Dogomania

3rd Eyelid Flap/Conjunctival surgery

treizi

I actually posted this on another forum I frequent but I believe some of the members here deal with this medical stuff much more than myself :-?
A little history (long post sorry)
Not too long ago, my Papillon Koda was having some swelling in one of his eyes which we believed was a typical eye infection. After visiting the vet, it turned out that he somehow hit his eye on something and the vet suggested doing a third eyelid flap surgery on him because of how quickly the swelling developed. The vet used a liquid to stain the eye, and we were able to see a dot on his eye that was only the size of a pinpoint.
I'm not too good with "vet talk" but essentially I believe they pulled the skin under the eyelid and sewed it to the top of the eye, allowing the eye to be covered to heal.
Well once the stitches came out, he still had not healed, so off to another more extensive surgery--Conjunctival Flap (or so it is called on my bill)
From what I understand, healthy tissue is placed over the eye to allow more blood to go to the eye to enhance healing since I guess eyes don't like to heal like skin and bone.

Well my question is has anyone else ever been through a procedure like this, or are familiar with it? I've never had an animal have to go through any type of surgery before, and it isn't great not understanding what is going on and not being able to do anything for Koda except wait and hope this procedure works. Before I got Koda, I wasn't familiar with the vets in the area because I haven't owned a pet since I moved out here. I'm trusting the vet, since I've heard very good things about him from other pet owners in the area, but it's still hard seeing what originally looked like a puffy eye, turn into some extensive vet bills. Any feedback/info. on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Conjunctiva is the membrane that actucally covers the white part of the eye. The white part by itself is called the sclera.

A conjunctival flap is made to help in the healing process by creating a band-aid on the cornea. It does nothing to feed it or give it nutrients.

The cornea regenerates by itself. VERY quickly. If there is a healing issue, then you need to get a second opinion. Something is not right.

Did they tell you exactacally what she had wrong with her eye?

The first surgery was where I believe they pulled the "flap" over the eye to create a covering to help it heal. Once the stiches were removed though, the eye apparently had actually seemed to get worse. A florescent stain was used originally done which enabeled the vet to see the pinpoint in the eye that was causing the swelling. I wasn't aware of any occassion where he was hit in the eye region and only figured I'd have the vet take a look at him once I saw some swelling around the eye.
But once the stiches were removed, a second stain was done, and apparently the pinpoint had gotten larger (I wasn't there to see it this time). The vet decided to do the 2nd surgery at this point--He had mentioned this surgery before the 1st as being more extensive than the flap but the flap is supposed to solve the problem in most cases. Rather than having the skin sewn up to cover the eye, tissue was placed in the spot where the damage was done to the eye. I go back in on the 3rd for a 2 week checkup and 2 weeks after that is when we should expect to have the tissue from the eye removed. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what other alternatives there are and I'll probably have to seek out a 2nd opinion. I apologize if this doesn't make sense and I can try to clarify the best I can. Thanks for the reply, it seems like a waiting point right now though :(