Dogomania

Cutting Nails

Crystal

Ok, here is my trouble. I have cut Toby's nails often since we got him. Not much just a little off the tip, mainly to get him used to it. I did bring blood a couple of times becuase he jerked :oops:

Well now his nails are very sharp. He just scratched the crap out of my neck. I was holding him and *wap* he got him. Well now when he sees the clippers coming he freaks out. I try to hold him and cut them but he starts this very horrible bark/howl thing. It kills my ears to hear it.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice. What in the world can I do to calm him down? He honestly acts like I may kill him. He even treid to bite my face 3 or 4 times. What can I do?

Try calming him down, petting him, speaking soothingly, give him treats, basically make him feel as relaxed as possible. Then maybe get someone to continue petting him and distracting him, while you clip his nails. Try maybe giving him a chew, or some kind of treat that he doesn't usually get, and if all goes well, praise him with more treats and attention, that way he'll learn to associate it with good things :wink: If that doesn't work, you could resort to taking him to the vet's..

I've tried petting him, treats, talking all sweet to him. If I'm around chew toys are totally out of the question. He has no interest in them unless he is alone.

He has started chewing everything. I thought maybe his teeth are bothering him bad and that is why he is so looney. He ate a whole in the wall! He has attempted chewing on the door. Maybe he will get over whatever his deal is and go back to letting me cut his nails easily again.

I can imagine taking him to the vet to get his nails cut. He would scream bloody murder. People would look at me like I as evil when I left. HAHAHA wouldn't those looks be something.

Try desensitising your pup to having his toes touched. Put the nail clippers away and just touch his toes when you get the opportunity while hes calm and you're lying beside him, then reward him so he associates the touch with a treat. Show him the nail clippers so they aren't like a big surprise to him and let him sniff them or lick them or just generally investigate them.

Good luck!

My goodness, why have I never heard of this before? That is the greatest thing in the world and that site really describes it well. Now all I gotta do is buy a dremel. My husband has been saying he want one, now I can agree that he needs it :wink: :lol:

if your husband wants to use it for other things as well, i recommend getting the "#8000-01 Lithium-Ion Cordless".

it has the same power as the regular corded one, adjustable, variable speed from 5,000 to 35,000 rpm (not just two settings, so if needed you can set it to really, really low to get the dog used to it) and rechargable batteries. the case includes the battery pack and battery charger.

i'm very happy with mine. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...