Dogomania

Abyssinian Sheep Dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Over the past few years I've been compiling information on dog breeds, and have taken up a special interest in extremely rare and extinct breeds. I came across a breed called the Abyssinian Sheep Dog in one of my books ("Dogs" by Desmond Morris), but the only information listed was that it was exhibited at the London Zoo in 1841. Unlike most other breeds, I was unable to uncover [b]any[/b] other information on this breed, and it's honestly driving me crazy :drinking: I know it's a longshot, but has anyone ever heard of this breed, or know anything about it?

--CanisSimensis

Guest Anonymous

The Abyssinian Terrier also has an entry in Morris' book, and it had a quite a bit of information on it. There's actually a picture of a stuffed dog here: [url]http://www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/shpics2.htm[/url], as well as a few more rare breeds.

As for the Sheep Dog, thanks anyway for searching :D

Haven't heard of it, and I'm pretty up to snuff on breed ID's. Maybe it's something new? Or a new layman's name for an established breed? If that's the case the only herding breeds that come from anywhere near that region (that I can think of right now) would be the Canaan Dog or something like the Kuvasz or Akbash Dog.

Now that I've been completely unhelpful, I'd like to point out how interesting that photo of the Dachshund is on that link you provided. If it's not a crossbreed or mongrel of some kind it really opens up some insight on that breeds history. I wonder how old it is.

• 4 weeks later...