Dogomania

when does puppy biting stop???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ares is still biting. i have asked the trainer about it several times. I dont think that she really understands what I am saying. I know that he is a working breed and they tend to be mouthier, but im not sure how much mouthier....

its not hard biting, its just mouthiness, i know that. he does not mouth on me when we go hiking, to the store, etc. he doesnt do it much when we are anywhere else other than my room. he gets in these moods though, where anytime you touch him, he mouths on you.

I have tried the "AHHH, AHHH." I have tried putting him in timeout (in the bathroom, door closed). I have tried thumping him in his snout. It doesnt seem to be having a real effect.

When i say "AHHH, AHHH," he usually just continues on. Sometimes he will stop for a second and then start again. when I thump on his snout, he goes nuts. that just gets him going more and he mouths more after that. regardless of which one i do, i always put a toy in his mouth and say "good boy" when he has his toy, bone, etc. sometimes though, he will even drop the toy after i put it in his mouth and go back after my hands, feet, etc.

the timeout seemed to work for alittle bit, but then he started just entertaining himself in the bathroom.

i know he is 3 months old and teething, but he has literally dozens of toys. is it because he gets bored in my room? bored with his toys? I usually take him hiking in the AM until he wont hike anymore (30-45 mins tops) and then bring him home and let him sleep. then i take him out again in the PM to romp with a friends dog. should i be taking him out more?

my BIGGEST concern is that he is developing this as a habit that he will carry into adulthood. I can attribute some of the mouthiness to being a puppy, but at what age should i start to REALLY worry and take harder action against him? I am personally against the alpha roll, but do I need to do something like that?

How have yall dealt with the biting?

Thanks for the advice,

Joseph

What you could do is everytime your dogs teeth comes in contact with your skin say "OWW, NO NO." (Whether is hurts or not and do it in a ferm voice) and then stop playing right then and there. Or until he gets older only play with him with ropes or balls and such where his teeth will not touch you skin.

Stitch is 2 and 1/2 now and when I'm playing with him and his teeth touch my skin he backs off with me only saying OOWW. He will not even attempt to even play bit anymore.

Keep in mind this is a problem that may take a while to fix. After all you don't want him playing with a small child and have him continually biting for fun.

Another thing you can do it get a slim fast drink, make sure you drink it, rins the can out really good and Put 25 or so pennies in it, tape the top so the pennies will not come out and take the slimfast wrapping off so you just have a shinny can.

When ever the dog bits you give the can a little shake (They can't stand the noise). and make him go to time out. Also if the dog get up from time out make him go back untill you let him up.

six months, my friend! easily. (what breed is he? i am assuming a herding type?) anyway. don't worry, this is not behaviour that will continue into adulthood, i worried about that myself with taz.
some dogs need a firmer hand than others. what worked with taz was pressing my thumb firmly into his jaw, under his tongue, and saying [b]"NO".[/b]

Presa?

Get the shaker can or something, don't wait to see if he'll outgrow it.

Oh and offer alternatives to chewing on you. Kongs are awsome. I spent a fair amount of time with my boys taking things out of their mouth and saying "NO" sternly, waiting a second or two, and then replacing whatever they had with a kong - worked well.

This all comes from us thinking it so cute when they are babies and laughing at their mouthing & barking but as you are now finding it is not so cute as they get older.
You have got some very good advice from the group .Especially the one pretending you are hurt I found that worked well.
I hope you can stop it before someone outside the family takes it the wrong way. LOL
Ickle