Dogomania

Monster in the fireplace redux!

eric

It happened again, two days after the first incident!

My wife and I got home the other day about the same time. Let the dogs out, chat for a bit, let the dogs back in. I head to the bedroom to get changed. I come back and Zeke is staring into the fireplace.

"Great", I think "another one". I crouch down next to Zeke and we're both peering into the fireplace, side by each. Nothing, completely empty.

Figuring the bird might actually be sitting on the stone baffle above, I gingerly open the door, reach in with my hand and give it a shove to try and startle any would be birds. Nothing. No flapping, scraching, nothing.

In the meantime, this has caused a bunch of ashes to drop out and onto the surround in front of the fireplace. Satisfied that there is no bird, I fully open the doors and get up to grab the brush and shovel from the fireplace kit.

Next thing I know, there's screaming (my wife), barking (Riley), running (Zeke after the bird, Travis out of the room) as the bird explodes out of the fireplace, goes right for the front door and smacks into the window and crashes to the floor.

Zeke tears over while I'm yelling "Zeke! Zeke! Off! Off! Off!". Zeke actually manages to somehow restrain himself as he reaches the bird. As I'm running over, the bird takes off again, this time back to the livingroom only to smash into another window and drunkenly flutter down, Zeke in how pursuit.

"Off! Off!" again, although this time I manage to grab the bird. I sit down for a sec to recover from all this excitement. The dogs all gather around for the now ritual Sniffing of the Bird, except this time Zeke tries to bite the bird's head off. Luckily, I pulled the bird away as he went to do it so no damage.

It was another grackle. The poor bird kept trying to grab onto my finger with his feet, then finally grabbed one foot with the other, almost like a person with his hands locked together in prayer.

Took him outside, opened my hands and.....nothing. Didn't budge. Just lay there in my open hand. I nudged his tail a few times to no avail. I thought that I could unclasp his feet and set him on the railing, but he was not letting go. Finally, I did an up and down motion with him, which caused him to open his wings. A few more up and downs, he gave a couple flaps and then finally took off.

I hope it wasn't the same one as before.

[quote name='pollysmith']We had a bat come out of our chimney once. I'll take a bird anyday![/quote]

we had a raccoon...there were two fireplaces, one in the living room and one in the bar room. the raccon managed to get into the bar room one...
3 am and the dog is barking and we hear glass breaking, run downstairs,
the dog has the coon cornered on the bar, and its knocking bottles off left and right....hissiing and fluffed up.

my dad called animal control. they came out, made us leave the room, then went in and threw his jacket over it! picked it up, took it outside and let it go...now he was a big guy so it was a big jacket, but still...**I** coulda done that I think.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is hysterical! I can just picture it all. ROFL!

We had a family of racoons on top of the flue in our fireplace once (before I got Jackie and Maya). My parents and I put a radio inside the fireplace set to rap music at the highest level, along with a siren and flashing light. Then we ran outside so we could see when they left so my dad could put a cap on the fireplace. We sat outside for about 3 hours waiting for the racoons to leave, but I'm sure they left immediately when we turned on the radio and were long gone by the time we got outside. When my dad climbed up on the roof to peek in the fireplace, they were gone.

I was thinking about installing one of those. My fear is that one will get in during the weekend when we're at the cottage and spend a couple days locked in there.

[quote name='izzy']Eric you'll become an expert on catching birds inside your house, later you'll be able to do it with chinese sticks :lol:

What about putting a metallic web on your chimney?[/quote]