Dogomania

Boy injured in attack by Rottweiler

Lucky Chaos

Toronto boy injured in attack by Rottweiler

[img]http://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/images/20050329/dog_attack050329/160_attack_victim_050329.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/images/20050329/dog_attack050329/160_dog_050329.jpg[/img]

An eight-year-old Toronto-area boy is recovering after having part of his ear torn off by a 120-pound Rottweiler-Labrador cross. The attack has some parents calling for an expansion to the province's pit bull ban.

The attack occurred Monday evening when a group of five or six kids in Woodbridge found the dog running free in the neighbourhood. They brought it into the backyard and called animal control officers to come pick him up.

As they waited, they played. One of the children threw a ball and the eight-year-old victim made an attempt to catch it. As he did, he was bitten on the leg by the dog and forced to the ground. The victim attempted to get away when the dog then bit him on the ear.

He was finally released from the dog's grasp and he ran into his home.

The dog is now with animal control in Aurora. He is under quarantine and being tested for rabies.

The boy had his ear and ankle stitched up and he's expected to be fine.

York Regional Police say they want to talk to the owner of the dog involved in the attack and are asking the public to help find the owner.

The attack has some parents in the neighbourhood calling for an expansion to the province's pit bull ban.

The Ontario government passed legislation banning new pit bulls in Ontario during a rare winter session early this month.

Under the law, pit bulls that are already here must be neutered. It also requires that the dogs are muzzled and leashed in public.

The law also sets hefty fines and jail terms for owners of dangerous dogs.

Now where were the parents while this kid was playing with a strange dog? And notice, they put "Rottweiler" in the headline, not Labrador or crossbreed. Parents want an extension on the ban? I bet they're not calling for Labradors to be banned!

Nice. People are always yammering on about training dogs, what about [b]TRAINING KIDS TO BEHAVE AROUND DOGS??????? [/b] [b]ESPECIALLY LARGE STRANGE DOGS!!!!!!!!!![/b]
And I hate how the generic term "pit bull" is always thrown around in these cases. I can't imagine what you owners of bully-type breeds, and also apparently Rottweilers, have to go through with this ignorance on the part of the general public, it is bs.

:( What's next ???? this will keep on going till they just don't allow dogs anymore. It's plain stupidity at it's best. :(
Did those kids call the Dog warden themselves to pick the dog up ???
I assume a parent made the call, why would an adult allow kids to be playing with a strange dog of any breed ??
A smart person would've contained the dog in their yard or garage till the warden got there.
I believe this is the fault of the owner for letting the dog run and the adults that let the kids play with it. :(

I rarely tell people that don't know me that Gretchen is a Lab/Rott X because of people's misconcieved notions.

Why the heck were these children playing catch infront of a huge mixed breed dog?

Is it not going to be tempting for the dog to run after the child and get the ball?

Where are the parents?

Why would they let their kids bring home a dog they randomly found? Probably with little to no information on how the children came across the dog...

How is the dog being blamed entirely for this whole thing?

Now that all of those questions are off my chest, I've got to say that this really hits home with me. K is a Labrador mix and often I have thought she was mixed with Rottie. This dog has a similar face to my baby and I just can't bear the thought of anything bad happening to the little thing. :(

I don't know what else to say...

[quote name='Michele']what about a ban against ingorant people?????[/quote]

[quote]Why the heck were these children playing catch infront of a huge mixed breed dog?

Is it not going to be tempting for the dog to run after the child and get the ball?

Where are the parents?[/quote]

[quote]People are always yammering on about training dogs, what about TRAINING KIDS TO BEHAVE AROUND DOGS??????? ESPECIALLY LARGE STRANGE DOGS!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

Ditto!

I feel sick to my stomach... :cry:

Such poor judgement to allow a unknown animal access to an area where children are playing.

The dog should have been in an enclosed area away from the children or at the very least tied securely away from the kids.

This was a totally preventable injury.... :x

Once again the dog takes the full blame.