Dogomania

abuse concern

Baileysmom

Ok - in another thread I think I mentioned how Im watching my moms friends beagle once a week to help wear both him and Bailey out (and get him out of his crate- he is crated all day 3 days a week, 2 he does go to doggie daycare)

the whole story is very long, (I posted about some concerns when she first got Rupert and talked about debarking him.....) the ladys husband isnt a dog person, infact he's a neat freak and a dog is jsut too messy and hyper for him. several times he has told her he has to go, and the last time she found him a home and at the last minute the husband said no he's not going anywhere. (sound a little familiar DO?) anyway- he made it clear though, that he is her dog and he wont have anything to do with him. :roll:

fast forward to today...... I picked him up this morning and brought him home - it was the first time he met my husband and he was terrified :(
I thought it was a little strange since he hadnt reacted that way to anyone else he had met (only women and kids with me)

this afternoon I took him home and "dad" was there and the first thing Rupert did was bay at him! (and he didnt sound happy) I put him in his crate (he has to stay there til she gets home :( )

I left there with this nagging feeling that his fear of my husband and baying at his "dad" were connected...... Im worried he may be abusing Rupert :cry: maybe not physically, but atleast mistreating him (yelling)

what do you take from the whole thing? what shoudl I do??

by "baying" I'm assuming he's a hound. hounds are very gentle creatures, in some just a nasty look will send them off with tail between legs...my hound still bays at my son, because he wont take the time to show her he's not a monster. her husband may be the same way, not abusive, but not encouraging either. if you dont see signs of abuse I wouldnt assume that. its a hound thing. they are very sensitive animals, more so than most dogs, and sometimes men just dont understand that. they usually have their pack to rely on....they know their place. baying at a male is usually just a way of relating....their hunt master expects them to bay in greeting and during the hunt. it would be better if he would relate to the dog, but if not, baying is to be expected. both in self defense, and in greeting.

Thanks - yes he is a beagle, about 10 mo old now. that was the first time I have ever heard him bay though.

I have known this guy almost all my life, and I really dont see that he could "abuse" him, atleast not in the physical sense - but that fact that Rupert was so scared of my husband too worried me. they have had him since he was 6-8 wks old so the fear is probably not coming from anyone else. I didnt know that beagles were that sesitive, so that helps atleast.

when rupert was very young, (the first time the wife was told to "get rid of him") she asked me to take him and I said no because I had the fosters who had gone through parvo.....
now Im wondering if I shoudl consider it if it comes up again :-?

its not just beagles, its scent hounds in general...their noses, and ears, help them to do their job, but it works against them in a home. they hear and smell and intuit better than we do. they are very sensitive, bred that way to "read" the huntmasters every wish. most huntmasters treat them as "assets", not pets. they live in a kennel with other dogs, who do the
"loving" part with them. so its kinda hard for them to adapt to a hojme, especially when one member makes them feel they arent performing up to par...

my hound was very scared of me in the beginning. I learned to be gentler
with her, lower my voice and not yell (yelling at Free is the only way to get thru to her sometimes) and she responds. My son does not understand that at all.

Guest Anonymous

if the opertunity comes up again.. i would take him! sounds liek he'd be much better off with you guys anyways! and he'd have Bailey to play with