Dogomania

Hello again old friends

Crested

It's been a while, I know... I've been a "tiny bit" busy as I've moved to an apartment of my own with my two bundles of joy. :D
Plus that I got a place to work for the entire spring and summer before I get to school. And if I don't get accepted, then I guess I have to continue working in there (allthough I don't love it). :-?

Anyway... How have things gone over here? Give me all the gossips! :lol:

I guess I [i]could[/i] tell you a couple things regarding what I have mentioned before (my love for dogs & breeding).
I don't remember if I posted about this, but I got my kennel name in January so in the future there will be some Enigmatic hairless puppies around... And when it comes to puppies... Weeeeeell... Bella is going to be mated this autumn/spring after her knee- and eye examination with a Finnish and Norwegian Champion true hairless male who is also health checked. And I know you're going to ask about this so... I've done a little research on the future puppies pedigree and the inbreeding % in 8 generations is just a little bit over 1%. Not bad, huh?

Wow, things have gone fast... :roll: I quit school, got a job, applyed for a "nurse-school", got my kennel name, am planning on breeding Bella AND I moved away from home in 4 months. :shock: Didin't actually think things would turn out this way this fast.

Anyway... As you see... even if I don't post here as often as I did before... you CAN'T get rid of me entirely! :evilbat: Mwahahahahahaha! :lol:

Edit: Oh, nearly forgot... if you want to look at pics of Ben and Bella and the future dad, then go to [url]http://personal.inet.fi/koti/enigmatic/[/url]

[color=darkred]Hi Crested.

Its good to have you back hun :D
I see you have been busy, moving into an apartment with your doglets,
working.....now going to mate Bella (how sweet) :D
Loads of catching up to do here though[/color] :lol:

[b][color=darkred]CONGRATS[/color][/b] :angel:

Hey you!

I'm up to two CCs now as well. We have a new foster but I think we'll keep this little one. He's the agility prospect I have been looking for! Our last foster, Mister, found a great forever home with a wonderful couple who have a Great Dane and a Black Lab. The three get along famously!

I was going to put the link up for Pogo's pic....but I see that you have already seen him! LOL

Glad to know everything is doing well with your and your two little ones!

Don't be such a stranger!!

Guest Anonymous

welcome back! I am a newish member, but welcome back anyway.

this post spurned a question...it has to do with the inbreeding issue.

what do yall define as inbreeding? line breeding is a popular method and most mimics the way things have happened in the wild for years. brother and sister never mate, but father and daughter, grandfather and granddaughter, etc. is the norm. the alpha in the pack mates with the female that he feels is best suited. this female could be his daughter.

is that inbreeding? it seems like nature's way of preserving the "fittest" and ensuring consistency of breed.

What do yall think?

Joseph

Thank you all! :D

ObedienceGrrl: The first thing I did when I came here was to make a search with the word 'Crested' (as in Chinese Crested). ;) So ofcourse I saw Pogo's pic. He's such a looker!

jweissg: In nature there appears also mutations in the (wolf) puppies due to this inbreeding, but those puppies die because they don't have humans to try and keep them alive. They can't manage on their own so either the mother abandones the sick pup or he/she starves sooner or later.
So inbreeding is bad. And I try to use two dogs that are as far as possible from eachother when it comes to their pedigree.
Some people say that inbreeding is not so bad and that it's the only way to know exacly how good/bad your line of dogs is and I suppose it's right in some ways, but when you go too far you do get mutations.
Inbreeding and not inbreeding is a breeder's own decition. I've made this one and I prefer dogs that don't have a high inbreeding percent. Some might not care about this. That's their buissness.

...so this is my point of view on this. :D

Guest Anonymous

that is interesting. one would then hazard to say that breeders who support inbreeding or linebreeding also support letting nature take its course.

it may sound cruel, but the breeders who support inbreeding should then also support letting the individuals with "mutations" and problems that prevent them from being viable perish.

I wonder how many of these breeder are willing to forsake the $$$ and let some of their puppies go if they are not able to feed, etc.

interesting....

Thanks guys! :D

[quote name='jweissg']that is interesting. one would then hazard to say that breeders who support inbreeding or linebreeding also support letting nature take its course. [/quote]
I'm thinking of the genetic problems that occur with inbreeding. The surviving puppies then take these problems and pass them on to their possible offsprings. I don't want to produce sick puppies. That's the way I've decided to go with the "no inbreeding" policy. If someone else decides he/she wants to take that road - then it's his/her buissness. But I do feel sorry for the pups that possibly might get problems such as missing ear canals or dying.

[quote name='jweissg']it may sound cruel, but the breeders who support inbreeding should then also support letting the individuals with "mutations" and problems that prevent them from being viable perish. [/quote]
...and still... the remaining puppies pass this on to their potential offspring and the vicious circle has begun.

[quote name='jweissg']I wonder how many of these breeder are willing to forsake the $$$ and let some of their puppies go if they are not able to feed, etc.

interesting....[/quote]
I personally don't care about the money, I care about the wellbeeing of both my dam and my puppies. I will try and give each puppy the best chance at life and if this means hand feeding one or two if they fail to feed on their own for some reason, then so be it.
If I (god forbid) ever get in the decition of putting a pup to sleep because of some uncurable thing that makes it impossible for the pup to live a normal life, then I have to think hard what I'll do... I can't say it yet. That will be determined then. I hope I will never have to determine it though.

welcome back Crested!!! good to hear from you again!

as far as the inbreeding issue, yes, wolves do inbreed in the wild, but in most cases like was mentioned if the cubs cant survive on their own they are allowed to die. harsh, but necessary in a harsh life.

my take on inbreeding...I dont like it.Genetics is an iffy subject with some
people, but I feel that the smaller the gene pool, the more defects, diseases, temperament problems and generalhealth issues are going to be seen in future generations.

remember, the french and british royalty inbred to keep their lines pure,
and it caused bleeding issues, inabilty to stand sunlight, downs syndrome
type problems, a whole host of health issues until it was discovered why it was happening.

Guest Anonymous

Welcome back Crested!!!!! so glad to hear from you! congrats in all that has happend in the last 4 months!! dont be a stranger hun!

Haha! :lol:
Rowie: Then you've got no other alternative then to import a registerd* Chinese Crested pup from Finland. ;)
And then you just have to find another registed Crestie and have puppies. ;)

*) referring to the Great Dane attacking the Shitzu thing