Dogomania

Help! My great dane attacking my shitzu

kingston

I'm not sure what to do. I've had them both sense they were puppies. They have been best buddies. (both males)

I have 9 dogs and one of the females went into heat and the great dane became very aggressive toward the other male shitzu... which made sense so I separated them. Now I have 4 puppies, the mother, great dane and shitzu the other two males (rottie and mix rottie) are kept separated in the other half of my yard.

The female gave birth again about 1 week ago. Her other puppies are about 5 to 6 months. Could the female puppies be going into heat? I don't see any signs. What else could be causing this sudden agression... it's been going on for 1 day.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Thanks for any advice.

Too many dogs, too many hormones and scents.

Definately spay and neuter the lot of them.

It will solve a myriad of problems. There could be dominant male/female issues, issues with a dominant male/female sensing a pup is not theirs and seeking to get rid of it to propagate own genetics and bring females into heat faster, problems with extra hormones causing animals to be be testy regardless of other animals.

Further spaying/neutering will protect your pets health and save you money in the long run. I know you have quite a few but you could do them one at a time over a period of time.

Do your dogs live inside?

This is not the first time this person has posted a thread very similar to this one. Check out this link. [url=http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?p=207951&highlight=#207951]I'm Having Major Problems[/url]

She still won't spay or neuter any of her dogs and is STILL breeding these dogs on purpose. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to help this person. :roll:

Great Dane mix vs. a shitzu?! :o
This is rediculous! I mean the shere size difference is gigantic!

And 2 litters of mutt puppies without having a single heat in the middle for the dog to rest?! This is just... Aarg! :evil:
And you have all the dogs in the YARD (not inside)?

You HAVE to get this... if you don't do something, someday you'll end up coming home and finding bodies. I'm not joking.

Firstly I say... you have WAY too many dogs. And if you have problems with your Great Dane I can pretty quickly draw the conclusion that you have problems with the rest too. If he has already attacked a Shitzu then atleast he Shitzu is pretty surely afraid of big dogs and fighting for his life.
I would suggest that you do this:

A. Spay/Neuter ALL your dogs. And don't even think about breeding that Great Dane of yours for money purpouses.
B. Even if it seems tough, find new good homes for at least a few of your dogs. If you're taking care of them alone, it's pretty much impossible to give them all the attention they need. They might end up fighting with eachother for your attention aswell. You haven't figured out that that might be re reason for your Great Dane mix escaping?

If you really care about your dogs the least you could do is to neuter/spay them ALL! I have neuterd one of my dogs for the only reason of preventing unwanted puppies and passing on his genes. I am going to breed my other dog - Bella this autumn/winter (depending on when she decides to have her next heat). When she gets a bit older and I'm sure I don't want to use her for breeding purpouses anymore I am going to spay her aswell to make sure she can have a long and happy (and healthy) retirement. So I'm not just talking about something that I don't know anything about.

[quote name='Pumpkin the musher']You said that the female had pups, then had pups again, and the first set are 5 or 6 months old. Correct me if I've misinterpreted, but that is impossible. After a female gives birth, she normally would not come into heat again that quickly. :icon_rock:[/quote]
It is possible... Ben's mommy had puppies exacly 6 months before she had the litter where Ben is from. (found out this way later after I got him)

Not only should you spay/neuter, you need to either rehome the Dane or the Shih Tzu or keep them separated. Permanently and always for the rest of their lives. Neutering an adult male does not always have the same "calming" effect that it does on a six month old pup. The Dane will most likely kill the Shih Tzu if given the chance, for no other reason than the immense size difference. Please take this very very seriously.

Okay, A person takes in a dog (Or other animal) to raise as a pet. This carries responsibilities. You should not have more pets then you can love and keep healthy, don't stick them out in a yard and let them breed and breed! You are being cruel to the animals. Find homes for some of them and they spay or neuter the ones you choose to keep.

Just because you live in Jamaica and there are "limited dog breeds" doesn't give you reason to breed-mix or NO mix.

