Dogomania

red eyes...any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok, i posted under care as well, but then realized that this might be the better place.

I have a 3 month old presa canario. his lower eyelids get very red--not the eye, just the lower lid. the vet said it is conjunctiva and gave me drops. the drops help--but only a little. he also said i could try 12.5mg of benadryl, but it makes him sick to his stomach.

he doesnt itch his eyes, and the dont seem to bother him, but I want to "nip this in the bud" if you know what I mean.

i think the allergies are atopic--stuff in the air (like pollen, grass, etc.). I feed him raw and have so for a while, and the allergies only popped up recently, so its not the food. his eyelids look like the description of ectropy, but the vet said it wasnt that.

I bathe him about once every 7-10 days.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Joseph

Guest Anonymous

yeah, ill try to get a good one. I have tried a couple of times, and its hard to get it to show up in a picture.

can you see it in this one?

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da22b3127cce9158e9597bfc00000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

I will try to get some more...let me know if you can see it in that one.

Thanks,
Joseph

I know a lot of mastiff type dogs suffer from ectropion (where the lids turn out) just because of all of the facial skin.

And I know that since the conjunctiva is a mucus membrane, it can be affected by outside allergens and become inflamed.

I'm sure that you could use an OTC lubricant drop daily for him. I use them on my GSD because he gets reoccuring corneal ulcers.

Guest Anonymous

i have some drops i have been using. the work, kind of. the other problem is that it is a battle to put them in his eyes.

do you have any suggestions? how do you hold on to your dog?

thanks,
Joseph

I put him in a sit stay. But keep in mind, he's older (4 years). So we have more obedience behind us. This little man is still a puppy, so he's gonna wiggle at anything new.

I have had to hold down dogs before to use an eye wash. Basically just straddle them like you are riding a horse and hold their head against your chest. You will get a little wet in the process.

Are you using an anitbiotic drop? Or something over the counter?

Guest Anonymous

the vet gave me neomycin. I was thinking about trying some of those ointment type things, but I could not find one at walmart that did not have the "get the redness out" active ingredient which is bad for your eyes.

i also gave him .5mg of clemastine today, so we will see how that works