Dogomania

1 year old & still no heat. Should I be worried?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Come to florida and wait for a hurricane.
Moogle's a purebred, but since Kari's parents took her, they never got her fixed, until after her first heat. If she was living with us, it would've been done a lot sooner. But we knew it was coming on cause her nipples and privates got very big. Then the hurricane hit us and she went into heat. After that they finally got her fixed and then whined about having to spend 80$ on it. She was only about 8 or 9 months old at the time too.

If you are going to breed or show the dog you should know enough to 1) talk to your vet first and 2) know the breed well enough to know whether this is normal for her breed, ie most large breed dogs mature very slowly and may not come into season until they are 1, maybe even 18 months.
If you are not going to breed or show the dog you should have had her spayed six months ago.
I apologize in advance if I sound angry or upset, but this kind of thing really ticks me off.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

OMG. How you all think the worst (and I'm not just talking about this ONE thread)! I have spoken to our vet several times about this. And yes, I know about the breed. In my experience, a first heat has happened before this. Time has passed and she still has yet to come into heat. The vet said to give her 3 more months. Oh yeah, since ya all think the worst, I should tell you I have no plans to breed her on her first heat.

Here's the thing, darling. You did not say that you had talked to your vet several times about this in your initial post, nor did you mention your experience with the breed, or even what breed she is. If you don't want so many questions asked, how about giving us more information out of the gate?