Dogomania

Doberman Question

Canis erectus

Is anyone familiar with the blue colored dobies? I started seeing them only about 4 or 5 years ago and am wondering where the hell they came from. Maybe it's just me but these poor dogs seem riddled with maladies, especially skin problems.

I've only seen six of these dogs before, and it seems like the coats on most of them had varying degreed of sparsness. I was told some time ago that this is pretty characteristic for this color type. I don't know if that's true or not but it's definately quite unattractive for a dog that was bred for it's asthetics.

Anyway, yesterday I talked a client out of buying one of these dogs and that made me a bit intent on finding out more about them.

I was able to find out a little info on my own. I thought the blue colored dobies were something new but I guess they've been around since something like 1900. And the skin problems that I'm seeing on these guys is probably something called 'Blue Doberman Syndrome'. I can't remember the actual name for the disease but it causes hair loss and bad skin, and is most common in the blues.

Blue and Fawn Dobermans are dilutes of Black and Red. Color inherentence in Dobermans can be a very tricky business. The DPCA has a chart up here that will tell you what colors you can expect from a given breeding. [url]http://www.dpca.org/color.chart.5.html[/url]

Most breeders try to avoid producing dilutes since they generally do have sparcer coats than the blacks and reds. Sometimes it's difficult to know for sure what colors you may be producing. A sire who is thought to be a dominant black may have sired 8 all black litters so he's breed to a wonderful example of a fawn Dobe in order to retain all of her positives yet use the dominant black gene to get rid of the dilution......then, when the pups arrive, they suddenly find out that the dog they thought was a dominant black (#1) wasn't one at all....he was a #2 or #3...

There is no genetic test to tell you which dogs carry dilution. Yes, researching pedigrees will give you a handle on teh ones that you can be pretty sure do but, surprised can and do crop up.

There are some breeders out there who are producing fawns and blues with very good coats but, that's not the norm.