Dogomania

first date

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HELLO,IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND WOULD LIKE TO ASK ANYONE OUT THERE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE,WHAT TO EXSPECT OUT OF MY DOG AND A FRIENDS DOGS FIRST DATE(WHO IS IN HEAT).I HOPE THAT NO ONE YELLS AT ME LIKE THAT "CINDY"CHIC.THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME BREED AND ARE IN PERFECT HEALTH W/ALL THERE SHOT AND ALL.HELP IN OHIO :roll:

This is long but bear with me. I want to make sure there are no misunderstandings and clear up some misconceptions. Hopefully this will help and we can get on to the main questions regarding breeding shortly.

I'm not sure who you were referring to with "that Cindy chic" but peope will likely not yell at you here (intestingly tying all in caps is considered "yelling".) However, folks here are serious about their dogs, serious about proper breeding and serious about pet overpopulation (see this link for just a hint at the overpop problem [url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Dog[/url] ) so they will likely want to be sure you're not a BYBer or Miller in the making. I'm sure you understand, you wouldn't want to help some one like that either right, it's reasonable for peopel to be sure they aren't contributing to a problem even if the questions are hard questions.

[quote]THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME BREED AND ARE IN PERFECT HEALTH W/ALL THERE SHOT AND ALL[/quote]

As for this - I'm not sure you are familiar with the sort of vet/cert/healthcheck that people often refer too in reference to breeding and how it differs from being in "perfect health w/all there shots."

The sort of ver/cert/healthcheck people are refering to in part depends on the breed. For instance Great Danes are prone to Canine Hip Dysplaysia, Gastric Torsion and Cardiomyopathy as well as some CVI (wobbler's), Osteochondrosis, Hypertophic Osteodystrophy, Osteosarcoma, cataracts and elbow dysplaysia. Some of these things can express themselves later in a dogs life or skip generations. So a responsible breeder does genetic testing, xrays and ensures that the dogs lineage/pedigree/family is free of serious ailments for a few generations.

That is what we are talking about. Of course your not going to breed an unhealthy animal without its shots, that's not what we're worried about.

The reason people ask "how are you going to better the breed" is because of the overpopulation problem and the poor breeding problem. There are so many dogs in shelters that we all need to be sure that we are doing everything right when we breed and that there is a purpose beyond making money or "because Rover is such a sweet dog." There are so many poorly bred dogs with health and behaviour problems that they give everyone a bad name so we all need to be extra careful.

So when we breed we are looking at doing it for a good reason. Betterment of the breed is a good one. Breeding out weak hips in GSDs, breeding in good reliable temperment in a breed with problems with it, breeding out a genetic problem in a breed with problems wtih it or restoring a positive trait that has been waining.

Generally this should be done with as much forthought as possible and with lots of education, backup plans etc before the dogs are ever even brought together.

Hope that helps. Any answeres to Newfiemom's questions would be great.[/quote]

Thanks DL.

I had originally thought thay maybe people weren't understanding what we were getting at because we used "lingo" even though it seemed fairly straightforward to me. I thought maybe they were misunderstanding our concerns. You could be right though, there are a lot of people out there who don't want to hear it - they just want to pump out a litter and make a buck. :(
Oh well, I'll try again with the next one.
(I'm not even going to address the mix-bred thing - I figure one step at a time - if we can get them to do health certs, not breed for a buck, take proper care of their animals, ensure good homes and breed for a purpose than that will be enough.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...