Dogomania

rough coated collies

melissajean

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW - the collie standards are so different than here in the US! Thanks for sharing, I love your collies, funny how we just presume that the confirmation standards would be the same. Just wondering, are these EU standards? I know nothing about international showing.

Since the gene pool is different, do you have problems with Ivermectin in collies or problems like "collie eye". Collies here have really changed over the last 60 years, your dogs have the more traditional look.

Thanks for sharing photo's, keep them coming ...[/img]

[quote name='ellgee']WOW - the collie standards are so different than here in the US! Thanks for sharing, I love your collies, funny how we just presume that the confirmation standards would be the same. Just wondering, are these EU standards? I know nothing about international showing.

Since the gene pool is different, do you have problems with Ivermectin in collies or problems like "collie eye". Collies here have really changed over the last 60 years, your dogs have the more traditional look.

Thanks for sharing photo's, keep them coming ...[/img][/quote]

Ellegee I will try to share with you my opinion about EU collies. I hope you will understand everything :P
So as you can see Limba and Vega are completly different. Limba is the example of old type of collie. She is very big, with short and heavy coat.
Her movement is very good and she give it also to her puppys. One of them which is shown is already Pl.Youth Champion and 2 x CWC (3 titles CWC guarantee a Pl.Champion title). He is more similar to his grandfather ( JOLLY GOOD PLAYER de Florange). His body is more "light" than his mother and he have just wonderful movement!
here are his pictures in age of 12 months:
[img]http://www.lovelydream.cyberdusk.pl/images/jolly/jolly_small.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.lovelydream.cyberdusk.pl/images/jolly/jolly_big.jpg[/img]
Vega is in new type of EU collies. She is smaller than Limba as you can see on the picture and she won't be bigger. She has got fantastic sweat expresion and very good movement. Her coat is longer and she looks like "fluffy" :P. She has half hungarian and half english pedigree. Now many judges in EU keep big atention on strong bones, sweat head expresion and exelent movement.
I don't have any problems with eyes of my dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

you know you could get an aussie. they are probibly as hyper as a bc but they are sweet and my friend just got one (it is about 6 years old) but she is so smart and obeys and is ready to go out when you are.

a cavalier king charles they are sweet and they are between 15-20 lbs.

scottie dogs are cool!(scottish terrier)..... i think anyway. they are friendly dogs and about 18-20 lbs. and they are just sooo cool :D

lol but really i would prefer a mutt like mine :D shih tzu border collie mix shes hyper and still growing!

sailordragon87

• 4 months later...

Sugar I have to say WOW too! Yours are the Lassies that my mind's eye saw when I read the old books! The Hollywood Lassies do not even come close to the beauty of yours. Stunning.

Now the the original post (sorry I got sidetracked! :lol: ) I too vote for an older rescue, purebred or not. One that has a proven track record of being good with children, and hhas worn off it's puppy energy.

Unattractive? Deformed head? Hummmm, I think I have to beg to differ. :D Here's some pics of my two Smoothies, Oz (sable merle) and Gulliver (blue merle):

[img]http://nothinbuttdogs.com/Vacation15.JPG[/img]

[img]http://nothinbuttdogs.com/gull_oz_1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://nothinbuttdogs.com/GullXmas4.JPG[/img]

I also have to say, I'm not a very active person and have had no issues with the energy level of my Collies. They're active, but not to the level of say a Border Collie or Aussie or even a young Lab or Golden. They learn really quick, so one of the first things I teach them is fetch and catch games, which eventually leads to frisbee. That way they're doing a bunch of running, but I'm not. So we'll have 5-10 mins session (they poop out quick), 5 or 6 times throughout the day. Some of the fetch sessions are even while I'm watching TV or surfing on the internet.

I don't have kids, so mine didn't get a whole lot of socialization with them, but they are really great with my nephews, when they do see them. Oz acts like they're his kids and it's his responsibility to watch over them. He truly lives up to the "Lassie" mystique.

They are very trainable. Easy to housebreak. Neither of mine were very destructive as puppies (I'm always amazed at the horror stories I hear about other breeds and what they've destroyed during the puppy chewing phase). They're easy to handle on leash, because they're not big pullers. Both were at the top of the class in their respective obedience and agility classes and being a novice, I'm not that great of a trainer. I definitely give full credit to the breed.

Being a herding breed, they can be a lil' nippy as puppies. Oz was, Gully wasn't, but it's easy to teach them to curb that instinct. Show'em what you want and they'll do it. The only training issue I've ever had with them is barking. I've really focused on keeping that under control, because they really do want to tell you about everything. The bark is very loud too, so I wouldn't recommend them for apartment living.

Les...
NothinButtDogs.com