Dogomania

rough coated collies

melissajean

hello. I am a newbie (my intro is under dogless newbie) when me and my guy get our own house we are going to be getting a rough coated collie. I belong to a yahoo group and a msn group on collies, but i am alsways looking for more info ideas whatever. I am not a first time dog owner, but it has been a while. I was just wondering if any one on here has a RC collie. I have never owned a collie before, but I am trying to do all the research I can. some peole on my groups are saying males are more laid back than females. what do you guys think? what would be some good things to have when I bring home pup? what are some good pup toys? well I basicly am looking for what ever info you guys can give. this looks like a great forum. thank you

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Collies is that they are working dogs. No matter if they are smooth, Border or rough they will not make a good pet to just sit by the fireplace. They are extremely exuberant and must be worked to curb their energy and channel their energy into something useful otherwise destructive and aggressive behaviour will result.

If I were you I wouldn't get a collie unless you can dedicate a lot of time and energy to that dog, and if you have a young child I would advise you against having any collie breed.

can I ask what breed you would sugest? we are going to a dog show this laborday weekend to meet a lot of diffrent breeds. I would never leave my son alone with any dog, but I would like one that he can play with. and all the collie people I have talked to said there collies were great with kids. I am open to sugestions. I want to find the right breed for our family.

Since you were thinking of Collies, lots of hair obviously doesn't bother you. So I would recommend Golden Retrievers. They've always been my favorite dog. I grew up with Goldens (and Yellow Labs). Goldens are great with kids, smart, affectionate, and most of all, very happy!

my guy said no labs, goldens, beagles or sight hounds (I love whippets and, well all sight hounds). my guy isnt too fond of hair being shed, but it will give him an exuse to vacume. I love toy breeds. my favorite breed is the yorkshire terier. but with my son being so little those breeds are out. i like em small and fluffy. but I also have fallen in love with the RC collies. oh and my guy said absalutly no poodles.

Hi and welcome!
I have had a rough Collie, and Taz, the dog in my siggie, is half Collie and half Elkhound.
Yes, they are a working breed but like Labradors, if exercised sufficiently (30-45 minutes on a walk plus playtime) they are good house pets. If not, they will herd everything in sight. They do like to bark. The hair doesn't seem to bother you much, right?
Temperament depends more on the individual dog than the sex of the dog. There are a lot of rescue organizations for Collies if you are looking for an older dog as well.

yea. I plan on walking the dog alot. also the house were looking at has a fenced in yard. I woulnt mind a less active dog, but the collie temperment fits our family so I am willing to be more active. I am walking more. but if any one can suggest a collie like tempermnet with less activity i am all for it lol

Keep in mind, if you go the rescue route, a 5 or 6 year old collie is going to be alot less demanding exercise-wise than a 1 or 2 year old. Unfortunately a lot of the breeds that are similar in temperament also have similar exercise needs-you might want to check out the AKC website and look at the breed descriptions under "Herding" and "Sporting" dogs. Good Luck!

yea I know how big collies are. I am more into the smaller breeds, but I was willing to make an exception cause coillies have such a great temperment. I looked into shelties, and they just wernt right for us. and I talked to a lot of owners and breeders.

You can probably find a terrific mix at [url]www.petfinder.org[/url]. They often tell you lots about the temperment of the dog being adopted out so that will help with kids. You of course can't look at every dog on petfinder - there are 10s of thousands of them - so you can search by area and size of dog. Or you could search by area and breed (sometimes there are purebreds but often a dog will be listed by the dominant breed or guessed breed in the mix.) If you are keen on rough collies you could check them out and their mixes out and see if one has a temperment to suit you. A 20 lb dog might be a bit small to play with a child but of course there are exceptions. Other breeds/mixes you might look at are:
Border Terrier
Wheaton Terrier
Australian Shepherd *
Springer Spaniel *
Feild Spaniel *
English Setter *
Flat-Coated Retriever*@
American Cocker Spaniel
English Cocker Spaniel
Shetland Sheepdog
And I do think a Smooth Collie* could work if you have done your research (and it sounds like you are doing it) and are prepared for their excercise needs. They are great with kids in my experience its just they do need that excercise and are smart too so they need something to do with that smarts are they get bored - bored dogs cause problems.

*These dogs are going to have a bit higher excercise needs than the other dogs on the list but so long as you are prepared for this it shouldn't be a problem.
@This dog looks a bit like a more slightly built Lab/Golden cross so if your SO isn't interested in Labs he might not like this one on the basis of looks but they are good dogs.

Going to a dog show is great, especially if you get a chance to talk to folks about the breed/breeds you are interested in. Hope it all goes well and that when you get your new dog you post pics here. :D

I am constantly checking petfinder.......but it backfiers on me to cause I cant get a dog right now, so when I see one I like I cant get it, and it kills. I am also on there forum I am melissajean19. I am so excited to be going to the dog show. it will be my first one. I would love to show, but there is only two here a year and one isnt akc. and i dont have my drivers liscense

I'm obviously a Collie owner... Nathan is my second Smooth Collie & it is by far my favorite breed. Both Smooth Collies I've had have been absolutely great around children... the first one would watch over family friends' children in my parents' pool & the one now is a rescued Collie that is pretty shy around most people, but took an instant liking to our neighbors young child while we were out walking him...
If you're not into constant grooming, a Smooth collie may be more to your liking. The Smooth Collies will drop more hair but both types are similar w/ the double coats. The Rough just needs to be brushed out more... Anyhow, I strongly suggest looking into some Collie Rescue groups... they really need the support & the dogs need good homes & people to care for them. There's a list of organizations on my site & you can probably find one near you if you're still looking :)

I Melissajean - I am a newbie here too - but I am a collie mom. I volunteer in collie rescue and I have adopted 2 "unadoptables" from rescue (due to their BAD behavior). Although I am down to 1 collie now, he's very energetic. Forces you to get out and do things with the dogger.

Many collies are very placid, non chalant, stoic, apathetic and lazy. You may find a good match for you and your energy level, especially if you adopt an older collie, I would also suggest you get involved in Collie rescue before you adopt, they are excellent for resources, you will get an oppurtunity to meet many collies so you CAN find a good match. Rescues may have special needs or "challenges", but involving yourself in rescue allows you to reaaly get to know a dogger before actually committing to one.

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/LINDA_IMOM/th_350684875vtAbBe_ph.jpg[/img]

another reason I am going smaller is even thought I love the larger breeds I just cant handle them. I love the collie temperment, but just not there size. I took a good look at my self and realised I just coulnt handle the bigger dogs. I really really like collies, but I dont want to get a dog I cant handle. and my guy will be at work all day, well from 3pm to 11pm. I really thank you for your help though :D

• 5 weeks later...

[b]pyrless[/b] thank you very much :lol: I think that next week I will put here new fotos because tomorow we are going to the countryside :lol:
I just love my collies and can't imagine life without them.

Here some fotos of my babies from last 2 weeks :)

Vega
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/KopiaObraz664.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/KopiaObraz656.jpg[/img]

Limba
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/KopiaObraz651.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/KopiaObraz642.jpg[/img]

And here some fotos of Vega from the dog shows
Hungary, Szilvasvarad
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/vega02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/vega01.jpg[/img]

Poland, Leszno
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/snooopy/KopiaObraz606.jpg[/img]