I live in Bahrain.. and believe it or not it is WAY SMALLER than Jamaica. So that leaves even [i]less[/i] breeds for me to pick from. We mainly get GSDs, Salukis and small Shih Tzu type dogs. Please don't think I don't understand, because I do. I have a purebred Golden Retriever, with papers, which makes her all the more valuable in peoples eyes ( :roll: Silly people). You have NO IDEA, seriously NO IDEA how many times people have asked me to breed her. Just because my Goldie has papers! Get this, even her previous owner, when told that I was going to spay her, asked me to please re-consider because she was a pedigree! Now what did I do? [b]I made the responsible choice.[/b] I know for a fact that Rowie, although a GREAT companion, is not up to conformation standards. Heres a picture, does she look like a Golden that could win a dog show??
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgCpAvUWZXSS5*d!I61eP!WIP0zCqz2uQctkPXofTm4UHUizrrj!OAnYO6IwcHD8dA8DfMJKAAkdFYZu12iWTWtpmj6Fd1wK7V5JyFNIn9GpUE2QsZo4ag/DiGi%20CaM%20PiX3?dc=4675495017778594326[/img]
Secondly, I know nothing about breeding a dog, and by the looks of it, niether do you!! A responsible, knowledgble breeder would know what to do in a case like this, would notice the signs of puppies (6 months old my GOSH!) going into heat.. this post makes me SICK! Just spay your dogs, PLEASE!

And you mention that your dogs can bring in $300 US dollars right.. so that means your only breeding for money?

Actually I just came back from the Vet before reading this post.... my DSL has been down since I did the first post.

I took the female puppies in for spaying. I asked the Vet and they said that dogs have a first heat around 6 months which is "hidden", so they don't always have the visual signs... but anyway they checked the dogs and said they aren't in heat. I plan to get the others neutered to... so I'm not sure why everyone was thinking i wasn't getting my dogs fixed.

Also it's not as bad as it seems only 2 of the dogs are mine (Great Dane and Shitzu). I also have home for all the puppies and I have been able to pick and choose who gets the dogs because I have a list of people who want them. I haven't breed for money... I'm not even going to break even after getting them all their shots and spaying/neutering them. I've kept them so long b/c I wanted to make sure they had all their shots.

I was planning on spaying the female after she had the first set of puppies, however she went into to heat earlier than I was told she would go into heat. I was also out of town when she went into heat. The female is not my dog but my fiance's family's dog who I took in after she had the puppies so I could take care of them. This time I'm getting her spayed as soon as the vet says I can... they told me after 5 more weeks because she had puppies less than 2 weeks ago.

I take very good care of my dogs. I even have someone that lives on the property to help me take care of them.

I think there must be another female dog in the neighborhood that is in heat because the great dane is acting crazy. I realized after I posted this message that that must be the issue. Last time he was acting crazy like this it passed after a few days and they dogs became best friends again.

I appreciate those who wrote me without attacking me. I will be back down to 2 dogs soon.

I was just looking for some advice not a fight.

Here's the advice:

One, you said you separated you dogs on the "other side of the yard". That's not enough separation! Take the dogs inside, if you can, and put them into separate rooms.

Do this until you can fix all the dogs.

This has to be done. Do doubt about it.

Also, besides breeding unresponsibly, it sounds as if you have to many dogs.

(Is it me, or do I smell a t-r-o-l-l?

You guys are so smart... Really! Are you children?

I wasn't going to respond at all. Actually who is being the troll here????
Crested, Katty and pollysmith... it seems.

A troll is someone who tries to provoke an argument. When was I trying to argue. I even ignored direct attacks.

I came on the site for advice. This has been mostly a waste of time. I have learned a few things but I came on the site to get helpful advice and not get in some argument with people that act like children and have too much extra time on their hands.

I appreciate those who gave me sensible advice without attacking as I mentioned before. I have been using it for over 2 years.... but I will definately think twice before coming to this site again.

I think you guys need to remember why this forum exists. I believe it exists to help people and discuss dog topics... not to attack people and have a few people "rule" the forum.

I guess I could have just said "whatever :roll: "

You came to this site for advice did you not? And everyone gave you advice. Unforunately, you chose to ignore it. How do you expect people to react? :-? I only see a few negative comments here, the rest are very helpful. Please understand we are all hardcore dog lovers and will get sensative.