Dogomania

Showdog Moms and Dads

kendalyn

That is without a doubt one of the strangest things I've ever seen. :o If you haven't seen it yet and want to be completely surprised, don't read further.

The show actually would be pretty good if they took 3 of the 5 couples off. The 3 that should be kicked off the show could have come straight out of that movie "Best in Show".

Although Kyra was kind of annoying, she has done an excellent job with Chalcy. I was pretty impressed!

Moira and Adam were good also. Moira is a bit over bearing with her son but has nice dogs and competes in Conformation, Agility and Obedience which is refreshing.

Brandon and Ryan need to find another hobby. And it was disturbing how their "trainer" made that puppy scream. I've trained dogs and never have they screamed like that. :(

Lourdes looked at her dog's sperm and was so moved that she actually started crying. That pretty much shot through the roof on the weirdness scale for me. I got pretty creeped out watching that fertility doctor ejaculate the dog as well. It was gross.

The husband and wife (I can't remember their names) were a little scary. The husband is an AKC judge and announced that dogs are like little people and should get whatever they want. :-?

I hope these people are not good representatives of most of the show world!

i didnt catch all of it..but from what i did say..it was different thats for sure :lol:

those people were the whippets were a lil..err..off? :lol: they treat their dogs [i]too much[/i] like humans, like they let em get away with everything and dont dicipline them, etc., and thats just asking for an alpha dog thats gonna bite someone.

i didnt see the gay couple..thank god..they didnt seem very bright about dogs....a lil too obsessed with dressing them up..but to each their own i reckon.

the lady with the GSD's was a lil overzelous? crying because her dog has alot of sperm :o :lol:

i didnt really get to see the lady with the weim either..

and the lady with the aussies was pretty cool..i like that she competes in alot of different stuff with her dogs..but i think she pushes her son a lil too much..he didnt seem like he enjoyed being a jr. handler very much :-?

At first I thought that the mom was a little bit too overbearing, but then I thought about all the football,baseball etc coaches I have seen coaching kids that age. They are way tougher on them. I did notice that before she told him what he did wrong that she did tell him that he did a good job.

The trainer for the gay couple's dog didn't seem to be doing anything to the dog to make him squeak, except not mollycoddling him like his owners do. Look at how much they baby those dogs, carrying them everywhere and dressing them up of course the dog is going to put up a struggle when someone tries to treat like him like a DOG and not a dress up doll.

I'll have to admit that I am very curious about the drama of next weeks episode. From the previews it looks like the dog in question is the dress up long haired Chi, but since reality shows always twist things who knows.

I missed the last fifteen minutes of it...but WHOA. :o

Some freaks are on that show! :lol: But seriously, those guys and the dogs? :( Poor little things. They are treated like little barbies. I was very suprised that a breeder would actually give them a dog. She must have been somewhat irrisponsible atleast, I can't think of anyone who had their dogs best interests at heart who would sell to someone who belived in dogs as dolls and only dolls. :roll:

As for the other people...the lady and son with the Assuies were actually, uh, normal. They seemed to be really great dog owners. But the German Shephard and Greyhound owners, weird! I didn't see the lady cry about the sperm, but I'll take your word for it. Greyhound people, I feel sorry for the dogs in a way, they have no structure, they are able to do what they please, as a couple others said. I think Chalcy was lucky, Kyra's a pretty awsome owner. :D

I think thats my thoughts on just about everyone on the show. I'll definetly be tuning in next week...I doubt I'll be as suprized then though...

some dog show people are certainly in a league of their own and I have to say that although American show handlers really do take the biscuit, you only have to look around Crufts to see that there are some weirdy British show handlers as well! If I ever get like that, someone can tell me to get a life! :o

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']he didnt seem like he enjoyed being a jr. handler very much[/quote]
All he cared about was who beat him. When he was disqualified in agility he just stood there and said, "Who beat me?" with the most sour expression. :roll:

[quote name='Hillside']The trainer for the gay couple's dog didn't seem to be doing anything to the dog to make him squeak, except not mollycoddling him like his owners do. [/quote]
I'm not even sure exactly what the trainer was doing at all. I think maybe he was trying to teach come? All he did was drag the poor thing around on a leash. But he must have done something to that puppy (it was probably an accident) because it didn't just squeak, it screamed and was aboslutely terrified! No trainer should have that effect on a puppy.

And I thought it was really weird when they whitened the puppies teeth. Do they realize that those teeth aren't permanent? And puppies teeth are white anyway. I've never seen a puppy with yellow teeth...

omigod, i thought those people were crazy!!!!!! you've got the whippet people who treat their dogs like babies and"never discipline them", you've got the gay guys who think it is a fashion show, you've got the awful overbearing stage mom with the aussies, you've got the woman with the weim who "can't tell you who she would rather be with, her husband or her dog" and you've got a woman who cries over sperm. Jesus! Talk about how NOT to be a good dog owner! :o

Oooh, I missed it! :x

I hadn't even heard of this show until you guys brought it up. I would love to see an episode...it seems pretty "interesting". Heh. I'm not a reality TV show kind of person, is it really that sort of atmosphere?

