Dogomania

how to get a dog to LOVE the car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, I have been working with my now 3 month old pup as far as car rides go.

he does not seem to like the car. I am in construction and I plan to take him with me everywhere as soon as he is trained enough, so I would really like him to be excited about the car.

I take him in the car about 4-7 times per week. Sometimes the trips are 10 mins sometimes they are 30 mins. They usually do not extend beyond 30 mins. When he gets in the car, he doesnt whine or anything. He just sits with his head hung low. he will not really take treats in the car either, so I am stuck just praising him and making a big fuss. He will get out of the car on his own, but he puts on the brakes when we get close to the passenger side door ( i always make him get in and out of the passenget side).

95% of the times we get in the car, we go somewhere fun. I have only taken him to the vet for his puppy shots, everyother time has been to play or to go to puppy school/OB.

like i said, he doesnt whine, but he does not like the ride. eventually, I would like to have him trained so that i can tell him to "load up" and he jumps in.

I have two thoughts. my truck is diesel, so its loud. also, he cannot see out of the windows (maybe he does not like the sensation of moving without being able to see?).

any ideas besides the treat thing? Oh yeah, I have also tried running and jumping into the backseat while making a big deal out of it. all that happened was that i hit my head on the ceiling and he looked at me like i was an idiot(and I was).

thanks for the help!
Joseph

I think you've got the right idea with what your doing now. Taking him to fun places, and trying to make the car ride enjoyable by giving treats & praise is about all you can do. Although, if he does like to see out the windows, possibly try putting some phonebooks, or a step-stool on the seat, so he's able to see out. That might help a bit.

I have a quick question while we are on the subject of carides myself, though. Do you know how to prevent puppies from throwing up in the car? My pup gets very sick when he takes "trips", and while I want to take him everywhere, and make sure he gets well socialized, I can't with this problem. If you have any advice on that, please let me know. The vet said he should just "grow out of it", but hes been in the car on several occasions, and he is still having trouble. :(

[quote]Oh yeah, I have also tried running and jumping into the backseat while making a big deal out of it. all that happened was that i hit my head on the ceiling and he looked at me like i was an idiot(and I was). [/quote]

ROFLMAO! That sounds like something I would do!

But it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Maybe it'll just take him a little longer than it takes some other dogs to get to enjoy car rides.

Maybe he feels insecure in the car. You could try one of those doggie car booster seats. Something like this:

[img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/petmarket_1837_59504464[/img]

I don't know what kind of dog you have but probably he'll grow out of it. You would just use it to get him more comfortable in the car.

Guest Anonymous

i have had a couple of thoughts about the car sickness. i guess that just because my pup doesnt throw up doesnt mean he doesnt feel bad.

you can use a lot of children's medications on dogs. i am gunna ask my vet about dramamine today. I will let yalll know what he says!

I have also thought about that car seat idea. where do you get them? I am a little hesitant to pay a lot for one considering that he is 3.5 months and about 45 lbs. he has been puttin on about 4 lbs a week, so he would outgrow a small one very quickly. I may try to rig something up myself and see how it works.

joseph

I'm wondering if perhaps you are making too big a deal of it for the dog to be comfortable. I mean, he may just be wondering WHY the car is such a big deal.

If it were mine, I'd probably just try being really matter of fact about it for just a bit. Still perky and cheerful, it's still a good thing (a ride), but maybe drop the pleading, cajoling and negotiating. Just load him up and off you go without any drama or antics about it. If possible, get him on a routine. Once a day, whatever time is convenient for you on a daily basis, load him into the car and take a ride around the block or where ever. I'd work it into part of his daily routine, just one of those things that "happens" every day. He may become more comfortable with it if there isn't so much drama attached to it and if it becomes part of a routine.

Just something to try. If it doesn't help, it can't hurt.

Toby is pretty freaked by things and the car is a biggie. He didn't throw up but he did slobber everywhere. The vet said he would get over it after a few trips in the car. He looked so sad when I got him out of the car I don't know if I could put him through it again. There is motionsickness medications for dogs. If it was an extreme problem I would say go that route, but yours doesn't sound so bad.

