Dogomania

Dogs "hitting" and other warning behaviors

Seijun

Shilo has just started her spring molt, which means LOTS of brushing--she hates to be brushed, mostly because she hates to hold still. Anyway, today she was rolled over her back while I was trying to brush her front leg and I could tell she didn

Free has hit on me a few times, for things she didnt like, like getting her nails clipped. Laurel hit on Kyle once, because she was sleeping and he startled her awake badly. she grabbed his hand and then let go immediately. his hand was red, but uninjured. the dogs and cats do it to each other as well.

its just a warning gesture, as I explained to Kyle.if she had wanted to damage you, she could have easily. she could remove fingers if she wanted to....both of them could.

Kavik is usually fairly tolerant and doesn't react much beyond supersquirminess. If he gets very frustrated he growls in a nasty way or sometimes even shows his teeth and then runs away with his tail tucked. My brother gets quite annoyed when he does this but I'm not sure how to take it. He has to be able to express when he really doesn't like something somehow.

Guest Mutts4Me

Huskies hold and hit in the grooming salon. Lots of times, owners will even tell me that their dog "plays a game" where they put your hand in their mouth. It's like, that's great, it's a game. So basically, you thought it was cute when they were puppies and never taught them it wasn't proper to show their teeth, not to mention USE them.

The huskies do hit, too, but the best example I have of "hitting" comes from a Labrador I've done a few times. Very polite, but when I cut a nail, she'll "hit" me with her teeth. Holding her feet is fine, and putting the clippers around her nail is, too, but once I squeeze, I get "hit." Last time I ended up not even cutting her nails because she was being more sensitive than usual, and she's too old to stress out with a muzzle. The owners understood, though.

Sasha does not use or show teether towards humans. She shows her teeth and occasionally nips at the cats if they pester her, but she's never shown them to us.

I have only ever experianced this once with my dogs, and this was with my dog Toby.. but I was really my fault, I moved my body inbetween a dog fight, even though I know I'm not supose to. He hit on my wrist and bumped me aside at first I didn't know what to think of it until I looked into it a bit more. Other then that none of my dogs have ever done that to me, but I have seen them do that to each other from time to time.