Dogomania

couple questions in one

Baileysmom

Ok - so we had our first city beagle meet up this weekend...... when we first arrived we walked up the other few people and doggies all on leashes and Bailey started barking her head off :roll: She is awful (scared, etc) when she is on leash meeting dogs (she is great every time we go to the off leash dog parks though) I know our obedience instructor said this is totally normal becasue she feels she has no control and it intensifies her fear. We took all the dogs into a tennis court area and let them off leash to run around and play and they did great - in fact Bailey was the most playful of all of them and not at all agressive or scared (with the dogs)

My first question is, how can I get her to not be so scared/agresssive acting when meeting dogs on leash? (the others werent like that)

My other question is how can I get her to not be so timid around people? when she is off leash she does great with the dogs and will approach a person (albeit cautiously) but when they reach out to her (even slowly) she backs away :-? is having them offer treats the best way? or how should I be goign about helping her be more comfortable??

It was clear when we adopted her that she was not well socialized at all before that, though we have no idea of her actual situation. We adopted her at 8 mo almost a year ago. she has gotten much better, especially with dogs, but what else should I be doing? should I purposely put her in certain situations ? is it possible that she will ever be "outgoing" or even comfortable?? I would love to get her into therapy some day (thats something I have always wanted to do) but Im wondering if thats even possible to get her comfortable enough to something like that :(

sorry for rambling :roll:

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the same boat, Kiani is afraid of the public, but is in heaven when she sees the dog park. She'll come up to say hi, but never long enough to be petted in her running around to get to know every one.
When ever I'm out in public though, and some one would like to take the time to say to her, I'll crouch down next to her and hold her collar, and talk to her also, while the stranger is petting her. It makes her a little more comfortable. She likes children and will tolerate them to any extent (patting on the head, playing with her bushy tail), but if its an adult she'll stand with her tail between her legs or sit down right beside me.