I have to confess that as soon as I heard one of the ladies had Australian Shepherds, it was a done deal. I love those dogs. Simply gorgeous is what they are! :loveu:

[quote name='kendalyn']I'm not even sure exactly what the trainer was doing at all. I think maybe he was trying to teach come? All he did was drag the poor thing around on a leash. But he must have done something to that puppy (it was probably an accident) because it didn't just squeak, it screamed and was aboslutely terrified! No trainer should have that effect on a puppy. [/quote]

He was dragging it because the couple carries the dog everywhere, it probably barely walks anywhere. I can't stand people who coddle their dogs like that. :roll: I don't think the trainer did anything to make the puppy scream. I've had puppies scream at me for just touching them (i'm a groomer), so I don't think it was the trainer's fault, accident or otherwise.

i thought the mother of that boy was just like a pagent mom. She was very hard on him, stressing him out. Weim mom was overly cheerful. Anyone going to catch the next episode where the weim gets hurt. I may. When my poodle was about 4 months old, I tried to introduce her to a boston terrier, I was holding her on my side of the fence. She screamed very simliar to that of the puppy on the show, maybe worse. I was totally shocked. I don't carry her always. Only if shopping in stores she is allowed. But she loves her walks and playing in our yard. Boy she is taking her time in wanting to be around other dogs. Its been slow. I think if I had signed up for puppy socilization class, she no doubt would have screamed and jumped on my lap. She got scared of another boston at the dog park. Its getting better though.

[quote name='newfiemom']I just got done watching the last half hour of the show. I did notice that the dog (owned by the two guys) had a prong on it when it was at the trainers. They only showed it for a split second but it was definetely a prong. I would definetely find a new trainer. No trainer should ever put a prong on a puppy.[/quote]

But the clips they showed of the dog squealing were when he was just on a harness.

With that being said, I agree with the no prong on a puppy comment. I remember taking a certain former member here to task because she was using a choker on a puppy. That sort of stuff really chaps my a$$. Though if someone was going to be jacka$$ enough to use a training collar on a pup, I'm somewhat glad that it was a prong and not a choke. ( If that makes any sense at all)

[quote name='ShatteringGlass']He was dragging it because the couple carries the dog everywhere, it probably barely walks anywhere. I can't stand people who coddle their dogs like that. I don't think the trainer did anything to make the puppy scream. I've had puppies scream at me for just touching them (i'm a groomer), so I don't think it was the trainer's fault, accident or otherwise.[/quote]

I don't care if that dog had never touched the ground in it's life. Training (especially for a puppy) should be fun and rewarding. It shouldn't be about being dragged around or feeling so scared that it has to try and warn the big mean trainer away by screaming. That puppy was terrified!

I think Brandon and Ryan were right to get a new trainer.

We also have to remember that we didn't see the whole training session. Reality tv is notorious for just showing the bits and pieces of situations. There very well could have been praise and proper training, it just might not have been shown. That being said, I don't think this dog has been very well socialized at all. I do also think, based on what I have seen, the trainer needs to be replaced, any trainer worth thier salt trains the OWNER to to train the dog. Does anyone know how old this pup is? I'd be able to guess if it was a larger breed, but age guesses on smaller breeds elude me.

[quote name='hillside']We also have to remember that we didn't see the whole training session. Reality tv is notorious for just showing the bits and pieces of situations. There very well could have been praise and proper training, it just might not have been shown. That being said, I don't think this dog has been very well socialized at all. I do also think, based on what I have seen, the trainer needs to be replaced, any trainer worth thier salt trains the OWNER to to train the dog. Does anyone know how old this pup is? I'd be able to guess if it was a larger breed, but age guesses on smaller breeds elude me.[/quote]

I was just thinking that, like what really happend? We obviously don't get to see everything that happend, because of such heavy editing. I think they edited the film to make a bad trainer look worse :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I dont know how many of you have experience handling very coddled toy breeds, but the screaming and throwing themselves around show is a very, very common evasive manuver. You are definitely right, that training should be fun. I was a little disapointed that the trainer wasnt using any bait to motivate the dog, but I dont think that that dog was being hurt in that instance.

Often times you have to let the dogs throw their mini-fit, give them no feedback, and when they are finished just continue on. Once they realize that it doesnt work it goes away. But they are definitely betting on that startle factor of you're hurting me! you're hurting me! to escape from whatever it is you want them to do.

I worked with an IG once whose owner had let her get away with such behavior because she felt terrible everytime the dog screamed. She effectively created a dog who screamed anytime you wanted it to do anything - even be pet when it didnt want to be, put its leash on, ANYTHING.

[quote name='ShatteringGlass'][quote name='hillside']We also have to remember that we didn't see the whole training session. Reality tv is notorious for just showing the bits and pieces of situations. There very well could have been praise and proper training, it just might not have been shown. That being said, I don't think this dog has been very well socialized at all. I do also think, based on what I have seen, the trainer needs to be replaced, any trainer worth thier salt trains the OWNER to to train the dog. Does anyone know how old this pup is? I'd be able to guess if it was a larger breed, but age guesses on smaller breeds elude me.[/quote]

I was just thinking that, like what really happend? We obviously don't get to see everything that happend, because of such heavy editing. I think they edited the film to make a bad trainer look worse :lol:[/quote]
we didn't get the progam over here- but they will edit to make interesting veiwing