Dogomania

Conner is NOT listening...

pomeranians

Well, I've been having some problems with Conner lately. :( He doesn't seem to want to take any commands. My mom and I have been practicing "come" almost everyday, (something he REALLY needs to learn), I practice all his tricks, and reward him, but he is still acting as stuborn as a mule.

I really don't mind if he doesn't listen perfectly, the only thing is, if I call him, he runs the other way! :-? This is becoming a very big problem, as just today, he provoked the neighbor dog to chase him. (Thank god the dog is freindly.)

I really have no idea what the problem is, anyone have any thoughts?

Keep him on a leash at all times. Even in the house.

You call him, he doesn't come, how is that teaching him to come to you?

With a leash on, you call him, he doesn't come, now you have the other end of the leash and your reel him in with tons of praise.

PoGo is much better when come once we did that.

Guest Anonymous

how old is conner?

there is one stage in particular--between 3-8 months depending on the dog--where they begin to test their independance.

This is when the will not come when you say come, sit when you say sit, even when they have been successful with these commands up to this point.

read this article, it gives a good overview of puppy development (and he is a puppy until about 2 years old).

[url]http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm[/url]

good luck and dont fret,
Joseph

That is a great article jweissg. I read that when I Scout started doing the same thing.

My dog went through the same phase and after about 4 months is finally coming out of it. I kept up his training and we would practice his recall all the time. He was still naughty and would totally ignore me even though he knew exactly what I wanted.

It is probably just a phase. Within the last few weeks Scout has started listening perfectly. I sure yours will do the same thing.

Guest Anonymous

great advice given already...
but i also have to add that poms are stubborn.. lol
i've had stryker for almost 4 months now and he still wont come and do his commands.. and he gets worked with throught out the day EVERYDAY

Conner is about 7 1/2 months. Going by that article, it probably is just a phase. Although he does listen very well... when you have treats on hand that is. :lol:

I love the idea of keeping him on the leash, but my mom's just not going to accept that. :roll:

How exactly does that work anyway? Theres no way I can possibly hold the leash every second of the day, doesn't he get to come off it sometimes? :niewiem:

Oh how I wish we did the same with Carson as we did Mocha. We had her on a leash for the first week or so that we had her. Then she learned that looking at us was good, and following us, and paying attention to us.. all of that was good. Basically, humans = treats. Now, with Carson, my dad thought it would be good to confine him to one room, then the downstairs, then the whole house. Urgh.. now when we need him to pay attention, he doesnt at all...

Anywho, I like the leash idea, and it also helps tons with bonding. Good luck!

Hmm, that may be a problem. Conner doesn't like to wear his leash very much, he chews on it if hes wearing it. If he had to run around with it on all day he would probably end up chewing it right in half.

Are there any chew-resistent leashes available? I think I saw one in the store once, but I can't really remember.

Well, just asked my mom about the leash thing, heres what she said.

"Omg, no way thats going to work. I don't think so." :roll:

She's ridiculous. Anything that involves a dog being on a leash/chain she is totally against. :x

So, I'll try this by myself, make sure I have it first though. You have the dog leashed all of the time, and your suposed to have them come to you at various times during the day? If thats all there is to it, I think I can handle it. :wink:

I'm pretty stern with Conner. But right now,[b] everything [/b] is a big game. "Catch me if you can" is definetly one of his favorites. And as it turns out, I can't catch him. :lol:

I'll keep working with him. He can, and does get on my nerves, but I just think of how he'll eventually be - Obiedient. (Hopefully that is...)

it doesnt have to be a regular leash...get a short metal tie out and use that instead. unless your pom has super teeth, he wont be able to chew through it. attach it to our waist while you're in the house, keep it at no more than 6 feet, and when you get up and move you say "come" and then he has to follow because he's attached to you. treat him when he does this of his own volition, after he gets used to the idea. also, get a longer one...(say 25 ft or so) and do the same thing outside. let him wander off, then call him back. if he comes willingly, treat him. if not, gently coax coax him back with the lead. he needs to learn that instant obedience means a treat. if you have to tug him to get him back, no treat.
do not make this a game of wills (dont yank if he wont come, and dont pull if he stands his ground) but make him feel that coming to YOU is the best thing in the whole world. he'll get treats (good ones, this is the most important lesson of all) lots of praise in a high pitched voice, and petting.
belly rubs, whatever he likes best. this is one command you cannot afford to not enforce.

good luck. he may very well grow out of it, but I would still do the training and keep him leashed or on a lead until he does.

8)

Guest Anonymous

pom,

make sure you dont fall into the trap of making disobedience fun for your dog. if she runs from you, dont chase her. poms are known to be stubborn, yes. Stubborn in all aspects, including loyalty. The worse thing in the world that you can do to him is to "divorce him from the pack."

next time he gets in the "catch me if you can" mood. Approach him, when he runs, say his name harshly and get him to look at you. Turn your back to him and walk away. (this is all assuming that he is in no danger of harming himself.) it may take 2-3 mins, but he will come to you and want back into the pack. the more you do it, the more you let him know that this is not behavior that will be tolerated by the pack.

I like this method for a lot of little obedience issues. I have used it when my boy gets into the mood where he barks at me and wont "shhh." without yelling or anything, I just turn away from him. i have been doing it consistently enough that sometimes "shhh" gets him quiet and he will instantly stop when I turn away.

I would use this before teathering him to you, or maybe in conjunction with the two.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Joseph