Dogomania

Breeds of Dogs Most Often Needing Adoption

DogPaddle

So I was on Petfinder today and I was curious as to how often you find certain breeds posted. You can check the full list out here:
[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Dog[/url]
However here are the big ones:
American Staffordshire Terrier 1848
Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler 2105
Australian Shepherd 2462
Basset Hound 1234
Beagle 4599
Black Labrador Retriever 4246
Border Collie 3436
Boxer 3007
Chihuahua 2138
Chow Chow 3116
Cocker Spaniel 1764
Collie 1954
Dachshund 1531
Dalmatian 1310
Doberman Pinscher 1218
German Shepherd Dog 6633
Golden Retriever 2432
Greyhound 1519
Husky 2069
Jack Russell Terrier (Parson Russell Terrier) 1049
Labrador Retriever 11921
Pit Bull Terrier 4505
Retriever 927
Shar Pei 1105
Shepherd 6247
Siberian Husky 1397
Spaniel 1002
Terrier 3763
Yellow Labrador Retriever 1561

If you combine certain headings you get a better idea too. For instance how many dogs in the Terrier heading do you think are pits - a lot, same with Labradours in the Retriever section.

American Staffordshire Terrier 1848
Pit Bull Terrier 4505
Terrier 3763
ACTUAL TOTAL - Aprrox 10000

Black Labrador Retriever 4246
Labrador Retriever 11921
Chocolate Labrador Retriever 736
Retriever 927
Yellow Labrador Retriever 1561
ACTUAL TOTAL - Approx 19000
Notice how high the percentage of black labs is. Also there are nearly 2x as many Labs as the next most prevelant breed.

German Shepherd Dog 6633
Shepherd 6247
ACTUAL TOTAL - Approx 12000

I think the next dog I adopt will be a Lab/Pit/Shepherd or any one of the dogs on the big list.

Cool beans, DP!

The only thing "misleading" about it all is that a lot of these breeds are just guesses by shelters and rescues. I guess it's still a good rough estimate, but I've looked at PetFinder a lot, only to see a lot of dogs that don't look anything like what they're labeled as (using Dobes as a good example).

It's hard for me to say what I'm trying to say without sounding like I'm knocking rescues and shelters and mixed breed dogs. I'm certainly not! I'm just saying it's hard for me to figure out how to estimate a certain percentage of these dogs since there's really no way, a lot of times, to know what they really are. I reckon it's still a good rough estimate.

My next [u]intended[/u] adoption will be a retired racing Greyhound.

Sadly those statistics don't surprise me. When you think about the statistic dynamics Labs would have the highest number simply because of the sheer numbers of them being kept in the country. Pit Bull types are far more common than any statistic is able show, and they unfortunately are commonly kept by human low-lifes, all too often leading the dog into the hands of animal control. And in short, Beagles and German Shepards seem to often find their way into the hands of people who failed to educate themselves about exactly what sort of dog they were getting.
What's really sad is the total number of dogs for adoption, 115,000, and that's only just what's on Petfinder.

To be honest, I'd totally love to have another Pit or Pit mix in my life, but after dealing with Penny (for those that remember her) and learning what I now know about having to be "on guard" for dog aggression, I just can't do it. I plan to always have a multi-dog household and I don't think I have it in me to ever have to go through that business of having to worry if my dogs will get along.

Disclaimer: I realize that dogs of any breed can decide they don't like each other. I'm just talking about how you have to be so aware when you have Pits. I've lived that 24/7 separation business and it still ended up in disaster, so I am just not planning on doing it again. As a breed, I really like Pit Bulls and mixes. I just don't think I'm the right home for one.

[quote name='DogPaddle']I think the next dog I adopt will be a Lab/Pit/Shepherd or any one of the dogs on the big list.[/quote]

DP, we did something similar. When we adopted Tucker, our black Lab(mix?), we had recently read something about large adult black dogs being hardest to get adopted. We went to the shelter and asked to see all the adult black dogs and that's what we adopted.

When Jackie was listed on Petfinder, she was listed as a Golden Retriever mix, but who knows what breeds she really is? They guessed Golden Retriever/German Shepherd/Collie, which looks to be a pretty good guess, but nobody really knows. With her color, they could have listed her as a German Shepherd mix, and then she would be in a whole different category.

It is very sad to see the sheer numbers of dogs on Petfinder. I'm happy to say that I saved three of them. My city doesn't allow more than 3 dogs per household (without being a kennel), so I'm safe now. LOL

How sad, I had no idea there were [i]that[/i] many dogs out there without a home, I knew it was a problem but I didn't think it was so bad. :cry:

I did think about adopting at one point but changed my mind. I may just adopt one or two of those dogs within the next month or so, we'll see.

