Dogomania

Laurel is going blind....

courtnek

and they cant stop it. she has acted weird for a while...its a thing that sometimes happens to hounds who were hunted. her eyes were somehow
damaged, and will eventually fail. I am looking into a second opinion, but I knew here eyes had issues..

what pissed me off was that they said "she will never hunt again" like I CARE!!! and that I should find a rescue group to take care of her...

I yelled NOT GONNA HAPPEN and the lead vet said I should shut up...

and I said SHE'S MY DOG. I WONT SHUT UP!!

and he said "then you'll have to deal with it. "I WILL. THANK YOU. WHEN I WANT YOUR OPINION I'LL *ASK*...

I dont like him..and the lady vet doesnt either. she said she will help me with whatever I need..I know I can trust her.

:o :o

it will happen gradually over time, but she will end up blind...shes a scent hound, it wont impact her too badly.my house is so small that moving th furniture is not an option. she'll be fine. I only noticed it because Free is a
healer dog...she wants everything right. she has been licking Laurels eyes like she licked her ears when they were infected...

when I saw that, I did eye recognition tests, she failed.

I'm very sorry to hear that. :( Especially that rude vet's reaction!

It is sad that she will lose her sight, but dogs don't depend on it nearly as much as we do, and she'll still have a good quality of life without it.

Do you think Free will realize when she cannot see and help to guide her? I've seen stories of dogs doing this before, guide dogs for blind dogs...

Best wishes. :angel:

Guest Anonymous

so sorry to hear about Laurel and her eye sight. but she has the best home we all know you';ll take great care of her and if i were you i would have told the vet to shove it up his @$$

Guest Anonymous

She'll cope just well without seeing. Although you'll notice some particular behaviors, like walking along the walls. Moogle is almost if not completely blind. She nows where everything is in the house, and when she's let outside, she walk along the wall till she reaches the end of the house, then walk towards the swing and out onto the grass, and will follow her exact steps back into the house. She's had a couple accidents of falling into the pool, so she avoids it. She knows where the furniture is, and will trip over anything that shouldn't be in the middle of the floor, including me and kari. She's got Daisy to help her out though too, she follows her where ever she goes. Because your dog is a scent dog, it will follow Free around, like running to the door to greet some one, and already knows where the furniture is. It won't be long before she knows the exact steps it takes to get from point A to point B.

*Hugs* Laurel and Court! I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening. I know it happens gradualy but about how long until she's completely blind?

BTW I would B**** slapped that vet across the face! Cinco has a tiny bit of seperation anexiety do I get rid of him for chewing his rug in the crate? Hell NO! If that was my vet I would've just took my dogs and left.

I'm sorry for you and Laurel, mostly about the jerk vet tech.
Many dogs do just fine after loosing their sight, with Laurel being a scent hound I hope that helps it go as smoothly as possible for her and you.
I remember you mentioning your suspicions about her sight very early on and wondering if that has something to do with her difficulty accepting (Justin?) early on. She is lucky to be with someone so caring and aware.

she was diagnosed originally with bad peripheral vision...so we just learned to not approach her from the side without a verbal Hey! hows it going?

but it is getting worse. closing in from peripheral, and starting to affect frontal vision as well..its funny some of you mention Free. At first she
was only barely accepting Laurel, until the ear infections. she got to clean, she was happy. (if I could teach that dog to clean the house I'd have it made. she licks my feet if they're dirty, my sweater, my clothes, no mud is allowed. no cuts, bruises ot skins can get past her. even a ZIT will make her want to lick it! whats with that? my son is a teenager, she drives him nuts trying to lick his occasional pimple clean...)

she is being very understanding. she stands back and lets Laurel out first
then nudges her into the yard. she can still see somewhat, but Free seems to know there is a problem. I call them in, and Laurel runs up first
but Free stops her at the door and goes in first,so Laurel can follow her scent. I honestly think she knows....the furniture in here will never be moved, since its so small theres no where to move it to. I often wonder if this was meant to be? she was returned twice due to her fear...I wonder if this was part of it...losing your vision, even in a scent hound, must be weird since no one can explain it to her.

thank you all for all the good wishes. I dont like th lead vet, and ahvent for a long time, and if it wasnt that our arguing was upsetting Laurel I might just have smacked him. He told me I was being "irrational" in my responses. I said "you just told me to give up my dog!" he said "so you want to keep her although she will end up permanently blind?" and I said
WOULDNT YOU? or are you so callous you dump an imperfect animal at the first chance? thats when he stormed out and said "you're on your own then.."

the lady vet (who I adore) mouthed very quietly "feel lucky you dont have to WORK for the jerkwad...." and I just CRACKED UP.

She will help me, whether he approves or not. she's done so on a number of other issues all along. we keep them "underwraps"

:)

I'm sorry to hear about this court, but at the same time glad that Laurel is with you, as I know she'll still have a great life. She really is lucky to have found such a home, as I know her fate wouldn't be the same if she were still hunting. Good luck with her.

That vet is in the wrong line of work! He obviously does not give much thought to the bond between animal and human. I guess he would tell me to pack Jesse of to rescue because he's old and physically failing?
Sorry to hear of Laurels impending blindness, but I know she is in the BEST POSSIBLE home. You love her, you will care for her, and Free will help.

Why did that Vet assume you used Laurel for hunting ??
That's the part I don't get.....
And for a Vet to advise someone to get rid of their dog because it will evenutally be blind is totally unprofessional.
That guy does sound like a total A** and I don't think I'd continue at that practice.......but it sounds like you have a good repoire with the lady Vet.
Good luck Court to both you and Laurel....... :wink:

Laurel was a hunting hound before I got her. I dont understand the specifics, but the lead vet (who is good at diagnosis but bad at bedside manner) said he has seen it before in hound dogs. maybe a nourishment problem, or maybe because her eyes run through heavy brush? she has scars on her from thorns, and other dogs, and heavy brush...

*sigh* he just pissed me off so bad.....

Free is helping out. she's a healer, and doesnt like anything out of place.
with her people, the cats and Laurel....

I am teaching her "blind dog" commands, for the eventual outcome. she now comes in (on NILIF) and looks for her treat before obeying a command. I am now teaching her smell/sit. smell/laydown/ etc. I hold the treat out, and let her smell it, or her dinner. the tell her to do the command, and she does. its taken a bit, she doesnt understand the additional "smell" command. but she's learning. she's a smart dog. If I had had her from a puppy, theres no telling what she could have done.

right now they are both on NILIF..which I live by for top dog control purposes. she sees the treat, and obeys the command, whether it be dinner, or going out, they both have to DO something for priveledges.,

I am breaking her into smell/treat..she is not blind yet, but will be. my command are now smell/sit...where I hold out a treat, or dinner, or open the door. opening the door is smell/out. I am hoping to train her early, so that when she is completely blind she will respond to these commands...

is this bad? does anyone with a blind dog have suggestions? please?

I WILL NOT give her up!!!!