I think you may be making to big of a deal out of it and the dog is just overwhelmed. He doesn't understand why it is such big deal to you and therefore doesn't know how to react. He is probably more comfortable that you think he is, he is just confused as to what you want from him. Tone it down and just say good boy on his way in and out of the car. A quick pat on the head and let it go. He will figure it out. I would obstain from trying treats in the car as they might make him sick if his tummy is upset.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']I'm wondering if perhaps you are making too big a deal of it for the dog to be comfortable. I mean, he may just be wondering WHY the car is such a big deal.

If it were mine, I'd probably just try being really matter of fact about it for just a bit. Still perky and cheerful, it's still a good thing (a ride), but maybe drop the pleading, cajoling and negotiating. Just load him up and off you go without any drama or antics about it. If possible, get him on a routine. Once a day, whatever time is convenient for you on a daily basis, load him into the car and take a ride around the block or where ever. I'd work it into part of his daily routine, just one of those things that "happens" every day. He may become more comfortable with it if there isn't so much drama attached to it and if it becomes part of a routine.

Just something to try. If it doesn't help, it can't hurt.[/quote]
Excellent advice HF. You took the words right out of my mouth. When uit comes to training, my advice is less is more.
Joe, just take your pup for car rides as though they were nothing out of the ordinary. No treats, and little if any praise. If you are praising, cajoling, or giving treats, you might just be re-inforcing that the car ride is something bad, something special, etc.
It sounds like he is car sick. Not a big deal though, many pups get car sick. When my Akita was a puppy, it was pretty much guaranteed that she would puke in the car, whether it was for 2 blocks or 50 miles. She outgrew it at around 1 year old.
With time your dog will change, and before you know it he will be leaping into the car begging to go someplace. Also, I would not medicate a puppy for this. He will outgrow it, give him some time.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all the tips. I am going to try just letting him sit in the car without it running and see how that works and i am not gunna make as big a deal about it.

anyway, went to the vet today for rabies vaccination. Ares is 3.5 months old and weighs 42 lbs. I know that is a little heavy, but I keep him thin. He must be "big boned." The vet says he is a very healthy pup and to keep doin what I am doin.

after the vet, we went to the park to play/train a little, so here are some pictures.

Joseph

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da38b3127cce91199abc660e00000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da38b3127cce9119986566d600000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da38b3127cce91199124a73b00000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Both my dogs love car rides. Moogle (a corgi), had to do her little boost up. Generally she'd sit on Kari's lap and look out the window. Kiani (sammy) came car broken from the pound. The day we got her, we opened up the door, she jumped in, sat on the seat and just sat there the entire ride. Now that we have the truck (ford ranger extended cab), we open the little window on the back, and she likes to stick her head out it (occasionally trying to stand out the window when she's really happy). The back end is her spot.
But it might be a motion sickness. I even get it when I can't see out the window. Just give him time, almost ever dog will eventually come to love the feel of the wind in their face.

• 3 years later...

Just read this ;)

If you[B] travel by car[/B], make sure your pet is comfortable in its [B]kennel [/B]and don't forget to put a [B]comfortable blanket and a toy[/B] inside. Small animals can travel in kennels secured in the car. Prepare a [B]First Aid kit[/B], with some cotton and alcohol in case your pet gets injured. Also [B]get the phone of a vet [/B]in the place where you are traveling to.
Pets tend to [B]drink [/B]a lot more when they travel, so make sure to give them water periodically. [B]Never leave your pet unattended inside the car[/B]. Heat may cause dehydration and even death.

It's all in this site: petslovershotels (.com)

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

in response to pomeranians question about the puppy throwing up in the car, my dads shitzu had this problem the vet told my dad to give him the ginger based gravol that you buy for kids because it is all natural and safe for dogs and prevents upset tummies. my dad tried it and it worked right away now his pup loves the car

• 2 weeks later...