Horsefeathers, I commend you for opening up [b]your[/b] home to some of these dogs, kudos! :buzi:

HF - I understand what you meen about breed misrepresentation. If you click on Border Terriers in petfinder you get a lot of Border Collies. If its black with white on the belly or feet its a Border Collie. If its tan and black its a German Shepherd. :niewiem: On Petfinder a good portion of the dogs are listed by their owners, some of whom are uneducated. Some rescue groups aren't good at breed id or just make their best and try to get them homed. Additionally there are some people out there who will call their black pitmix a labmix because they think it will help get them homed.
Oh and I don't blame you for deciding not to take another pit or pitmix. You tried, you are educated about the breed and know it isn't for you and your household - that's responsible.

Canis - I know, aren't those numbers astonishing. I think the AKC, CKC, WhateverKC, petstores, petsupplystores, breeders and public service announcement media should have to post those sort of stats all over the place.

Miss J - Nice to here you are thinking about adopting. If adopting more than one is truley what would work out for you keep an eye out for postings on Petfinder or your local rescues and shelters for dogs that are to be adopted together. They will already be adjusted to each other and won't have to be broken up.

Thats not surprising. People get labs and Beagles cuz they think that they're such good dogs and don't get me wrong cuz they are infact they're 2 of my most favorite breeds and if i could adopt 2 nore dogs u bet those would be the 2 breeds of dogs I'd chose. A few months go by and they're cute little lab or beagle pup is now 6 months or more older and they haven't been properly trained or owners didn't have the time for them and they're running al over and the owners can't handle them and take them to the HS and sadly never come in touch with another home again and are pts. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Those are numbers I"ve looked at before. Always depresses me. One thing I tried to stress to the dog group I was with before with black dogs, take pictures of them outside, get good face shots or if all else fails use a white sheet as a back drop. Make the dog more visible at adoption days, don't put it in a black cage against a wall and expect people to notice it. Put a white sheet in the crate put a light blue sheet on the back. Something to make them more visible.

I personally am a black animal kind of person. Two black c@ts, 3 solid black dogs and one mostly black dog (and that's out of 6 dogs).

When hubby and I look for an animal we look at the ones LEAST likely to be adopted. When I took Smudge in back in December it was because he wasn't likely to be adopted, he was a black and white pittie who was going to be huge (for those of you who weren't here then Smudge came to me with Parvo and I lost him 9 days after he entered my heart).

HF-I don't blame you and even agree with you on the Pits. Don't get me wrong I love my Prissy girl and at 3 years old as long as she is given enough time to get used to the idea of a dog staying (I NEVER introduce her to a new foster dog right off the bat-we have a way to introduce her that works for us) she is good, she is very stable with dogs she knows. The fear I felt in the pit of my stomach was so bad for the first 2 years I had her, I was so afraid I'd missed some signal that things were going to get bad and that I missed the key signs that she was going to be dog aggressive and I was paranoid. I'm VERY lucky and know that. She has never raised a lip to another dog in this house, never growed and gets along wonderfully even with my witchy girl. Am I ready for 24/7 separation...of course I have to be. Do I pray every day that we never have to do that...yes. I have done 24/7 separation between my former foster Beaux (here for a year) and Prissy because Beaux wanted to eat Prissy and left a nasty gash on her head after the first and only "battle" in which Priss just rolled over.

If I ever get another Pit of my own it will be an older adult from a rescue. Besides the fact that I am not a fan of young puppies an older adult gives me an idea of what to expect when we get home. Not a perfect idea I know but at least I have some idea.

Courtnek, I'm right behind you where hounds are concerned. In a couple years or so, we'll be getting an American Bulldog for our daughter, but other than that I'm certain all of my future dogs will be of hound type.

If there was one group to point the finger of blame at in regards to these most commonly homeless dogs, I'd say that it's the breed clubs. Of course there is no single group of people who is at fault; but it seems to me that breed clubs are the ones primarily at fault for misrepresenting a breed's given nature and care requirements. Maybe it's just in the US but I can't be the only one who feels like breeders and breed clubs of some of these most popular breeds are always trying to sell you the idea that their chosen breed of dog is the best of them all, and is the best dog for you.

What do you hear about German Shepards all the time? That they're intelligent, obedient, great watch dogs, and wil protect your family. Nevermind that they are a herding breed and require loads of excercise and mental stimulation. And Beagles might be the perfect plaything for your little nose-picker if they didn't typically have better things to do, like find food or track an ant through the woods.

That said, I guess the real problem is with foolish people who don't bother to educate themselves before aquiring a dog and simply get one on impulse because it looked cute, or because it's culturally acceptable that 'everyone' has a dog.

Bufoons... oh well.

They are listed seperately because that is what people list them as I think.

Tammy - It's odd most breed clubs/breed sites/responsible breeders that I've come across don't push their breed so much, but then I was never really looking for a Lab. The BC groups really seem to want to be sure you know what your in for. :lol: Same with Malinois and working GSD groups, I haven't checked show GSDs though.

