Dogomania

Urgent help needed!

[quote name='kendalyn']Exactly what happens when you let him off leash when he's inside? Have you even tried it yet?

Is he housebroken?[/quote]

He's good for a while. He gets very excited if someone he doesn't see often comes along. But when I try to put his leash back on, he might give a growling sound, or nip. :oops:

I'm not sure if he's housebroken. He'll go outside, and he has not had an "accident" yet, but who nows?

Can you just keep him inside full time and leave him off leash as much as possible? Work with him on commands when he's on the leash, than when he's off the leash. Work on a "chill" command to let him know he needs to calm down. You can have him in the crate at night and when you're gone.

Generally, with a male dog, you [i]know[/i] if he's not housetrained. So he's probably at least a little aware of the difference between inside and outside.

When he nips, is it playful, or is he serious? If he's already excited and rambunctious, it sounds like he's just playing very rough. You need to correct it of course, but I don't think it's aggressive or even necessarily a dominance thing. He just sounds excited to me. Training and more time in the house will help that.

Check out the crate training section in the Training Sticky in the Training Section.

Get thee to an obedience class. They are less than $100 for 6 sessions at places like Petsmart. If you can work with a behabiourist or do more that would be better but 6 sessions would give you a working start and would let someone who can observe your dog give you some suggestions.

He already graduated Obedience Training.

I let him off leash yesterday for half an hour. He was good for awhile, but when I tried to put his leash on, he went back to doing the same old thing. :evil:

I'm keeping him on leash for a while. He'll stay in the crate for an hour at the most up to this point.

I'm going to start feeding him inside soon.

I'm just going to keep him on leash for while.

If he graduated obedience than take him to an advanced obedience class or even better a Canine Good Citizenship class. I don't mean to pester but it just sounds like you are having a hard time managing him by yourself and a proffessional could really help. That way you would both be happier.

When you say he's "off leash" in the house, does that mean that the leash isn't attached to him, or not attached to you? When he's loose in the house, leave his leash attached so that you can grab it easily if you need to instead of having to actually attach a leash when he starts behaving.

well, not necessarily, and here's why. Now Kitty, dont get upset, but you have a pack problem with this dog. He should NEVER growl at you, whether you be putting on a leash or taking his food out from under him.
I mean NEVER......he may have been perfectly behaved at training, because the trainer is recognized as high above him in the hiearchy, and thats what he needs most.

leave his leash on him inside at all times. find a place for "time out"...in another room where you can enclose him either behind a baby gate, or
tether his leash to a chair. when he disobeys, try regular commands such as "sit", "lay down"...run him thru a short obedience course. treat him when he obeys, the better the behavior, the better the treat. hot dogs and cheese work well in this scenario.

if he GROWLS at YOU, about ANYTHING....time out. seperate him from you and everyone else, and leave him there, minimum of 15 minutes.
the worst punishment in a pack is isolation. it is the one thing that tells them straight out "I screwed up..."

you need to be alpha to this dog, without hurting him. its safer for everyone that way.

[quote name='JackieMaya']When you say he's "off leash" in the house, does that mean that the leash isn't attached to him, or not attached to you? When he's loose in the house, leave his leash attached so that you can grab it easily if you need to instead of having to actually attach a leash when he starts behaving.[/quote]

That's a good idea. Thank you. I mean the leash was not attached.

[quote name='K'][quote name='kittygirl109']He already graduated Obedience Training. [/quote]

I must admit I am confused by this...if you have been to what 6 weeks or more of classes...and he has graduated from the class...why is it that he still is not obeying you in the house?...what exactly did you do at the classes...bear with me because we dont have that sort of things here...[/quote]

Its a Basic Class, and it was 8 weeks. I practiced with him everyday. I'm not sure why he is still misbehaving.

He learned "sit, "stay", "lay down", "settle", "leave it", "come", and not to pull on the leash.

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']I have to agree with K. If he has had classes, shouldn't he listen to you no matter what? Zeus is outside & yet he still listens to me inside.. If you didn't take him, then he should be listening to your parents instead..[/quote]

I took him with my parents.

[quote name='courtnek']well, not necessarily, and here's why. Now Kitty, dont get upset, but you have a pack problem with this dog. He should NEVER growl at you, whether you be putting on a leash or taking his food out from under him.
I mean NEVER......he may have been perfectly behaved at training, because the trainer is recognized as high above him in the hiearchy, and thats what he needs most.

leave his leash on him inside at all times. find a place for "time out"...in another room where you can enclose him either behind a baby gate, or
tether his leash to a chair. when he disobeys, try regular commands such as "sit", "lay down"...run him thru a short obedience course. treat him when he obeys, the better the behavior, the better the treat. hot dogs and cheese work well in this scenario.

if he GROWLS at YOU, about ANYTHING....time out. seperate him from you and everyone else, and leave him there, minimum of 15 minutes.
the worst punishment in a pack is isolation. it is the one thing that tells them straight out "I screwed up..."

you need to be alpha to this dog, without hurting him. its safer for everyone that way.[/quote]

This is excellent advice. Thank you. I plan to use it. But first, sense Caeser is outdoor alot of the time (we are trying to change that) does he think of this as punishment?

no. its not punishment. its pack training. rarely do wolves ever actually get punished in a pack. they get "corrected", they are warned, they are are snapped at, they are isolated....punishment in a pack is not pretty...
they get rolled, bitten and sometimes killed. real punishment is often death in a pack...

all of that can be avoided, with correction. PM me if you need help please.

8)