of my truck when i opened the door a week ago and has since been limping. im hoping that its just a sprain, but im really concerned that it may be signs of hip displayshia. ive read that its very common in dobermans. is it common for dobermans to show signs and symptoms at 4 months old. the limp is in her right front leg :( :( :( :([/quote]

Hip dysplasia is in the hips, so it would be her back legs not her front. She could have strained something or worse, dogs hide pain pretty well. I would take her to the vet since she's been limping for so long.

Where did you get her from? A good breeder tests their dogs hips before breeding to make sure they don't have hip dysplasia. If you know her parents hip scores and they were good she should be okay. If you're extremely worried you can send in her hip X-rays to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals to have her hips certified clear of HD. But that can't be done until 2 years old when dogs finish growing.

She could have a sprain or a fracture. Although HD is out for front leg it could in theory still be something like Elbow Disp. A quick trip to the vet so the vet can look her over and then decide if x-rays are needed would be nice. Kavik (my BC) hurt his hip when he was a puppy but stopped limping in 3-4 days although if he got tired he walked funny for a couple weeks afterwards - been fine every since then though.

I have an 18 month old Dobe, he banged his leg running around the house and limped for a week and a half, and then on and off for 2 weeks after when he was out running. I took him to the vet and luckily he only had a bruised tendon. I'd say take it to the vet just to make sure, even if it turns out to be a bruise, at least it will ease your mind, you wouldn't want it to be broken and heal improperly.

thanks for the responses. i've noticed that the limp is worst when she first wakes and not so much when shes running and playing. is there still a chance of her having a fracture if shes running and playing with no signs of distress? im thinking it might just be a bruise or sprain

We can't observe your pup so it is hard for us to know.
If she is stiffer in the morning it could be joint/tendon/sprain or ElbowD as oppossed to a fracture, however, puppies like playing - they may ignore pain when they have something to do. The only way to know for sure is the vet. The X-ray for my foster GSDX when we were checking for HD were less than $90 and that including knocking him out so he'd hold still for them.