Guest Anonymous

It's funny looking at the "breed" and wondering how close are they really to that breed. I think "Mutt" should be a good enough answer. But I've also noticed that Corgis don't show up in the shelters very often at all. And a lot of the smaller dogs that have the bone structure of a beagle/terrior maybe are labeled as Corgis just so they look more adoptable.

I've been wanting a corgi for my brother for a long time now, and never been able to find one in a shelter or any rescue groups in the area. But the problem with some rescues, is that they want to charge an arm and a leg for them, when you can get a pup for the same price. And my mom just doesn't have a 100 or 200 for a dog up front. I really think my brother could benefit from having a dog but there's a size restriction of 25lbs where my mom lives. And I'm scared that my brother would try to lead the dog by the tail. He doesn't bother Kiani, but then again she always lays down as close as possible next to me and gets out of the way of him.

odnarb: Pits are illegal in dade county. Which I guess is a good thing because of the sheer amount of irresponsible people who used them for dog fighting. So on one hand it's saving them from it. But 8 of 10 times in the broward shelter it's a pit. And up here, I've noticed a lot of pits at the dog park. One night there were 3 of them all playing together. So they're a good dog with a bad reputation from bad people. Some of the pits get adopted, but you're probably right, most are PTS.

i dont want to start an argument but...

a 100 or 200 adoption fee is nothing, and the shelters/rescues lose money. it costs alot more for them to fully vaccinate, spay/neuter, heart worm test, heart worm prevention(if they are negative..) and flea prevention, etc.

if you cant afford 100 or 200 then how can someone care for a dog?? it costs alot of money to properly care for a dog with food(high quality), bowls, leashes, collars, tags, shots, flea prevention monthly, heartworm prevention monthly, etc. and in the event of something tragic..well you see what i mean...

I agree with AllAmericanPUP. Even if you do buy a puppy from a poor breeder for a $100 or so, you still need to have it spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. That means you'll need at least $300 "up front".

Rescues charge a very minimal adoption fee. Especially when you remember that the dog has been totally vetted when you take him home!

I also agree with AllAmericanPup. If you can't afford the adoption fee, then you can't afford to get a dog.

I adopted Maya for $100, and that night I had to take her to the emergency vet clinic for a severe allergic reaction, which cost me anoather $150 or so. And then last spring, she got real sick from eating something from the gutter that the lawn guys left, and I had a $400 emergency vet bill. So she ended up being an expensive rescue dog, but that's okay with me! She's worth it!

And the rescue shelter I adopted Pooh Bear (and the girls too) from is paying for his hip surgery. But if they wouldn't have done that, I would have found a way.

You always have to expect the unexpected with animals.

Me too.

Zaphod cost me 150 to adopt (with a $50 spay/neuter rebate.) A few months later he cost me $435 in a week and half due to 2 after hours emerg. vet trips.
At my mum's charity adopting a dog out costs the charity $60 IF the dog is already speutered, has NO health problems and doesn't need to be boarded until a foster can be found. It costs a good amount for shots, ads, "administrative costs" like paper for the fax machine etc. Many charities have to do lots of other fundraising to keep costs down to $150 or so and plenty of organizers and volunteers eat a fair portion of the costs themselves.

Guest Anonymous

Well I don't know where you come from, but here, it's only 60$ for a pound puppy, and I think 75$ for a humane society dog. And yes, I know the fees that it takes for getting a dog. Kiani's a pound puppy herself. I know the initial cost in buying the leash, food bowls (and the occasional extra one if she breaks it), the food, and the vet. If you haven't been over to the health board lately, then let me catch you up on the fact that I took Kiani for a second time about a UTI. it cost me about 90$ the first visit. Then another 25$ afterwards because she got a hernia, and again 80$ this last time for UTI. Which just had to happen right after I lost my job. I'm not that stupid and ignorant. And yes, she needs to have surgery for the hernia, but according to the vet he said it wasn't life threatening and that I could wait until I had the 200$ for it. But I also know that if she has bladder stones, that's an emergency at least 600$ or more surgery. And while she's under they can fix the hernia and remove the wart for minimally extra.
And if you want to get into money. There was an artical in the paper about how much the stupid president of the humane society gets. And how much money is going into the employees and not to the animals. Granted it's a very nice facility and a nice staff, but more could be done for the animals and less for his wallet.
I'd rather wait for a dog to show up in these places than go to the other rescue groups to pay over a 100$ for an animal that needs a home.

Just like the rest of you, I have a dog also, and I know the expenses going into taking care of an animal. And granted I also have a c@t, 5 hamsters, 7 guinea pigs, 30 gal saltwater tank, 10 gal freshwater tank. Everything costs money.

[quote]My next intended adoption will be a retired racing Greyhound.[/quote]
OMG, I've been wanting to since forever! But since there are no racing tracks here, I'll just have to wait until I move to the States or wherever. I was actually looking at rescues the other day, such heartwarming faces. :)